Sound Issue

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Sound Issue

En-TACT
Recruit

Post by En-TACT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello - I installed X-Wing Alliance (2-discs) and upgraded the game to v2.02 with XWAUCP v1.5. I hear music, voice and some sound effects in game-play ..but no engine noise, laser blasters and explosions. I toyed around sound settings with no success. Anyone come across this and a fix? BTW I have no problems with X-Wing and Tie Fighter. My specs: Intel Duo Core 3.0ghz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 260 | Sound Blaster Audigy FX.

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I experienced this same issue with v1.5. I did some troubleshooting but never got it fixed. I ended up rolling back to v1.4 and the sound was fine again.

After I gave up, I remembered that in the past I've had sound issues if more than one sound driver is installed. Look in the Windows device manager under sound devices and see if multiple drivers are installed. Nvidia graphics card driver updates also install their own sound driver. You might try disabling/uninstalling the Nvidia driver and seeing if that fixes anything.

The Nvidia audio driver has given me headaches before.

En-TACT
Recruit

Post by En-TACT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply! I did some poking around in C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\ and found folder "Wave" contained folders "FE_HIGH_RES", "FE_LOW_RES", and a file "SFXBLASTNEW.LST"; folders had only two WAV files and the LST file was empty. Opened the original X-Wing Alliance disc to the "Wave" folder, and sure enough there was multiple WAV files and *.LSTs. Copied them all to C:\..\X-Wing Alliance\Wave and now we have all engine/blaster/explosion sounds! Hopefully this helps out who experienced this issue!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 pm

This is because the XWACPv1.5 ONLY installs the XWAUP craft, as have all the versions of XWACP.

If your installing from disc you need to copy across the wave file folder from the disc to your XWA folder, before installing the XWACP.

The Wave files have never been copied across on installation from the XWA Discs as they run from the disc.

If you installed from GOG or Steam, the wave files are copied to the installation DIR. Therefore there wouldn't be a problem.

Just noticed in 1.4 and 1.5 scripts for the installer, if you install from the disc version of XWA you got the messages when switching discs

"Please insert X-Wing: Alliance DISC 1 or 2.
Wait for the Launcher to start, and exit the Launcher,
click 'OK' to continue the installation of the XWA Wave Files."

Sorry this is a relic of the DSUCP installer and should not be in the XWACP installer, it will be removed.

In the next version I'll add a message for the user to copy across the wave folder before installing XWACP.

Just to point out this is not really an issue or a problem

You just have to copy the Wave files from your discs to your XWA DIR before installing the XWACP
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks to both of you for clearing this up.

A mod might want to move this thread to the "Soft/Hardware Problems" Forum so it will be easier to find if anyone else has this issue.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 pm

I've just realised what both of you must have done, forget what I wrote before.

Both of you installed from DISC, right?

You selected X-Wing Alliance CDROM (XWA_DISC_1 and 2), correct?

With this option selected your XWA and XWACP should still run from the disc, meaning your XWA Disc still has to be present in the drive,

But............................................

On the Component Screen there is an option in Optional Miscellaneous Files

XWA No CD Patch Option (Optional) with a message underneath stating

** NOT NEEDED WITH A GOG OR STEAM INSTALLATION! **
ONLY select if your installing from DISC!!

Both of you have checked this option haven't you??

What you have done is installed a NO CD version, so instead of the game searching the CD for the Voices and Sound Effects it now searches the XWA Installation Directory for those voices and sound effects.

But since the Wave folder is missing you hear no voices or sound effects.

And I thought I made the installer fool proof, seems not, (and sorry I'm not calling you fools :) )

It's my fault, I should have explained this in the readme plus this doesn't help much
ONLY select if your installing from DISC!!

"ONLY select if your installing from DISC"
Now I read this it reads as though it has to be selected, because your installing from Disc, as you probably understood it to read.

Could you answer me a question If I where to re-word it as

For DISC, ONLY select if WAVE & MOVIE folders in XWA DIR!!

Would this make more sense? I'm limited to how long the message can be, plus I'm going to have to add a passage in the readme.

