Effects (Bloom, SSAO, SSDO) and VR/TrackIR Installers

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Re: Effects (Bloom, SSAO, SSDO) and VR/TrackIR Installers

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Has anyone experienced this in recent Effects mini releases.

The "ATR" bit of the name is dulled and hard to read. This happens on the other opts too.
Sometimes it's there but not always. Not had chance to look into it deeply yet.
I'm using the Wireframe version but it's turned off right now.

Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:20 am

I've occasionally seen that before installing the effects pack, I think. It might have something to do with the font fixes.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 am

Yeah, this is the better sub-forum rather than scattered across 3 (editing, hooks and VR)

Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:02 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 pm
Has anyone experienced this in recent Effects mini releases.

The "ATR" bit of the name is dulled and hard to read. This happens on the other opts too.
Sometimes it's there but not always. Not had chance to look into it deeply yet.
I'm using the Wireframe version but it's turned off right now.
Blue Max has fixed this now in an updated Ddraw.dll.
Thanks Maxxy!!

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Fringe case, I'm sure, but I've also noticed that if you turn off the shaders mid-game with TrackIR enabled inside, say, a YT-1300, the cockpit shadows get frozen in front of the camera.

Shadow rendering also appears to be based on which way the viewpoint is facing, because if I turn my head and a shadow is next to me, the shadow moves as the viewpoint does.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm
Fringe case, I'm sure, but I've also noticed that if you turn off the shaders mid-game with TrackIR enabled inside, say, a YT-1300, the cockpit shadows get frozen in front of the camera.
How are you turning of the shaders?
Shadow rendering also appears to be based on which way the viewpoint is facing, because if I turn my head and a shadow is next to me, the shadow moves as the viewpoint does.
Yeah, I'm aware of this, I'm still not sure how to fix it, though.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 am

blue_max wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:16 pm
Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:43 pm
How are you turning of the shaders?
Via the key combo listed in the installer. Ctrl-Alt-O, I think it was. I'll change this when I can look again.

I also don't suppose you saw my report about TrackIR not uninitializing until XWA is started again?

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:40 pm

For kicks I wanted to see how the game played without the extra stuff, just TrackIR.

If I don't install anything else, I get no text in-game. Lighting is fairly broken, too.

Dynamic Laser Lights seem to get installed regardless of whether I opt in for them or not, and at least in the case of the YT-1300 turret mission, red lasers emit green lights.

Explosions seem to be... off, as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Dynamic Laser Lights seem to get installed regardless of whether I opt in for them or not,
XWA has its own "local Light Sources" option, did you disable that?

Trev

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Actually forgot it had those. But I just gave up and installed all the graphics enhancements anyway, so it ultimately doesn't matter now. Trying to play the game with a quality of life enhancement without breaking balance is hard and, well, everything in general is hard... apparently. :?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 am
I also don't suppose you saw my report about TrackIR not uninitializing until XWA is started again?
I'm not sure where this was reported, but I did take a look. The API call to close TrackIR is being called here:

https://github.com/Prof-Butts/Hook_XWAC ... R.cpp#L201
https://github.com/Prof-Butts/Hook_XWAC ... .cpp#L1581

So, I'm not sure what else needs to be done here. Not having TrackIR myself, this is a bit hard to test. but I'll double-check the documentation.

One thing I can say is that sometimes setting "ProcessAffinityCore = 0" helps shut down things faster in XWA, so, maybe you can try that.
Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:40 pm
For kicks I wanted to see how the game played without the extra stuff, just TrackIR.
If you only want TrackIR, without any effects, this is possible. Probably the easiest way would be to install/configure effects 1.1.3.2 and then replace ddraw.dll with Jeremy's version. In other words, you only need to have Hook_CockpitLook.dll configured to do TrackIR.
Explosions seem to be... off, as well.
I don't think that's an explosion, it's gas. It blooms a bit with the effects, but even without it, I think you'll get a very similar effect.

Sorry if there are some artifacts when disabling the effects. That's an option I don't test very often -- because why would I? :P When I want to see the game without any effects, I use Jeremy's ddraw instead.

