XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 am

Sorry, I did not intend to cause any confusion. Targeting reticule assignment based on the number of cannons was an idea just for aesthetics purpose.
That said, I agree with Mark that standard reticule (#1) is not that great, but I also understand Darksaber's point of view.

I thought there would have been tons of comments, visions, ideas about the targeting reticule selection, but I was wrong about that.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 am
Sorry, I did not intend to cause any confusion. Targeting reticule assignment based on the number of cannons was an idea just for aesthetics purpose.
That said, I agree with Mark that standard reticule (#1) is not that great, but I also understand Darksaber's point of view.

I thought there would have been tons of comments, visions, ideas about the targeting reticule selection, but I was wrong about that.
Give it to the weekend maybe. Since Star Wars Day it's gone quiet, except for my rambles.
Also while the team will release what they think is best I still like people's opinions as it helps everyone get an idea of what they can do with these :)
Personally I'm loving them. Whenever I am in a new ship it feels more unique now. I don't fly TIEs much but boy do they get all the good toys ;)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Fri May 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Assigning reticules by manufacturer is a good idea. You might also try to set up themes by era, with early craft having extremely simple and not very useful sights and the later craft getting better sights. Complex craft like the B-Wing and the Tie Defender should definitely get the most complex sights.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Can I just point out one thing out :D

What we are referring to is called a Reticle a series of fine lines or fibres in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a telescope or microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects.

Not A Reticule which is a woman's small handbag, typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading

Sorry but I'm not installing a handbag in the cockpit, some of you may require a handbag, that is your prerogative and your free to carry whatever storage device you may require, I personally prefer either a rucksack, wallet or my pockets :D

Thank you :lachtot:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Both of these are “un réticule” in French, if you want to know where the confusion comes from… ;)
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Lol so they could actually be still talking about handbags
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Yknow what? My next ship with a cockpit will have a handbag or Laptop bag stowed away somewhere. If it‘s big enough maybe even a suitcase :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Walk in wardrobe?
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 pm

And you get on to us for going off topic. Pshh, :p
Image Image Image Image Image

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 pm

hehe sorry :D

Ok back on topic, so what was we saying about this CROSSHAIRS lol
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 am
Ok guys see if you can come up with some good suggestions for General Flyable Ships.
Don't worry about Rebels and TIEs. List is below.
That will help us and also yourselves. It can be altered personally when you get the release.

Here's the guide terms. Reticules 1 - 7. So you can pick tops and bottoms from all and match.
Don't worry if they are Rebel or Imperial it doesn't matter much. Plus they can be left default too.
Lasers are the top pic option and Missile launchers the bottom pic option.
Example an T-wing could be Laser 2 and Missile 3.

#1 Image #2 Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 Image #4 Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#5 Image #6 Image
#7 Image

Please suggest good choices to use for these ships and we will take ideas on board. Have fun! :)

CloakShape Fighter -
IRD Fighter -
Pinook Fighter -
Planetary Fighter -
Preybird Fighter -
R41 Starchaser -
Razor Fighter -
Skipray Blastboat -
Slave One -
Slave Two -
Supa Fighter -
Toscan Fighter -
T-wing -
OK after all that nonsense. Here is what I suggest people can use.
This is WITHOUT mixing up any of the options.
(I personally have done so in my ships as it's cooler)

#4 - Assault Gunboat, TIE Avenger and Vaders TIE
#6 - Missile Boat, TIE Defender
#5 - TIE Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber

#7 - A-wing, Y-wing
#2 - X-wing, Z-95
#3 - B-wing, Slave One, Slave Two

#1 - All YT Transports
#7 - All other cockpit craft. That way it's not boring standard.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:38 am

That's not bad Ace Antilles... Logical choices...I can live with that. :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 24, 2020 4:34 am

rogue518 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:38 am
That's not bad Ace Antilles... Logical choices...I can live with that. :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
But that's the thing you DON'T have to live with it! lol You customise each ship to your own preference after release.
As no one is suggesting exact numbers (use #4 for this and #6 for that), as it stand that's what may happen on release or you guys will have to set each one up individually.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:54 am

Ace Antilles... yeah I know..... :D But I was looking at your choices wasn't bad, I know we can 'mix' them up if we choose.... Going to bed.. almost 2:00am here... have one more level to complete DOOM Eternal: Deluxe Edition.... for the 2nd time. Really a AWESOME game... better than 2016, and I thought that one was great too! ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 am
Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 am
Ok guys see if you can come up with some good suggestions for General Flyable Ships.
Don't worry about Rebels and TIEs. List is below.
That will help us and also yourselves. It can be altered personally when you get the release.

