Any way to UN-install a craft?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Any way to UN-install a craft?

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi all!
Just a quick question. I'm having trouble with a mission, specifically Battle 4, Mission 6 (Protect Computer). It keeps crashing a little over 9min into the battle, and the only thing I can think of causing it is installing a craft just before. Before then, everything seemed to work just fine, and any crashes I've had have been during loading.

Is there a way I can uninstall a specific craft without uninstalling all of them, so I can test it out if it is indeed the ferryboat, or should I try something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also learned that, right about this time, the Super Star Destroyer comes in. After playing the mission again, I think that's the problem. I've re-installed the SSD craft and it doesn't seem to help, though. It's worked fine in previous missions.
Last edited by durka on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Which ship model do you think is causing it to crash?

Do you have the CD version? If yes, find the OPT that you think is causing the problem. Copy the old OPT file from the CD in the Flight models folder and paste it into the flight models folders on the hard drive.

If you only have the GOG version, I don't know.

Good Luck,

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks. I have the GoG version.

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Greetings, Durka

I have the GOG version also.
Nevertheless, look in the "Backup" folder that should have been created by the XWAUP "automated installers."
There should be a subfolder in there called "\Backup Craft\Flightmodels" containing all the original craft opts that were replaced (they'll have filedates circa 1999).

If you suspect an opt, copy the newer (XWAUP or whatever) opt out of your normal "\Flightmodels" folder and store it someplace.
Copy the older, original opt out of \Backups back into your \Flightmodels folder.
Test in-game and see if things now work.

Another thing to check, if you have the MXvTED tool, is whether the ship information written to your XWingAlliance.exe by the installer is correct. Especially if the name of the craft opt does not match the actual opt's name. [For example, the old "ImperialStarDestroyerESD" opt used to do this, until XWAUP re-issued it as "ImperialStarDestroyer2.opt".]

Happy gaming!

DARoot
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken ...

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the help! I just tried copying the backup .opt and still no joy. Crashing at 9:17 in the mission.

Does anyone else notice anything different that happens in Battle 4 Mission 6 that would cause a crash? I think I also did the xwa patch and xwahacker, maybe that had something to do with it?

I've also gone through other missions with the SSD and no crash, but when it shows up in that particular mission, it crashes the game. Hmm....

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 am

Greetings again, Durka

If you have the Allied mission editing tool, check your 1B4M6B.tie file.
Check to see that, in Region 3, you don't have the CRS Independence listed as a "218 Don't Use Me."
If you do, try changing that ship type to "Calamari Cruiser," save the mission, and see if that fixes your problem.

Happy gaming!

DARoot

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Durka, it would help if you could tell us what you have installed, do you have the XWAUCP, DSUCP or the individual craft installers? Do you have DTM's Superbackdrops installed?

If you do have DTM's Super Backdrops installed, it is necessary to have the following craft installed as they feature in some of the missions throughout the whole game.

Tie Advanced X1 (Vaders Tie)
Home One-Class Calamari Cruiser
Reef Home-Class MC-80 Calamari Cruiser

The only craft that you NEED to have installed for this particular mission (B4M6) is the Home One-Class Calamari Cruiser all other upgraded craft are just eye candy.

I've just played through this mission and I completed it first time.
With all the upgraded craft installed.

So it's not the SSD that is crashing your game, or the New Ferryboat Liner as that craft doesn't even feature in this particular mission.

I have a feeling thought that you have installed the SuperBackdrops, but not all of upgraded craft, such as the craft mention above.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 pm

I believe the only crafts I don't have installed is the planetary fighter and Azzamean home base. Everything else I installed individually. I also have the resolution set high and wide via xwahacker. I ended up just skipping the mission since nothing I tried helped.

I might go back through and do what DARoot suggests to see if that helps, but I don't have the allied editing tool just yet. I'll also go back and reinstall those specific crafts to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

I wonder, should I uninstall the superbackdrops and install all crafts first? I know that's the case with the Y-Wing, but not sure about the others.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:54 pm

No that's just for the Y-wing, every other craft should be ok
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Hmmm ...