MichelangeloS
Recruit

Post by MichelangeloS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 am

blue_max wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 am
1. Install XWAUP 1.6
2. Optional: You can check that the regular game is working properly at this moment. It should run and play well.
3. Install "Effects by Blue Max 1.1.3.2", select SteamVR during installation
4. Download the update I posted above and configure VR_Mode=SteamVR in VRParams.cfg. This step is temporary and won't be needed once version 1.1.4 is out.
5. Optional but highly recommended for VR: Install the Dynamic Cockpits (also in the downloads section)
6. Run SteamVR
7. Run XWA (you do not need to run Steam at all, you can run XWA directly).

Yes, you're right. I need to make a post with these steps somewhere so that people can find it easily.

You may also install other updates, but I think the above is the bare minimum to get the game working in VR.
You Rock!! it works now!
thanks a lot . I had a blast playing already!!
I want to record this gameplay and share the good news of how to do it.
I will add a link it to you guys so you will get more followers and support.
One thing I noted was that the mirrored image in the monitor seems to be distorted like compressed and I can see 2 big black bars on the sides. Is there any way to set the mirrored image resolution?
I remember I selected 1920x1080 when installing the mod.
On VR it looks great, it is just the mirrored image.

PS: The game started at the concourse instead of the normal start, is this normal? do I have to create a new pilot to play the initial missions as the campaign?

Once again, thanks!

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am

MichelangeloS wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 am
PS: The game started at the concourse instead of the normal start, is this normal? do I have to create a new pilot to play the initial missions as the campaign?

Once again, thanks!
Yes, do not start the game using the Quickstart option but the regular launcher and then select the pilot options to create a new pilot.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm

MichelangeloS wrote:
One thing I noted was that the mirrored image in the monitor seems to be distorted like compressed and I can see 2 big black bars on the sides. Is there any way to set the
Thanks for your comments, Michelangelo5. Can you provide a few more details regarding your setup? I'll need the per-eye SteamVR resolution, the in-game resolution (I believe you set it up as 1920x1080) and your desktop's resolution.

I *think* this is normal because the per-eye resolution tends to be half as wide as your desktop's resolution. To compensate, the image is centered and two vertical black bars appear on both sides. If you can post a picture, it would be easier to determine. One way you can tell is by checking something that should be square or round, like the left and right sensors: do these elements still appear round in your mirror image? If so, then there's no distortion.

MichelangeloS
Recruit

Post by MichelangeloS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:48 pm

blue_max wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm
MichelangeloS wrote:
One thing I noted was that the mirrored image in the monitor seems to be distorted like compressed and I can see 2 big black bars on the sides. Is there any way to set the
Thanks for your comments, Michelangelo5. Can you provide a few more details regarding your setup? I'll need the per-eye SteamVR resolution, the in-game resolution (I believe you set it up as 1920x1080) and your desktop's resolution.

I *think* this is normal because the per-eye resolution tends to be half as wide as your desktop's resolution. To compensate, the image is centered and two vertical black bars appear on both sides. If you can post a picture, it would be easier to determine. One way you can tell is by checking something that should be square or round, like the left and right sensors: do these elements still appear round in your mirror image? If so, then there's no distortion.
Sure.
The per eye steam resolution is 1912 x 2124 (I can set other values freely)
The ingame resolution that I selected on the mod installation was 1920x1080 and the desktop resolution was 1920x1080 (I can try to play in 4k also)
I've recorded a video to show the steps to do this already so I think it would be even better than a picture heheheh
https://youtu.be/JdqU70TC19Q

If we can fix the aspect ratio I can record a new updated video as well.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Alright, yes, that's quite wrong. I'll fix it. Thanks for the information and nice video! What computer/headset are you using?

MichelangeloS
Recruit

Post by MichelangeloS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:39 pm

blue_max wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 pm
Alright, yes, that's quite wrong. I'll fix it. Thanks for the information and nice video! What computer/headset are you using?
I7 + GTX 1080 + Windows 10 and Vive Pro. Steam Installation of X-Wing Alliance.
You are welcome, kudos to you guys as I mentioned on the description.

Edit: just to clarify something. Vive Pro physical resolution is: 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined) but SteamVR by default at 100% it sets the resolution to 2016x2240 per eye!

You are most welcome to subscribe, I've started already the Game Development career to create a VR game in the future, I would love to have you checking some game videos, and I will of course add directly of this mod, I will start playing the game back again :)

Cheers!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 am

That's a nice system. I might end up buying something like that later.

