How well does multiplayer work on Steam version with XWAUP?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

How well does multiplayer work on Steam version with XWAUP?

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 am

My nephew and I loved X-Wing Alliance when it first came out. He was just a little kid and mastered all the complicated controls. Amazing! Before this, he was quite the Descent player at age five. I kept telling people they were being owned by a five-year-old and his auntie. Very few people believed it. :lachtot: :lachtot: :lachtot: My reflexes have slowed down, but I bet my nephew's are better than ever.

My nephew is now in his mid-twenties. He moved to Texas to marry his wife (I'm still in California), but I thought I might purchase this game for him for old time's sake. I still have some of the skirmish missions he programmed and thought it would be fun re-visiting them so many years later.

How well does X-Wing Alliance with the XWAUP package work in multiplayer? Should I use TCP/IP with my IP address as server? I have cable Internet...not sure what my nephew has.

I'm still re-learning how to play the game. Due to installation and other issues, I never bothered to put X-Wing Alliance on my Windows 7 64-bit machines. Recently, I bought the Steam version. The game is still fun as hell, so it was worth the ten bucks. I'm tempted to grab all the X-Wing games for nostalgic reasons, even though the graphics are dated. I see that many of them now use the X-Wing Alliance engine and I'm wishing an easy way existed to replace the dated models with those created in the XWAUP package.

Thanks for the input.
]_ /\ ]) `/ ]-[ /\ \/\/ ]<<P>I always start what I finish.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 am

As long as you have the exact same configuration for the mod files and a decent internet connection you shouldn't have any issues.

And unless you're using Game Ranger or Errant Venture you'll have to use direct IP to host/join since the native multiplayer portal is still MSN Gaming Zone which hasn't existed for what, over a decade now?

Ladyhawk
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ladyhawk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:23 am

Corrann Horn wrote:As long as you have the exact same configuration for the mod files and a decent internet connection you shouldn't have any issues.

And unless you're using Game Ranger or Errant Venture you'll have to use direct IP to host/join since the native multiplayer portal is still MSN Gaming Zone which hasn't existed for what, over a decade now?
All right. I'll have him go through the same upgrade procedure I did and send him the old skirmish files. It should work that way. Then I just jot down my IP, give it to him, start a game and he should be able to join. I imagine we could find a Mumble server that would work for communicating.

Thank you. :) :) :)

-LH
]_ /\ ]) `/ ]-[ /\ \/\/ ]<<P>I always start what I finish.