Death Star II upgrades

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Death Star II upgrades

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:51 pm

A project that was started about a year ago. We finally bring you Death Star II Upgrades
Available to play and download now!

@blue_max and @Vince T, with @Marco Antonio created these beauties.
Brand new models for set pieces like the Focus Chamber, Reactor Room and Core. All the tunnel elements now have 3D details, not just flat images.
The reactor room has a new force field. Core explosion has been greatly improved and it's now procedural. Textures are higher resolution.
All the things you want to see looking better when you pilot into a small space deep inside the Death Star!

DSReactorRoomTube.jpg
DSReactorCore.jpg
DSBigTube.jpg

The Focus Chamber has also been totally remodelled based on the original movies.
DSFocusChamber34.jpg
DSFocusChamber1.jpg

Something you won't see much of, unless you cheat, is the DS2 surface has been remade too!
The backdrops been replaced with a proper looking turbolaser one and the scene of the Rebel ships as you leave the tunnel.
There's even non firing Turbolaser models around the tunnel entrance! As always the XWAU goes the extra mile :D

DSEntrance.jpg

We hope you enjoy these changes and it prompts you to try your luck blowing up the Death Star again!
To see some of the improvements in action, check out the Youtube video made by @Calmputer
https://youtu.be/ItLSUCmprLg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Fuck, whats that?? A new game i have not heard of??
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 pm

Is it easier to fly the Millennium Falcon in the new Death Star now? I used to be able to fly it through there with no problem in the original XWA, but once the Mega Patch 2020 came out I was getting stuck and crashing all the time in that thing.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:00 pm

Porkins_BB wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 pm
Is it easier to fly the Millennium Falcon in the new Death Star now? I used to be able to fly it through there with no problem in the original XWA, but once the Mega Patch 2020 came out I was getting stuck and crashing all the time in that thing.
It uses a "Mini Falcon" has been resized again to match the original. I had no problem when I tried it recently.
This was added in previous updates but it's been updated for this one. You'll just have to try again.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Also some of the tunnels are now also slightly wider.

The Obstacles still spawn up in the worst possible positions, that's nothing we can fix :P
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

unmarcz
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by unmarcz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:14 pm

Wow! thats awesome!

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Nice.

I was always irked by TG's choice to start you out already flying through the tunnel; I wanted to fly the part where they skim the surface to the entrance. I understand that's still the case with these enhancements, but... well, I guess I can dream.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 am

Huh I never realized they flew through the focusing chamber.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:48 am

It's easy to miss. You only enter it, if you're taking the detour to go for the bonus objective, destroying the superlaser control node. In the vanilla game, those big green lenses were a lot closer together so you didn't see much of it. I've changed that so you could get a good view of the tunnel. It does not impact how the mission plays tho :)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear