Do Rebel fighters need an AI buff?

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

Do Rebel fighters need an AI buff?

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:36 pm

I feel like they're even more like cannon fodder with the XWAU upgrades, even with the upgunned models being fixed. Case in point, the Suprosa mission and, as of right now, rescuing the Bothans from the Accuser. In the Suprosa mission, my wingmen drop like flies to the Suprosa's turbolasers leaving me alone with Dash and Luke to drive off an Interdictor supported by a Star Destroyer and TIE Fighters. Once enough fighters notice you in a brick of a Y-Wing, it's over. In rescuing the Bothans, my wingmen are usually pretty quickly taken down and I am the only one firing on the Grappler after my fellow X-Wings launch all of their torpedoes. With four X-Wings dumping every missile they have, it should at least knock out the shields completely, but most of them seem to be intercepted. Then they stop firing on it completely and proceed to fight next to the Accuser and die. Three X-Wings, three A-Wings, all usually gone within a few minutes. I've gotten as far as getting the Grappler to bug out before dying to the onslaught of TIE Interceptors. (Update, the Accuser absolutely SLAUGHTERS the convoy with no help from the TIE bombers it launches.)

tl;dr, All too often I'm finding myself doing a lot of the work myself while trying to fend off all of the angry TIEs that come screaming for my blood after mercilessly slaughtering innocent Rebel pilots, especially whenever a Star Destroyer is present.

I've been playing on Medium difficulty, by the way, which should be a good middleground.

Also, the mission hints say to shoot weapon control boxes on the Interdictor but they don't seem to be present in the subsystems. Was this always a thing?
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

CatMouthwash
Cadet 4th Class

Post by CatMouthwash » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am

Just a couple notes from my more recent playthrough:

I've been playing for the nostalgia and decided to set it to Easy. I hit the mission with the Hurim squadron and experienced a similar situation when they switch sides, my wingmen get demolished right along with the convoy. Issuing commands to them to take out the preybirds didn't do much either. I tried about 4 times and decided to go with less ethical means to stop the Hurim slaughter.

I've also noticed some over sensitivity for friendly fire. (Yeah, I could probably learn to aim better) My only craft losses are from fellow Alliance fighters blowing me out of space. By the time I get around to noticing it's my team member I'm usually in vacuum. This has happened at least twice for one mission and again in another. The last time it happened I did noticed I hit their ship before they turned on me and I didn't do any hull damage and their shields were well above 100%. I can't recall exactly which missions this was on, it was a few weeks ago...

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:32 am

Yeah, I did notice that some wingmen appear to turn aggressive against you the instant you hit them at all. Though I cannot remember if that was different in vanilla XWA. I do vaguely remember that this was an issue there as well but I am not sure.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:32 am
Yeah, I did notice that some wingmen appear to turn aggressive against you the instant you hit them at all. Though I cannot remember if that was different in vanilla XWA. I do vaguely remember that this was an issue there as well but I am not sure.
I personally have rarely experienced this problem. I think it depends on who brings who to a certain damage level. It doesn't help that the AI isn't very good with targets because Imperial fighters go for Imperial pilots and escape pods.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda