[B7M4] Battle 7 - Mission 4: Death Star Tunnel Run

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

[B7M4] Battle 7 - Mission 4: Death Star Tunnel Run

Ping
Recruit

Post by Ping » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:07 pm

I honestly cannot beat this level, and it seems there are just so many times things go completely wrong. First thing that tends to happen is the Falcon gets stuck in the area with the containers, and often times I find myself just rotating the craft until the game detects I'm supposed to be slingshotted forward. Problem is, when the containers hit you, the game won't detect the "slingshot" and you keep on being stuck there. Next case is the part right after you encounter the Zero-G stormtroopers (I skip the part where you destroy the lens cause half the time I can't turn around properly and my wingman collides with me): the tunnel is so narrow that it seems about 50% of the time your craft just scrapes the sides and you blow up, causing a reset. Then, and probably the most infuriating thing after that, is when you blow up the reactor, the whole screen goes dark and gets this waxy looking filter, and while cool, what it means is I can't see where I'm going! It's especially difficult when the tunnel narrows, and it seems once your craft scrapes something it's impossible to correct. Am I just doing any of these wrong, or are these issues people have encountered? I want to keep the mods I have installed, but it seems totally impractical if I can't see where I'm going or what's coming up!
Last edited by Forceflow on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title Adjusted

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:40 pm

Yeah, the tunnel run has lots of issues. We are working on a fix to make this better. As for the darkness, there is a way to turn on headlights. I believe it was 'h' to do so? Not sure.
The biggest problem with the mission is that the original Millenium Falcon was way too small. This was corrected with the new model, but unfortunately this makes the tunnel run a lot harder. Most likely solution is that we will switch out the opt for that particular mission with a smaller version. Unfortunately in the current version the mission is incredibly hard. No eta as to when we will have the new installer ready. But I can tell you that we are in the home stretch right now. Hopefully we will get it out in November.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ping
Recruit

Post by Ping » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I'll admit I was starting to have my suspicions about the Falcon being too big; it seems that tunnel after the Zero-G troopers you have to go in in a very specific way otherwise it won't work. Didn't realize there was a headlight function either, you'd think they'd teach you more about the controls (like TIE Fighter) rather than throwing you in!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:03 pm

The smaller Falcon is available in Millennium Falcon v3.2 which has been out for a month now.
Please make sure you have downloaded it. Apart from that it's just down the original hardness of the mission as it's always been.

If you are using the new Effects press CTRL and H to turn on headlights.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Ping
Recruit

Post by Ping » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:08 pm

I did download all the models marked "new" when I installed the mod, guess I should do it again? Thank you!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:10 pm

Ping wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:08 pm
I did download all the models marked "new" when I installed the mod, guess I should do it again? Thank you!
If you downloaded after Wednesday, September 23, 2020 then you are fine.

Ping
Recruit

Post by Ping » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm

Gotcha, I'll be sure to double check for future builds! Managed to beat it, headlights made all the different!

LouisdeFuines
Cadet 4th Class

Post by LouisdeFuines » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Which of the 3 optional Falcons should I install to get the "smaller Falcon"?

Or doesn`t it matter. The last mission Falcon will be the smaller on at all times?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:06 pm

In the last mission the Falcon that you fly will be the smallest always.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:06 pm
In the last mission the Falcon that you fly will be the smallest always.
Ok, I'm running XWAU with the Mega Patch and I'm having the exact same problems as Ping was describing. I can't get through just about everywhere, but I either get wasted by the Zero G tunnel entrance or a similar sized tunnel entrance on the way out. I ran the mission about 10 times. I remember in the original it sometimes took 2 or 3 attempts, but it definitely seems the Falcon just can't fit in the tunnel. Once you make contact, despite going 1/3 throttle or killing it, it seems like its instant death as well. Can I use the configurator to check which Falcon version I have installed? If so, which is the smallest variant on the 2020 version?

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 am

Can you check that the 1b7m4w.ini file exists and contains these lines?

Code: Select all

;1b7m4w.ini

[Mission_Tie]
fg, 1, markings, 4

[Objects]
FlightModels\MillenniumFalcon2.opt = FlightModels\MiniFalcon.opt
FlightModels\MillenniumFalcon2Cockpit.opt = FlightModels\MiniFalconCockpit.opt
FlightModels\MillenniumFalcon2Exterior.opt = FlightModels\MiniFalconExterior.opt
FlightModels\Xwing.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingR.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingNR.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingDS.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingDSB.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingDSG.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingDSY.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
FlightModels\XwingDSR.opt = FlightModels\XwingA.opt
They’re the code instructing the game to use the small Falcon and X-W models for that mission.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 am

DarHan,

Just checked that .ini file and it matches.

beeman
Recruit

Post by beeman » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi, I'm running the version 1.6 with BlueMax' Effects.
I tried the tunnel run multiple times before finding this thread, and reducing the size of the Falcon. Now it's feasible to get to the core, and destroy it.
But now, on the way out, the image gets dark and blurry, to an extent that I can't see where I'm going, and eventually crash into something.
Has this happened to somebody? Can you help me?
I mean it's the last mission, I can do all the flying, and I love the game and all, but I'm getting a bit tired of this mission failing because of bugs by now.

Best
Zap

beeman
Recruit

Post by beeman » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Ah, the headlights did the trick. Somehow, both I and the search function have missed that "waxy and dark" mention in the opening text.

So, I made it to the end, after 6 months or so, of file downloads, frustration, and lots of fun!
Thank you for all the effort you put in, it's a great game enhanced in a great fashion!
Can't wait to see TFTC launching, also a game of my youth.