Do you have what it takes?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: Do you have what it takes?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Commander Graham wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:10 pm
DTM wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:09 pm
Very nice Star Trek ships ... it's a very good start for a newbie! Stat Trek ships are too poorly armed for my taste ;)

Can I suggest trying to model something about Star Wars, that doesn't exist for XWA yet? You would be able to grab more attention. Also, I always recommend starting with a capital ship: cockpit issues could discourage a newbie.
Sure! I will make a victory or acclamator then show it off here.
Honestly I'd rather seen either something we don't have yet, or an update/revision of an older model that we DO have.

For a particular challenge I would say make a Container Hangar. I started one but can't get the concept I'm trying to address quite right, I'd like to personally see an attempt on that since we A) do not have a model for it, B) it's not as easy as you think since the stupid hangar is a bad design that makes zero sense on its internal configuration.

Commander Graham
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Commander Graham » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:03 pm

That sounds simple enough. can take what I learned while making my Starship bridge on the hangar.
Though I cant say im that familiar with it since I did not grow up with alliance and only got into it recently. figured that the great VR support could use some models and some screenshots for reference since the only pictures i could find was one isometric shot on a wiki somewhere just like most of the SFC ships.
"Just like Oberon"- Kwars after shooting down a Tie hunter with a lucky shot

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Since it is a hobby, one should model whatever one wants, so I don't want to give any indications ... but do you know what I would do if I were a rookie and wanted to try something? The Imperial Nebulon B (Fan design). It is funny. There are so many references on the internet, it has a simple hull but with lots of details ... and it would be something that many want to see in XWA ... just a suggestion :)

Commander Graham
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Commander Graham » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:08 am

DTM wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Since it is a hobby, one should model whatever one wants, so I don't want to give any indications ... but do you know what I would do if I were a rookie and wanted to try something? The Imperial Nebulon B (Fan design). It is funny. There are so many references on the internet, it has a simple hull but with lots of details ... and it would be something that many want to see in XWA ... just a suggestion :)
Well having enjoyed the VR gameplay of this and the seemingly infinite replayability compared to squadrons, I made some Ties and a Imperial Nebulon B WIP. Though haven't made the textures for them yet, felt that since the mod was going for a super detailed look, would try to model in as much detail as possible.

None of these are over 10k faces and while I had started on that xizor container hangar, havent encountered it in game and dont know if we have a modelviewer lying around here so i could get some actual reference besides one isometric image on the star wars wiki. though I did start it.

I had taken DTM's suggestion and made my own take on the fan design imperial nebulon B that feels like an imperial ship and makes the rebel version look like a stripped down and "made to move" version of it.

Also somehow couldnt find a Tie phantom schematic and made up a quick Tie Avenger as I had felt that the one currently in the mod's tie ball was too wide on an otherwise great model.
And realized there isnt a Tie phantom in this great mod, so made a quick Tie Phantom.

I will work on their cockpits once I actually see some references of them as Garrysmod has a great tie phantom with a cockpit that I will probably wind up using for reference.
Though I have only started playing XWA this past week and my first exposure to the TIE avenger was in Empire at war mods, So it may look a bit different compared to how its supposed to look.

I used fractal sponge's models as a reference for both ships since I cant find their schematics:

Tie avenger: http://fractalsponge.net/?p=58

Tie phantom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQtMfTfFaU
Tie avenger and Tie Phantom LSF WIP Commander Graham (1).png
Tie avenger and Tie Phantom LSF WIP Commander Graham (2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Commander Graham on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Commander Graham
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Commander Graham » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 am

Commander Graham wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:08 am
DTM wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Well having enjoyed the VR gameplay of this and the seemingly infinite replayability compared to squadrons, I made some Tiesw and a Imperial Nebulon B WIP. Though havent made the textures for them yet, felt that since the mod was going for a super detailed look, would try to model in as much detail as possible.

None of these are over 10k faces and while I had started on that container hangar, havent encountered it in game and dont know if we have a modelviewer lying around here so i could get some actual reference besides one isometric image on the star wars wiki.

I had taken DTM's suggestion and made my own take on the fan design imperial nebulon B that feels like an imperial ship and makes the rebel version look like a stripped down and "made to move" version of it.

Also somehow couldnt find a Tie phantom schematic and made up a quick Tie Avenger as I had felt that the one currently in the mod's tie ball was too wide on an otherwise great model.Tie avenger and Tie Phantom LSF WIP Commander Graham (1).pngTie avenger and Tie Phantom LSF WIP Commander Graham (2).png
I couldnt fit my Imperial nebulon B pics in the same post, here they are:
imp neb B WIP rear Commander Graham.png
imp neb B WIP front Commander Graham.png
imp neb B WIP Commander Graham.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Commander Graham
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Commander Graham » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I have also been working on a Tie Hunter for the last few days as well. As these ties and ship are not currently in the mod.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Not bad looking at all. Really great models and a good start. The TienAvenger could.maybe use a bit more detail, though of course a lot of that can be added with the textures as well.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Commander Graham
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Commander Graham » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Not bad looking at all. Really great models and a good start. The TienAvenger could.maybe use a bit more detail, though of course a lot of that can be added with the textures as well.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback,

I had kept working at it today and even animated the S-foils. As is mandated by law.

Kept adding details on the various designs I could find around the internet. I liked the small tip of the wing blasters so I added them without losing the "dagger" psychological feel of the wing shapes and not sure what that pipe was but it looked cool and was in the actual portfolio of the guy who made the original tie hunter in Rogue leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHs3BL2Lmc

ArrowLoop
Galactic Empire

Post by ArrowLoop » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:32 pm

I love that you are building the EC Henry version of the Neb-B! I've wanted to see that in-game ever since he posted it on YouTube last year!

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 am

Got really excited about that Imp Neb-B model, then realized this was the same guy who was banned for being a jerk recently.

*sigh*