Forward cannons on Capital ships?

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Forward cannons on Capital ships?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Some background: I just stumbled over an old OPT of mine, the Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2. This ship is classified as a frigate, however, in order to port it to XWA I had to set its ship type to transport for one reason: Its weaponry is solely facing forward, no turrets whatsoever.

Now, I was thinking, would it be possible to create a hook to set all the weapon hardpoints (or specific ones?) on freighters and capital ships to act as stationary forward facing guns? I'm also thinking that, if something like this could be achieved, this would benefit ships that have a "main gun" like the Eclipse, my SBC Warrior or that new Xyston-class Star Destroyer from Episode 9

Would something like that be possible?
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 am

I believe so. I got the system patrol craft to fire straight with a rear working turret. It might not have been perfectly straight. Maybe it deviated 30 degrees left and right from straight ahead. I'll look into it and get back with you.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:19 am

Well the SPC is classified as transport, those are able to fire forward.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:10 am

The Marauder Corvette needs that treatment.

One potential problem is the AI. Starship AIs won't aim themselves like starfighters, and I don't know what effect giving starfighter AIs to capital-sized ships might have.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am

Actually they do, if you set a Starship's orders to Superiority, or, in AlliEd, to attack (not SS Patrol & Attack) they will always try to dogfight you :D

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Right - those are starfighter orders, not starship orders. I guess if it works, it works.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Right. For the SPC I either had it classified as a transport or light Shuttle type ship. Then in AlliED assigned it starship orders so it behaved like a starship and didn't do all those crazy twists and turns like fighter craft. The key was setting the mesh type to small guns (non-rotating). Then assign your laser hardpoint type(s). Then experiment with laser slots and map to sequences 1, 2, and then 3. Haven't had much free time past few days. When I finish with laser offsets for all the Corvette models I'll tackle the SPC next and Warbs new bulk cruiser..
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.