[B1M2] Battle 1 - Mission 2: Rescue Uncle Anton

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

[B1M2] Battle 1 - Mission 2: Rescue Uncle Anton

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm

I do see a potential issue with B1M2 (Rescue Uncle Anton)
Once you dock with the platform a new set of Planetary Fighters will launch from the station and attack you. As it currently is there is no way for you to defend yourself unless you abort the docking maneuver. The PLT/Fs come in at an angle that there is no way you can take them out from the turret. Now I guess you can simply abort the docking and destroy the two waves and then dock again, but I don't think this is the way the mission is supposed to go...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:59 pm

This problem in B1M2 has something to do with the docking point of the Platform 5.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:06 pm

I explain better: if the docking position were on the surface of the platform just like with the Azzameen Station, where there is no space between the station and the docked/parked crafts, then the Planetary fighters would be in your turret arc.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes, the additional antennas on top of the station unfortunately also move the docking position slightly up.
XQ5-comp.jpg
Question is on how to best fix it. Removing the extra meshes would suck as there is quite a bit of interesting detail in them.
Depending on how the game determines where to dock (it does ignore the docking hardpoints) it might be possible to change something about the antenna meshes.

Otherwise what does work is to give the PLT/Fs a first waypoint that they need to reach before attacking the Otana. If that is placed 'high' enough you can hit them again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:48 pm

That is an excellent example, I was going to add that about the platform and associated mission.
Image Image Image Image Image

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 pm
Depending on how the game determines where to dock (it does ignore the docking hardpoints) it might be possible to change something about the antenna meshes.
Hello,
The game uses the DockToSmall, DockToBig, DockFromSmall, DockFromBig hardpoints.

The position is initialized like that, then the hardpoints are read.

Code: Select all

if( s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockToSmallPositionZ == 0 )
    {
        s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockToSmallPositionZ = XwaModelGetMinPositionZ( esp24 );
        s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockToBigPositionZ = XwaModelGetMinPositionZ( esp24 );
    }

if( s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockFromSmallPositionZ == 0 )
    {
        s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockFromSmallPositionZ = XwaModelGetMaxPositionZ( esp24 );
        s_ExeCraftTable[A4].DockFromBigPositionZ = XwaModelGetMaxPositionZ( esp24 );
    }
We can try to add DockFromSmall and DockFromBig hardpoints at the top of the platform and disable collision with the antena.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:26 pm

I haven't played this mission recently but I'm guessing you dock on top of the platform from comments.
Does that need to happen? Can't it be set to dock on a landing platform instead with a hp like Jeremy said.
Or would that make not much sense mission wise.

I'll update the list above
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:44 pm

The thing that I don't understand is why the game even docks on the top of the station, there isn't even a docking point there. It just seems to look at the highest point of the model and docks there. I tried to split the antenna meshed off from the model and set them to Antenna, but the game will still use that as the point where to dock.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 pm

The game docks on the top of the station because there is no DockFrom hardpoint.

Alpha_0-0-0
Galactic Empire

Post by Alpha_0-0-0 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Hello

JeremyaFr, I just checked the version of Platform5 I have installed which is from Platform5_v1.1.exe there is a DockfromSmall hardpoint on Mesh 3 (4th mesh)

thank you

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 pm

I didn't notice that.
So the mission should work?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 pm
I didn't notice that.
So the mission should work?
Unfortunately no, while it does move the docking point lower, the Otana docks at an angle that will again mean you cannot shoot at the PLT/Fs. Not sure if there is any way to adjust the angle the ship is docking at? Though all in all I think we just have to move the docking point around until we get a good position.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm

I've never seen a correlation ingame with the dockfrom hardpoints and where the actual docking point takes place. I'm wondering if they were intended to dictated docking points for various crafts but was never implemented correctly as it seems the game seems to decide to place the docking ship with the docked ship midline upper most portion of hull.

We could try removing the antenna from the mesh, or splitting them and changing placement and see if that affect things. Worst case scenario my suggestion would be to remove the antenna and create a second opt that can be hooked in for that mission to load an antenna-less model for purposes of mission design and leave the original untouched for when it isn't necessary to dock with the station in such a manner.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm
I've never seen a correlation ingame with the dockfrom hardpoints and where the actual docking point takes place. I'm wondering if they were intended to dictated docking points for various crafts but was never implemented correctly as it seems the game seems to decide to place the docking ship with the docked ship midline upper most portion of hull.

