XWAU: 20 years of memories

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: XWAU: 20 years of memories

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:00 pm

I found an old picture of the Rebel Fighter Patch

rfp-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:59 am

What year is this picture from?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:15 am

Hmm, if it's the original RFP that would be 2000 :O
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:36 pm

I cut my teeth on SW games back in the 90's with Dark Forces and X-wing on a 486 computer. Since then, it's just been onward and upward. I can't even remember which site I discovered first, this one or Darksaber's, but over the years I kept cycling back around to them again and again, along with a lot of the other fan sites like Ace's outpost and so many other, many of which are old friends long gone.

I've always been an avid mission creator, not just for SW games but for a lot of other flight sims as well. I paid for Troy's original AlliED license, and was tickled pink when I contacted him after a hiatus of a few years (and a new computer) because I'd lost my old copy of the software and license in the change. He still had me on record and I was able to press on with mission editing without a hiccup.

The work done here and other places in the community regarding content creation has just been unreal. I can't think of any other game that has gone through a fan-based life extension and facelift the way this one has. It says something that after looking at game footage and reading the reviews, I'd still rather play and monkey around with this game than invest in something like SW Squadrons. The latest rounds of improvements, the effects, and hooks and so on, have breathed even more new life into an ancient engine.

For a few years there, I thought the DSUCP was the best thing since sliced bread, but I think the next paradigm change has arrived with the 2020 megapatch,with the Frik and Palpatine tools. If there was a tool similar to those that allowed us to create shipsets with already-made .opt and .shp files it would be the best thing ever.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have kept this project, website, and game alive and kicking for so long. There's no other place (in my mind) to scratch that itch of climbing into an X-wing and taking on the Empire. And that just makes life better! :D

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:00 pm
I found an old picture of the Rebel Fighter Patch

rfp-2.jpg
Holy crap, THAT is the original source of the X-wing OPT I have jealously guarded, saved, and used right up until last week when I finally switched over to Spyder's with the 2020 megapatch! That version of the X-wing was DEFINITIVE for me for almost 20 years, and whenever I re-installed the game or a new craft pack, the first thing I did was go back and drop the .opt files for that version of the X-wing in to override whatever else was installed. LOVE that one! Somewhere along the way I'd lost track of where it came from. (I still have it in my archive, in it's own folder named "The Cool X-wing." :D

XWingSim
Recruit

Post by XWingSim » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 am

Please add the Death Star 1 missions and trench run from the Xwing game or a newer better one!

This mod has had let me play this game the way I always have wanted to with 180 degree projector screen:

https://youtu.be/-jkSkznaz3U

Now my last dream is to play the trench run like this but the old Xwing game can’t do it.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:44 am

@XWingSim It's not the goal of this upgrade, it's goal is to modernized the original game, nothing more
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death