Here's the guide terms. Reticules 1 - 7. So you can pick tops and bottoms from all and match.
Don't worry if they are Rebel or Imperial it doesn't matter much. Plus they can be left default too.
Lasers are the top pic option and Missile launchers the bottom pic option.
Example an T-wing could be Laser 2 and Missile 3.

#1 Image #2 Image
#3 Image #4 Image
#5 Image #6 Image
#7 Image

Please suggest good choices to use for these ships and we will take ideas on board. Have fun! :)

CloakShape Fighter -
IRD Fighter -
Pinook Fighter -
Planetary Fighter -
Preybird Fighter -
R41 Starchaser -
Razor Fighter -
Skipray Blastboat -
Slave One -
Slave Two -
Supa Fighter -
Toscan Fighter -
T-wing -
OK after all that nonsense. Here is what I suggest people can use.
This is WITHOUT mixing up any of the options.
(I personally have done so in my ships as it's cooler)

#4 - Assault Gunboat, TIE Avenger and Vaders TIE
#6 - Missile Boat, TIE Defender
#5 - TIE Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber

#7 - A-wing, Y-wing
#2 - X-wing, Z-95
#3 - B-wing, Slave One, Slave Two

#1 - All YT Transports
#7 - All other cockpit craft. That way it's not boring standard.
I understand it can be altered after installation, but still I hardly see any TIE craft having a crosshair different from #6.
It's not just Sienar, #6 also resembles the symbol of the Empire (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0220004323 )

Another thing that seems strange is A-Wing and Y-Wing sharing the same crosshair, when the first one is an interceptor and the second is a bomber.
They have completely different roles.

As for the X-Wing, it's the only Alliance fighter that we have evidence of its crosshair directly from the film Episode 4 - A New Hope.
And its crosshair is definitely more similar to #5 when the enemy TIE Fighter is in range.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun May 24, 2020 9:16 am

lol can of worms :?
- John Lydgate

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Sun May 24, 2020 9:45 am

I wonder who opened it... :D

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:16 am
lol can of worms :?
Sorry DS, I'm just going to keep on opening it because I disagree with some choices as well.

Guys, one thing I'd say is that just because we have all these choices, doesn't mean we need to use them all in one go.

Simplicity is best.

Now that we've got the options, we should reason what different reticles are actually adding to the experience. I don't think that assigning all options seemingly at random is going to give a feel of simple consistency.
Mark_Farlander wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am

I understand it can be altered after installation, but still I hardly see any TIE craft having a crosshair different from #6.
It's not just Sienar, #6 also resembles the symbol of the Empire (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0220004323 )
Sorry Mark, just don't agree with this line of thought.

Sure, #6 looks like the Imperial symbol. But 1) none of the other crosshairs really look like a company sigil and 2) why would companies use their symbol as a reticle? This isn't something they're going to sacrifice usability for branding.

#4 looks a hell of a lot like the TIE targeting computer to me

I'd bet money that DS used that as a reference, honestly.

So just make #4 used by all TIEs.

It matches the films closest, and its simple. Why bother making different TIEs different? It just gets messy that way.

Make the Gunboat and Missile Boat different if you like, as they have a different manufacturer. But mixing the TIEs around just lessens the feeling of uniformity they're supposed to have.
Mark_Farlander wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 am

Another thing that seems strange is A-Wing and Y-Wing sharing the same crosshair, when the first one is an interceptor and the second is a bomber.
They have completely different roles.
I do agree with this though.

@Ace, I'm curious what the reasoning behind your choices was? Why give the Y-Wing and A-Wing the same reticle when in most senses they have very little in common?

#2 Makes sense for the X-Wing to me. It's based off the original X-Wing game reticle. People will like that.

I'd give the Y-Wing the same reticle. It's simplistic and feels like it matches the aesthetic. Z-95 getting this too makes sense, as it's supposed to be the X-Wing Sr.

