Targ's VR experience with the Oculus Quest 1

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Targ's VR experience with the Oculus Quest 1

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am

I've finally found some time to do a more extensive test of the new VR feature using my Oculus Quest 1 via Link Cable.

The overall experience is good and quite immersive.
A few issues still need to be resolved though. If they have been reported before, I apologise.

The menus move with your head, which isn't very helpful if you can't fully see them. This is especially bad when you've looked in adifferent direction during flight before returning to debriefing, as the menu stays "frozen" in that direction so you can't see much of it, not even by looking around.
Most VR-games have 2D menus always stay on the same spot to prevent issues like this.

Another issue is that when you start a mission, the VR camera is positioned above the cockpit. That issue can be fixed by pressing the period-key repeatedly until the camera's position is correct.

Also, I've noticed that the experiences tends to be a bit shaky, causing some minor dizzyness.
I suspect that it is caused by my head shaking, which isn't a problem in any other VR game I've played so far.
Using some sort of movement filter or dead zone would probably fix that.

One thing I've noticed is that the hangar part is a 2D experience.
I don't know whether or not something can be done about it.
But for VR mode (and perhabs TrackIR aswell), I think it may be a good idea to disable the outside views to prevent any potential feeling of dizzyness. That is, if it is possible at all.

To finish with a few positive aspects:
The head tracking is very good and, probably in no small part thanks to the new dynamic cockpits, you feel like you're actually sitting inside the cockpit.
The experience also improves situational awareness like never before, as you can look around you to find your target more easily.
Using a proper HOTAS like the Thrustmaster T16000m plus Throttle improves the experience further.
Thanks to the simple Joystick Configurator, you don't need any extra software like T.A.R.G.E.T.

Overall, I give XWA's VR Experience 4 Golden Emkays out of 5.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:40 pm

I have the quest 1 as well. I felt like small scale skirmishes looked great, the larger skirmishes caused some serious choppiness.
Image Image Image Image Image

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am
I've finally found some time to do a more extensive test of the new VR feature using my Oculus Quest 1 via Link Cable.
Thanks for your review, Fek'LeyrTarg!
The menus move with your head, which isn't very helpful if you can't fully see them.
Yes, this is broken in the XWAU patch, but I believe I just fixed this problem on the latest beta (1.1.5.4)
Another issue is that when you start a mission, the VR camera is positioned above the cockpit. That issue can be fixed by pressing the period-key repeatedly until the camera's position is correct.
Does this happen on every cockpit? Does this happen all the time?
Also, I've noticed that the experiences tends to be a bit shaky, causing some minor dizzyness.
We're still investigating this issue, but in the meantime there's some tips you can try here:

https://forums.xwaupgrade.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=12827
I suspect that it is caused by my head shaking, which isn't a problem in any other VR game I've played so far.
Using some sort of movement filter or dead zone would probably fix that.
I can probably implement a simple filter to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!
One thing I've noticed is that the hangar part is a 2D experience.
What do you mean by this? Head tracking was broken in the hangar, but that was fixed in the latest beta (if that's what you mean here).
Overall, I give XWA's VR Experience 4 Golden Emkays out of 5.
Not bad at all. Thanks! :D

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:16 pm

blue_max wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:43 pm
Thanks for your review, Fek'LeyrTarg!
You're welcome. :)
Yes, this is broken in the XWAU patch, but I believe I just fixed this problem on the latest beta (1.1.5.4)
Good to know. I'll check it out. :=
Does this happen on every cockpit? Does this happen all the time?
It does happen the first time I start a mission. After pressing the period-key, the issue seems to be gone even in later missions.
We're still investigating this issue, but in the meantime there's some tips you can try here:

https://forums.xwaupgrade.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=12827
Thanks.
I think I'll look into cockpit inertia. Perhabs that could improve things a bit.
I can probably implement a simple filter to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!
Anytime. :)
What do you mean by this? Head tracking was broken in the hangar, but that was fixed in the latest beta (if that's what you mean here).
The hangar scene was rendered on a 2D plane. But I'll check out the latest beta to see if that problem is gone in that one.
Not bad at all. Thanks! :D
You're welcome.
I believe XWA's VR feature has the potential to compete even with Squadrons and XWVM. :)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:16 pm
The hangar scene was rendered on a 2D plane. But I'll check out the latest beta to see if that problem is gone in that one.
This should not be the case, unless we're referring to different things here. The hangar should be in 3D, only head tracking was broken. In the latest beta, you should be able to look around inside the cockpit. You can even look around in external view while parked in the hangar, and there should be depth perception. The hangar is a bit choppy for a number of reasons, but it shouldn't look flat. The only thing that doesn't work in the hangar at the moment is positional tracking.

The Concourse, on the other hand, is a 2D image rendered on a flat surface.

I need to do something about the jittering. I either can't experience it myself, or I have learned to filter it out in my head. Either way, several people have reported it, so I'll see what I can do.

I think XWA's VR experience will inevitably be behind Squadron's and XWVM's because we're still dealing with a 20-year-old engine. But I think it can still be an enjoyable experience.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 pm
Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:16 pm
This should not be the case, unless we're referring to different things here. The hangar should be in 3D, only head tracking was broken. In the latest beta, you should be able to look around inside the cockpit. You can even look around in external view while parked in the hangar, and there should be depth perception. The hangar is a bit choppy for a number of reasons, but it shouldn't look flat. The only thing that doesn't work in the hangar at the moment is positional tracking.
Good news:
The issue is gone in the latest beta.
I can indeed look around in the cockpit. :)

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:26 pm

With the latest patch out now, I decided to give XWA VR another try yesterday.

Long story short: The experience is far better than ever before.

The jittering is gone. No more dizzyness.

One minor issue has cropped up:
-When videos or loading screens are shown, the headset tends to show the SteamVR loading screen. On the flat screen itself, everything is fine.

Also, the bug with the camera being placed above the cockpit is still there. However, the solution of pressing the period-key still works.

All in all I'm very happy how great the experience has become. :)

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 pm

It's great to read that! Thanks for the feedback.
There are still more improvements coming... ;-)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:52 am

Thanks for your review, Fek'LeyrTarg! Yes, we're aware of some outstanding problems, but as m0rgg said, we're still working on this and we have a few more updates planned in the near future. So, stay tuned!

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:34 pm

Yes the movies not playing has to do with custom videos specifically (HD videos or the animations in TFC). Something to do with not working with the hook that made that possible? Default videos play just fine on my VR headset.

On the other hand though, I can confirm that this is the best release yet! Excellent job guys! I don't even have to set Alliance.exe's priority to high and move the game off the first cpu like I did before to get a good performance experience. It just works now!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:31 am

The problem with the movies is that there's a hook that sends the image data from the movie files directly to the display, bypassing the ddraw system. Since ddraw is the part that enables VR, your VR headset will no longer get any information -- but your monitor will. Old movies use the regular ddraw mechanism, so they work in VR. We're aware of this problem, but have yet to come up with a good solution.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:18 am

Yes, I've forgotten to mention that I was playing TFTC at that time.

Good luck with fixing these issues.
In the meantime, I stay tuned. :)