Please, download the latest beta (July 31). I just added 2 parameters to VRParams.cfg to help you configure the mirror window:

Code: Select all

; Set the following value to something greater than 0 to override the aspect
; ratio that is computed automatically by ddraw with your own setting.
steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio = 0.0

; You can change the zoom in the mirror window with the following setting.
; Values lower than 1 will magnify the image, values greater than 1 will shrink
; the image. The default is 0.7
steamvr_mirror_window_scale = 0.7
I could not reproduce the issue on my end, but you can set "steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio" manually to help you fix the mirror window. You don't need to restart the game to reapply the setting, just press Ctrl+Alt+L: that should reload VRParams.cfg and apply the new aspect ratio.

MichelangeloS
Recruit

Post by MichelangeloS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 am
That's a nice system. I might end up buying something like that later.

Please, download the latest beta (July 31). I just added 2 parameters to VRParams.cfg to help you configure the mirror window:

Code: Select all

; Set the following value to something greater than 0 to override the aspect
; ratio that is computed automatically by ddraw with your own setting.
steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio = 0.0

; You can change the zoom in the mirror window with the following setting.
; Values lower than 1 will magnify the image, values greater than 1 will shrink
; the image. The default is 0.7
steamvr_mirror_window_scale = 0.7
I could not reproduce the issue on my end, but you can set "steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio" manually to help you fix the mirror window. You don't need to restart the game to reapply the setting, just press Ctrl+Alt+L: that should reload VRParams.cfg and apply the new aspect ratio.
Great! I will download it now and try it during the day.
What are the valid possible values for steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio to set an specific aspect ratio?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm

MichelangeloS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm
What are the valid possible values for steamvr_mirror_aspect_ratio to set an specific aspect ratio?
Anything other than 0. For your case, I imagine it will be something bigger than 1 so that it expands the X-axis. I'd try 2124/1912 = 1.11 first in your case and then go up a little bit until it looks right. Feel free to post your settings!

MichelangeloS
Recruit

Post by MichelangeloS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm
MichelangeloS wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm
Anything other than 0. For your case, I imagine it will be something bigger than 1 so that it expands the X-axis. I'd try 2124/1912 = 1.11 first in your case and then go up a little bit until it looks right. Feel free to post your settings!
but how does it works? how do I know what values to use? that is my real question hehehe
I tried already and it looks better but not perfect yet
At least I can record some gameplay now heheh: https://youtu.be/WaTNfS_M8Ws

so how does that setting work? I want to understand to set the quality correctly.

Bonus: check the video to also find Voicecontrol applied to the game, I created a Voiceattack profile and it works AWESOME with this.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:44 pm

The aspect ratio is multiplied by the x-axis. I don't know which setting will work for you. You'll have to experiment a bit, sorry

nuttyapprentice
Recruit

Post by nuttyapprentice » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi, in steamvr everything works except the hud moves with the headset, not like when you have "fixed" set to 0 though. Its fixed in the direction of the cockpit and you can rotate your head to see everything but it moves in the x,y,z axes with your head. The positional tracking is fine with the 3d cockpit though. Have I missed a setting?

Also, I've got dynamic and active cockpits installed, does it not work for the millenium falcon at the start? I'm guessing not, im yet to try another craft.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:56 pm

nuttyapprentice wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:31 pm
Also, I've got dynamic and active cockpits installed, does it not work for the millenium falcon at the start? I'm guessing not, im yet to try another craft.
As stated in the installers Dynamic Cockpits are only for the main Rebel and TIE starfighters currently.

nuttyapprentice
Recruit

Post by nuttyapprentice » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:11 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:56 pm
nuttyapprentice wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:31 pm
As stated in the installers Dynamic Cockpits are only for the main Rebel and TIE starfighters currently.
Missed that in the readme, thanks. I can live with weird fixed/not fixed gui for now then. Can't believe how good it runs in VR!

Found one issue with stuttering during battles, fps comes to a crawl when you hit a craft with your laser, turned off the hit effect option in the settings and that fixed it,. You dont seem to miss much now except a strange red glow when laser impacted. Maybe useful info for someone else..