Questions and Updates

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Questions and Updates

Knightsaber
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Knightsaber » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 am

Hello everybody, how you all doing this year so far?

Just coming in to catch up on the project. I was just looking through the screenshots archive, and I was wondering with the Home One-type Mon Calamari Cruiser available as a download, does that also mean it can be made to be present in the game's campaign mode or something? Can someone explain to me how the downloads for vessels that didn't appear in X-Wing Alliance's original release are meant to work?

Also, the textures on the Medium-type and Lulsla-types that are featured in the game........They do look a tad dated now. Perhaps recommend a second glance at those just to be sure they're up to snuff? I mean I have no direct hand in any of these past or current projects, so I don't know better.

What are the current works in progress as of right now? I saw that really impressive backdrop pack the other month, that's really something else, great job guys! But in terms of ships and such, what's presently underway?

Also with October's releases of TIE Fighter and X-Wing on GOG.com, can we expect Alliance to eventually make it on there as well? That would be incredible.

If anyone can get me caught up on the present goings on with the project, that would be great!

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Hallo Khnightsaber,
at the moment, there are 3 ships of the XWAUP pack not present in the original XWA game: the Home One (Indipendence), the Reef Home Calamari cruiser and the X1 Tie Advanced (Vader's craft). The StarViper (Black Sun fighter) should become the 4th added craft of the list, but it's only a WIP. The added crafts use empty slots of the game, so they don't replace any of the original crafts. The campaign missions have been modified to insert these craft in the game (originally the Indipendence was the same with the Defiance and the Reef Home cruiser Maria was winged like the Liberty). All modifications needed are installed with the XWAUP patches.

There are no plans to refeat XWAUP crafts. The main goal of the project is to replace the main crafts and Installations...lot of work still to do!

There are many XWAUP WIPs, but only few will be really finished by the original authors. Many authors have left the comunity or follow different projects now: we have to understand that XWA is a 16 yeras old game!!! But don't worry, some WIPs will be finished. I'm sure about the Ferry Boat Liner, because I'm testing the final product now. Also I'm working on different XWA funny stuff outside the XWAUP...

We hope for a new X-Wing Alliance game since the year 2003. I think they don't want to refresh this game, because it's too good. Commercially speaking, a game still played after 16 years could be a problem.

Knightsaber
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Knightsaber » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 am

Okay, that makes a lot of sense actually, thank you! I had no idea that was in the pack, that really makes the game a helluva lot more consistent with the canon. Which pack is it that includes all of these changes with the Mon Calamari Cruisers included?

Glad to hear the Star Viper is in-progress. What about the Assault Transport? I saw some renderings of that a long time ago, is that still in-progress? That too was one of my favorite ships between Alliance and TIE Fighter.

I understand. But do you believe the project will reach 100% completion nonetheless? I know a lot of space installations, objects, and secondary craft have yet to be fully redone in particular, to see it all come into a full circle with the entire game upgraded would still be amazing to finally realize.

Awesome, the Ferry Boat Liner was a favorite of mine when I first bought the game.

Well they did release X-Wing and TIE Fighter on GOG.com, and those are considered arguably the best of all the games, depending on who you ask. I'd love to see them offer Alliance the same treatment, if it doesn't interfere with the amazing updates this project has given us that is.

Fiachra
Recruit

Post by Fiachra » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Surprised to see no E-Wing is included or being planned. I remember having it installed years ago and was looking forward to trying it out again with the GOG release (it was only available in the sim). The number of rebel fighters is a bit limited without it.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Fiachra wrote:Surprised to see no E-Wing is included or being planned. I remember having it installed years ago and was looking forward to trying it out again with the GOG release (it was only available in the sim). The number of rebel fighters is a bit limited without it.
Well, the goal of the project is to replace all the ships that originally came with the game. For more info check our FAQ and more specifically this entry.

Seeing how we are still a long way from completing our original goal it's pretty pointless to add even more to the workload.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Fiachra
Recruit

Post by Fiachra » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:17 pm

That makes sense I suppose. Still have the files for the E and K Wings so maybe they will still work. Thanks for the amazing job you are all doing with the upgrade anyway, really looking forward to playing it.