But now would you be likely to check this option or would you think twice?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

En-TACT
Recruit

Post by En-TACT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 am

I'm running XWA on Windows 7 64-bit, 2-discs. Following instructions from a site called "X-Wing Series on Modern Windows" that provided install files (XWA-win7.zip), I first copied all files from XWA disc 1 to a temporary folder (called it XWACD) on C:\. Then ran the *.msi's from XWA-win7.zip. After XWA installed successfully, proceeded with XWAUCP v1.5 install. Selected X-Wing Alliance CDROM (XWA_DISC_1 and 2). When I came to "XWA No CD Patch Option (Optional)", it wasn't clear to me what this meant. I took it that no patch was applied and thought I will need it, so I did not check it. It would benefit if there was more of an explanation to that option. This goes for many acronyms I found in the list of options in the install wizard.

Thanks!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:12 am

En-TACT wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 am
It would benefit if there was more of an explanation to that option. This goes for many acronyms I found in the list of options in the install wizard.
Such as????

Any Suggestions are welcome
- John Lydgate

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks again for the response. I'm pretty sure I did just what you described Darksaber - I chose the option to install so that I would no longer need the disc. I'll make sure I have the wav and movie contents copied over.

I think that your new wording would be fine for the next installer. Would another option be for the installer to copy over the wav and movie contents from the disc if it isn't already there?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 pm

I thought about adding to the installer the option to copy over the wave files from disc to hard dive, so it's the same as the DSUCP, but the XWACP is really just about adding the craft, plus to be honest it would be faster just to copy and paste the files from Disc to HD.

It's the only drawback with installing from the discs, if Markus Egger who made the MSI installer had only thought ahead and made his installer copy ALL the folders from the CD it would have been better

Plus you can pick up the GoG or Steam versions (Gog preferable) for a few pounds or dollars which installs everything to HD with no mess
- John Lydgate

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 pm

I've figured out why with XWAUCP v1.5 you don't hear the sound effects or laser sounds, but if you have reverted back to version 1.4 you hear them.

I though it was that you must have checked the NO CD Options patch, but no

With version 1.5 I included a 4 new wav files and file called SfxBlastNew.lst

But the SfxBlastNew.lst is empty, you would think the game would use the SfxBlastNew.lst off the Disc but apparently it doesn't and because the file is empty you hear no sounds, it's as simple as that.

You can test it yourself, if you've copied the wave files from disc to your xwa dir, sorry but you didn't have too.

Anyhow to test it just rename the SfxBlastNew.lst to SfxBlastNew1.lst make a copy of it, rename the copy back to SfxBlastNew.lst open it clear the contents save it and test in game, you won't hear any sound effects or laser sounds.

Again sorry about this but originally all you had to do was delete the SfxBlastNew.lst

This will and has been fixed for the next version of XWAUCP, again my apologises.
- John Lydgate

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot when I have a moment.

wealthistime
Recruit

Post by wealthistime » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Upon installing XWAU Craft Pack v1.5 my in-cockpit sound effects weren't working. Per Darksaber's instructions, all I had to do was delete the file "SfxBlastNew.lst" from the "X-Wing Alliance\Wave" directory and all the sound effects work now. Thanks for everyone's hard work, I am so glad I can still play this game all these years later

EricRS75
Recruit

Post by EricRS75 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 pm

I am new to the mega pack but I love it, makes the whole game new again. I installed the game from my CDs and then updated with the mega pack. Most of the sounds are normal but I can't hear the mission specific voices. The ones that are only for that mission and none of the others. Can someone help me with this?

Not as important, when hitting Capital ships with lasers there is no visual reaction with the shields. Is this something that can me adjusted?

Can't wait for TFTC, I've wanted to play the Tie Fighter games with the XWA engine for years. Are there any plans to convert the BoP missions?
Thanks,
Eric

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 pm

For the sounds, have you checked that you have copied the Wave and Music folders from both CDs to the game’s installation folder?
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

EricRS75
Recruit

Post by EricRS75 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 am

That was exactly it, I copied from XWA1 and thought I had done all of 2, but I found a directory that needed to be copied. Any idea about the rest of it? Or where I should post the request?