X-Wing Alliance VR mod

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderators: Darksaber, General_Trageton, Forceflow, DTM, JeremyaFr

Re: X-Wing Alliance VR mod

blue_max
Lieutenant
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 pm

CaptainKoloth wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm
I've been flying for a while in VR now and it's a blast! One minor thing: I'm having trouble getting the text to be readable. I tried changing around the SteamVR resolution but it didn't seem to do much, and I don't want to start breaking ddraw and other stuff. Is there a way to just make the HUD elements and targeting computer bigger so they're easier to see? I have the dynamic cockpit turned off (as that was REALLY tiny).
There are a few things you can try. First, make sure you've got "fixed_GUI = 1" in your VRParams.cfg: that'll fix the HUD in space, so you can look around and lean to get a closer look at things. Pressing Ctrl+Z will also shrink all the HUD near the center of the screen so that it fits better; but you'll have to lean forward anyway.

Enable DC and lean closer on the instruments. You can adjust the sensitivity of your motion in CockpitLook.cfg so that you don't have to lean too much.

Still with DC on, select the option that displays the HUD or remove the "erase_region" commands from the DC files and then add the following to your Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg:

Code: Select all

move_region = TARGET_AND_LASERS_REGION, 0.35,0.55,  0.65,0.90
move_region = LEFT_TEXT_BOX_REGION, 0.15,0.55,  0.35,0.90
move_region = RIGHT_TEXT_BOX_REGION, 0.65,0.55,  0.85,0.90
That'll resize some HUD regions and make them bigger. In fact, your Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg file should already have these commands in there commented out. You can try other coordinates to see what works better for you (the coordinates go from (0,0) to (1,1))

However, I strongly suggest you turn DC on and adjust your motion sensitivity so that you can lean to read stuff better. You'll have to do that anyway no matter what option you choose.
Last edited by blue_max on Wed May 13, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainKoloth
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CaptainKoloth » Wed May 13, 2020 4:42 pm

blue_max wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 pm
CaptainKoloth wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm
I've been flying for a while in VR now and it's a blast! One minor thing: I'm having trouble getting the text to be readable. I tried changing around the SteamVR resolution but it didn't seem to do much, and I don't want to start breaking ddraw and other stuff. Is there a way to just make the HUD elements and targeting computer bigger so they're easier to see? I have the dynamic cockpit turned off (as that was REALLY tiny).
There are a few things you can try. First, make sure you've got "fixed_GUI = 1" in your VRParams.cfg: that'll fix the HUD in space, so you can look around and lean to get a closer look at things. Pressing Ctrl+Z will also shrink all the HUD near the center of the screen so that it fits better; but you'll have to lean forward anyway.

Enable DC and lean closer on the instruments. You can adjust the sensitivity of your motion in CockpitLook.cfg so that you don't have to lean too much.

Still with DC on, select the option that displays the HUD or remove the "erase_region" commands from the DC files and then add the following to your Dynamic_Cockpit:

Code: Select all

move_region = TARGET_AND_LASERS_REGION, 0.35,0.55,  0.65,0.90
move_region = LEFT_TEXT_BOX_REGION, 0.15,0.55,  0.35,0.90
move_region = RIGHT_TEXT_BOX_REGION, 0.65,0.55,  0.85,0.90
That'll resize some HUD regions and make them bigger. In fact, your Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg file should already have these commands in there commented out. You can try other coordinates to see what works better for you (the coordinates go from (0,0) to (1,1))

However, I strongly suggest you turn DC on and adjust your motion sensitivity so that you can lean to read stuff better. You'll have to do that anyway no matter what option you choose.
Thanks! I'll try these techniques and see which one works best.

MamiyaOtaru
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MamiyaOtaru » Wed May 13, 2020 11:08 pm

blue_max wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm
MamiyaOtaru wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:03 am
BUT! Process affinity to 0 helped a whole lot. I'd had it at 2. With it set to 0, the new 2d stiff is still slower (min FPS drops from 29 to 22) but the occasional horrible stutter/hitch is gone.
I did find a simpler repro
Glad you are able to reproduce :) Without the hitches it's pretty bearable, and as long as it's an option one can choose whether to take the hit.

It still seems like it has an effect on fps disproportionate to what it does, hopefully you can find some fix. Thanks for all you are doing!

CaptainKoloth
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CaptainKoloth » Wed May 13, 2020 11:51 pm

MamiyaOtaru wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:08 pm
blue_max wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm
MamiyaOtaru wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:03 am
BUT! Process affinity to 0 helped a whole lot. I'd had it at 2. With it set to 0, the new 2d stiff is still slower (min FPS drops from 29 to 22) but the occasional horrible stutter/hitch is gone.
I did find a simpler repro
Glad you are able to reproduce :) Without the hitches it's pretty bearable, and as long as it's an option one can choose whether to take the hit.

It still seems like it has an effect on fps disproportionate to what it does, hopefully you can find some fix. Thanks for all you are doing!

Can I second that- so many people across many different games either announce these grandiose mods and then never do anything, or they deliver essentially a tech demo and then disappear. But not only did you create something awesome and fully functional, but you're continuing to give your own time for free to debug and make it better. I salute you, sir!

blue_max
Lieutenant
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks for your comments guys. I've been looking at this area of the code and trying to figure out why it only seems to impact the new shaders and not Jeremy's ddraw. I do not have an answer yet; but I'll keep looking...

Joryn
Recruit

Post by Joryn » Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 am

I sure am having a hell of a time getting some playable settings on my CV1. The distortion is a bit much. Did anyone ever come up with a good set of settings for a CV1?

Trevor
Ensign

Post by Trevor » Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am

Did you try my calibration opt? viewtopic.php?p=164539#p164539

download that, go to proving grounds and check your settings using all the keyboard shortcuts provided by blue and then you tell us what the settings for CV1 are.

Trev