Do you have what it takes?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Do you have what it takes?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

XWAU wants you! :D

Well we are always looking for ways to get more of this project completed, so do you think you can help?
Which of you Forum lurkers has any talent in this area?

Are there any great texture creators out there but terrible modellers?
Or can you make a great looking 3D object but have no clue how to Opt it?

If you feel you can contribute to the final goal of the XWAU then please say. :)
Most of the XWAU team has changed or evolved over the years. In some cases peoples personal projects have been good enough to be included in XWAU and others work together to create a brilliant finished version.

So why not show off any examples of the work you can do or have done here. You never know there maybe something half done you can complete or stuff you may want to start or help finish.
We are always looking for great texture people and so are a lot of other people too.

I am not making any promises here but it would be nice to know who is interested. :cool:
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Hullbreacher
Rebel Alliance

Post by Hullbreacher » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:42 am

I am extremely interested in redoing the platforms/golans/and other opts that haven't been done, but I'm still waiting for my new computer (should be in within the week!) so I can start using 3DSMax, but I've never done anything like this before so you'll be hearing from me if I actually pull anything off.
Ackbar: "IT'S A TRAP!!"
Kids: "ADMIRAL ACKBAR CEREAL!!"
Ackbar: "YOUR TASTE BUDS CAN'T REPEL FLAVOR OF THAT MAGNITUDE!"

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:16 pm

:cool: Well no one has ever done anything on the Golans to my knowledge. That maybe a good place to start.
Or maybe the Container Hangar. Something large with not too many small pieces. You don't want to get too overcomplicated on your 1st try. :)

There are a few Platform models in various states about so if you want to do one of them better ask what hasn't been started.
Good luck.

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:29 pm

I believe MWJ modeled the Golans? I know somebody posted pictures of them.
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

squarehead93
Bounty Hunter

Post by squarehead93 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm

You know I'd love to join, but I can't model for the life of me. :(

Most of the turorials tell me what I alreadyknow or go completely over my head. If anyone knows some good modeling tutorials, I'd love to know.
Wielder of The Spatula

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 am

I'm currently trying to learn to model, but it's going to take a serious amount of learning to make up for my complete lack of artistic talent, so at the rate I'm going, the XWAU project will probably be finished by the time I'm anywhere near good enough :D . Out of curiosity, what do you guys use/what did you learn on?

Would it maybe be worth me learning to texture an opt instead? I know that there a couple of untextured models about. That said, I probably won't be able to learn in time to be of any use.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:58 am

I have some skills in modelling but I don't have enough time. But perhabs I'll make a xwa model for you.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:I have some skills in modelling but I don't have enough time. But perhabs I'll make a xwa model for you.
Well the project has been going 10 years so no one says there is a rush. :lol: Although if there isn't a new X-wing game in the next 10 years I won't be happy! :kopfwand:
Will T wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you guys use/what did you learn on?
Would it maybe be worth me learning to texture an opt instead? I know that there a couple of untextured models about. That said, I probably won't be able to learn in time to be of any use.
I think learning a 3D program like 3Ds Max or Rhino is the way to start modelling. Texturing would be like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
We always need great textures to finish off Opts so that's something to play around with. But we do have high standards now. :D

Mako
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:52 pm

Vince Trageton and DTM have set the new standard for textures. They're the men you have to meet or beat.
Power without perception is worthless and of no use.
Current WIP The Lost Fleet everything else is on hold.

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes, Vince and DTM are realy great texturers, wish i would be as good as they are. :respekt:
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 am

Will T wrote:Would it maybe be worth me learning to texture an opt instead? I know that there a couple of untextured models about. That said, I probably won't be able to learn in time to be of any use.
Realistically, texturing is needed more.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Bump for 2009! For anyone new who may feel they have the brains to help.

And yes texturing is where we can fall down on too. There's a lot of good or amateur models but not many good textures.
I know of 1 ship right now that could use a texture overhaul and then would be perfect.

Mako
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 pm

What model would that be?

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 am

:? I want to know too.
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Maybe we should stickie this topic.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Good idea. Just need a mod to do it. :gott:

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm

There you go.

That'll be $20 service fee. :cash: :smoker: :cash:
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Mako
Bounty Hunter

Post by Mako » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Okay what ship ,besides the pressure tank, just needs better textures to look good?

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh wait, from me? Are these fun German play-dollars? ;-)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Dunno if those are german ones. XD

The board doesn't feature EURO emotes and I was too lazy to snoop the web for any. =)

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am

On the Golans- I lost them when my old computer, the laptop died and had to be reformatted. If I did have backups, they are on one of the many many unlabeled CDrs sitting around all over the place. :gott:
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Okami
Recruit

Post by Okami » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Id llove to think i do... i have 3d studio Max 2009, i can texture VERY BASICALLY i would need help with that.. i can make basic models though.. but out of more than one part, does that matter? i really wanna do the stormtrooper transport (y'know, the one in the cutscene where the azzameen family flee their home) but have no idea how to texture well, or how to program the damn thing. let alone, how to put it into an exe format. i wanna learn, and im eager to learn more! =^-^= please let me have a go!
Taken by Yoda, your Small Crappy Lamp was.

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 am

Major Wes Janson wrote:On the Golans- I lost them when my old computer, the laptop died and had to be reformatted. If I did have backups, they are on one of the many many unlabeled CDrs sitting around all over the place. :gott:
If you don't have time, just mail random CDs to random XWAUPers and let us sort through the contents. ;)
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Fluffy
Galactic Empire

Post by Fluffy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Will T wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you guys use/what did you learn on?
I am also curious about this and your post made me sign up to the forums to ask this question:

What tools does one need to take on the different roles of texture creator, "DXFing" modeller or OPTing?

There are only three tutorials on the main site and they seem to cover only texturing. Where should a newbie start, is there a comprehensive list of tutorials organised somewhere or can we gather one together?

I have no idea of the process involved in putting a model together and texturing it, but I really want to help as I am sure do others.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:47 pm

What to use....

Modeling: Any modelling program that can export DXF, 3DS or OBJ will do. My choice fell on Rhino 3D, but programs like Blender, 3DS Max, Gmax, Milkshape etc. will do just as well. Take your pick.
Texturing: Any common graphic programs will do. My choice is Corel Photo Paint, others use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or even Fireworks.
OPTing: There's a number of programs to compile model, textures and other information like hardpoints, Engine Glow and so on. For the basic opting you need either OPTech or Ace_DXF. I prefer OPTech for usability reasons. To add illumination to textures you'll need a program called OPT Enhancer. And Finally there's XWA OPTer that recalculates normals and reduces shading errors.

All those opting programs plus a load of tutorials you can find on darksaber's website: http://www.darksaber.pnma.co.uk/