Durka, could you please do me a favor?
Forget about Allied, or MxVTVED, or "Who Shot John" for the time being.

Please look in your main XWA folder for "Shiplist.txt" or "Specdesc.txt," and scroll down to the Species 218 entry.
If it says "*DontUseMe" you are in trouble.
Do you have the MxVTED tool? If so, try installing ANYTHING (doesn't matter what, for now) into Species #218.
Test the mission, and see what happens.

In 1B4M6B, the CRS Independence has a "must survive" tag. So, if you do not have a valid craft in that Spec # (called by the mission), even without CTDs at the very least you can never complete that mission successfully.

I have several versions of GOG XWA installed, including one that is "pristine" and un-modded.
I noticed a difference between the original (circa 1999) 1B4M6B.tie mission, and the one I have AFTER recently installing .. err .. something from XWAUP (we will not name names or point fingers). Thus, my post to you.
I really should have played both versions before opening my big mouth. Time constraints, y'know?
Well, if your issue persists, perhaps I should (or somebody else may do so first, and post their results).
In any event, we just want to help you.

Fix the problem.
Plenty of time to fix the blame later.

DARoot

DARoot
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by DARoot » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:20 am

OK, Durka, ya made me do it.

After several tests of the 1B4M6B.tie mission in my GOG XWA install (I wouldn't do this for just anybody, y'know?), with both the "original" TG version (dated 2/27/1999), and the "upgrade" version I recently acquired (dated 11/10/2014), I think I can tell you that your CTDs are probably NOT related to the CRS Liberty "218 *Don'tUseMe" anomaly referenced in my earlier post.
[Although, for your own enjoyment, I'd still recommend that you check and correct that, if it is part of your XWA mission version, for the reasons previously stated].

Typically, in my experience, if a mission calls for a craft that HAS an assigned Shipslot and Species Number (missions call craft based on their Species Number, at least in Allied), but the assigned .opt is missing, or named differently, or defective in some way, you can get CTDs.
If the mission calls a craft that DOES NOT have an assigned Shipslot or Species (e.g., a blank, "*Don'tUseMe" species), it just ignores it.
That does, however, present problems, if its a "mission critical" craft, or has conditions attached that trigger other things (like appearance of hyperbuoys to let you move on, or mission goal fulfillment, etc. If it never shows up, those conditions can never be fulfilled.
You get the idea.

So, (confirmed by testing) -- [SPOILER ALERT! IF any Readers have NOT played this mission, please stop reading now!]
If you (eventually) show up in Region 3 with that Dreadnaught, but the CRS Liberty does not (because it doesn't exist), you will sit around for about 20 minutes "waiting," then the Dreadnaught will hyper out, and you and your Blue Squadron Buddies can hang around "patrolling for targets" until you get bored and press Q. No CTDs, but no SSD or Independence either. Bummer!
However, if you have a VALID CRS Liberty, it arrives in Region 3 about 2 minutes after you and the Dreadnaught do, and then all h#ll breaks loose, with the SSD, an ISD, TIEs, etc. And you get the fun job of making sure that that $#%*@ E-Pod makes it to the Independence, and gets away.

So, without a valid "Independence," you cannot complete that mission successfully.
However, its mere lack probably is NOT the cause of your CTDs. You must probably look elsewhere.
[And, in my testing, at 9 minutes Mission Time I was still battling Gunboats and Ties in Region 2... But, maybe I'm just slow ...]

Were I you, I'd be looking at my Mission (using the Allied tool) AND checking ALL the craft the mission calls for with the MXvTED tool, looking for inconsistencies.
Learning to use those two tools (free for download) will go a long way toward increasing your enjoyment (you may even decide to try your hand at making new things for XWA - ya never know ..).
At the least, you will no longer (like Blanche DuBois) have to ".. rely on the kindness of strangers .."
[But, we are here to help.]

Happy Gaming (and possible future modding)!

DARoot

durka
Cadet 4th Class

Post by durka » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks a LOT. Even though I've decided to skip the mission, this will come in handy later. I'll look at it over the weekend and see if I can make heads/tails of it. *thumbs up*