I like #7 for the A-Wing, but I think it should go to the B-Wing too. Don''t forget that these are the ships flown for the majority of the campaign. Too much jumping around on the HUD feels messy. Plus, #7 happens to match the targeting screen modeled on the B-Wing cockpit pretty well too. #3 Just feels way too intrusive for a ship that's as front and centre as the B-Wing to me.

Save it for 'exotics' like the Firespray by all means.

I like the original for the CORTs too. Seems fitting enough, if nothing else because XWA introduced that style of reticle in the same game as introducing the CORTs as flyable craft.

I'm not fussed about the others.

If trying to come up with a consistent approach based on something resembling a rule is too much 'work' and isn't 'fun' then whatever, I can do that myself.

I just feel the official XWAU stance should be as its always been. Subtle enhancements that don't rock the boat too much. We don't need to reinvent the wheel here just because there's a new toy. Throw in something nostalgiac for the classics like the X-Wing and Y-Wing. Give the A-Wing and B-Wing something that makes them feel newer. Give the TIEs something to differentiate them from everything else (and match the films) while being uniform amongst themselves.

Regardless of what XWAU eventually decides as the default, the above will be the setup I use. I'm curious to see if it makes sense to anyone else.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Will T wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Sorry DS, I'm just going to keep on opening it because I disagree with some choices as well.
Sure, #6 looks like the Imperial symbol. But 1) none of the other crosshairs really look like a company sigil and 2) why would companies use their symbol as a reticle? This isn't something they're going to sacrifice usability for branding.
Just thought they would make a good crosshair, nothing more than that, it's a just bit of fun
Will T wrote:
#4 looks a hell of a lot like the TIE targeting computer to me

I'd bet money that DS used that as a reference, honestly.

Yes it is based on that :) show me the money!

Remember it's just a game, just a bit of fun, they haven't been released yet and they may well not :?

Last chance though, I'll offer again, if anyone has an ideas for any different crosshairs, post a picture, keep it simple though, I'll need at least 2 one for the lasers another for the missiles
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 pm
Yes it is based on that :) show me the money!
Remember it's just a game, just a bit of fun, they haven't been released yet and they may well not :? [/color]

Last chance though, I'll offer again, if anyone has an ideas for any different crosshairs, post a picture, keep it simple though, I'll need at least 2 one for the lasers another for the missiles
Some random things from the Internet that may give you inspiration.

crosshairs64.png
https://opengameart.org/content/64-crosshairs-pack
pasmateRs_crosshairs64.zip

http://www.unityfreaks.com/asset.php?id=148

I believe these are from Eve Online
eve.png
https://tinyurl.com/ybl4d3ok

Google sci fi crosshairs - https://tinyurl.com/ybklugbj
And sci fi reticle - https://tinyurl.com/yb34lwxp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm

I like them all. Lol. Keep in mind too, can we add some to other craft that become flyable... Lambda Shuttle & all shuttles, CUV, TUG, Stormtrooper Transport, ATR, other craft .... I know some of those are not flyable yet. Future projects maybe.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:12 pm

I may start something here, not my intention... Years ago Darksaber offered a suggestion if anyone could come up with some pics about putting insignia's on the Xwing, you know (Red Squadron, Blue Squadron, ect) all he needed was some idea's from the community.. no came up with any pics no one, not even me… I know this is the reverse, a lot of Reticles are out there, use your imagination… I just don't want to see a good idea from Darksaber and Ace Antilles go the way of the dodo ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Sun May 24, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Bman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm
I like them all. Lol. Keep in mind too, can we add some to other craft that become flyable... Lambda Shuttle & all shuttles, CUV, TUG, Stormtrooper Transport, ATR, other craft .... I know some of those are not flyable yet. Future projects maybe.
The Reticles are in a central file. So they can be allocated to any ship with a simple text file or INI script.
Jeremy released the hook so anyone can make their own too.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Great. Thx.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Will T wrote:

@Ace, I'm curious what the reasoning behind your choices was? Why give the Y-Wing and A-Wing the same reticle when in most senses they have very little in common?

I like #7 for the A-Wing, but I think it should go to the B-Wing too.
Isn't this a bit contradictory?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.