We could try removing the antenna from the mesh, or splitting them and changing placement and see if that affect things. Worst case scenario my suggestion would be to remove the antenna and create a second opt that can be hooked in for that mission to load an antenna-less model for purposes of mission design and leave the original untouched for when it isn't necessary to dock with the station in such a manner.
You can certainly change the position where you dock, you just cannot do so consistently. I placed the DockFromSmall hardpoints at various different locations and that does change where the Otana docks, it just doesn't change it to where you put the hardpoint. Apparently the game ignores the x-axis location for the hardpoint. You can change the y and z-axis though.
Knowing this I will give this another try. I think the Otana actually fits between the antennas...

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Okay, I am pretty sure that this doesn't have anything to do with the PLT/5 model. I just replaced that with the vanilla version and the result is the same. There is no way you can hit the PLT/Fs that launch from the station on their first run. Now it might be that the original Otana has a different turret layout, but I haven't tried that. If anybody wants to give that a go please do so.

There are two solutions for the situation. One is to make sure your brother doesn't leave the area. To prevent him leaving you have to swarm the PLT/Fs and make sure his shields never go down. When he stays he actually makes short work of the last two waves of PLT/Fs once they exit the station.

The other solution is an easy mission fix, just give the last wave a waypoint that they need to reach before attacking you. That waypoint just needs to make sure the fighters will be in your firing arc. Though with the time you need to dock you'll most likely be done with the boarding before they can actually attack you.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 am

Forceflow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:09 pm
You can certainly change the position where you dock, you just cannot do so consistently. I placed the DockFromSmall hardpoints at various different locations and that does change where the Otana docks, it just doesn't change it to where you put the hardpoint. Apparently the game ignores the x-axis location for the hardpoint. You can change the y and z-axis though.
That's ducky. I really don't understand why the hardpoint doesn't dictate the exact location of the docking point. Can we get it hooked to actually work as intended Jeremya?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm

Ignores the X component.... That's the port/starboard axis, right? For most craft, docking takes place on the centerline, x == 0. It would be an easy corner to cut, without realizing that maybe someday someone would make a craft that calls for an off-axis docking point.

Interesting that the trigger to setup the default docking point is "Z == 0". Does this mean that any docking point with Z == 0 will be ignored? Could this be playing a part in the inconsistent behavior? (Although this seems doubtful in this case, since we're trying to set up a docking point on the dorsal side of the platform, which should be in the Z > 0 region.)

It would also be instrumental to figure out how the docking angle is calculated. I thought it would have been "always vertical". There's also a known issue that if a capital ship has to turn in order to align with its dock point, it will bank, and keep that bank while docked (B0M6, bacta delivery, watch the corvette), but I don't think that applies to player craft.

superjoust
Recruit

Post by superjoust » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:37 am

Please help. Can't progress because of this bug. Can I skip this mission?
I would love to keep playing, but I can't get past this mission because of this bug. What do I do?
My ship can't dock with the viraxo Industries port and always stops on top of the antenna. So I don't know how to complete the mission.

superjoust
Recruit

Post by superjoust » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:27 am

Update, looks like a google search turned up this pilot editor
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-x-wing-a ... lot-editor

Credit to romnus. Thank you, Romnus for this! It got me past the mission.
https://www.moddb.com/members/romnus

ttenor12
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ttenor12 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:53 pm

Oh man :/ this is the third missions that has forced me to uninstall the mod. Mission 8, mission 10 and this mission have given me issues related to the mod :( I'll install it back again to keep playing, not complaining, just informing.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:04 am

I was playing this mission and I notice two ships will crash into each other the FG is STARG Viraxo Freight I have fix this with allied by splitting the FG I also half the points awarded so it will keep it the same
1B1M2FG.TIE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:35 pm

I recorded the ships crashing this was recorded on XWA 2020 patch 1.1 with all the hooks related https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2yQELaFUF8 Ships crash at 2:44

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:47 pm

So it looks like one decides to get impatient and ram raids the other one out of the way to get to Hyperspace lol

Thank you very much for finding and fixing this mission @Blazingfirestorm. It will be added to our next Update :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:59 pm

:D no worries happy to help

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Note this is for 2.1 The only issue I found is again with the map briefing cutting out before it's finish on the last page on the words "the viraxo" if I find more I'll let you know