Latest Beta Release of the VR mod

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Re: Latest Beta Release of the VR mod

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:57 am

blue_max wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 pm
The Gun Turret has some limitations (as far as I remember, mouse look can't be enabled while the turret is active, meaning that head tracking won't work either); but the other areas you're asking about should work well.
I understand that, there mere fact it works at all is a miracle. :D I'm sure it would have to be some additional hook magic to be in order for that. Though it is a little odd the reticule is stuck forward.
I need to take a look at what's happening with the tracking in the hangar and during hyperspace. The jitter in the hangar might be related to VSync, so you might want to toggle those settings in DDraw.cfg.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that!

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:53 am

Another thing I notice that the HD movies from Ace's site doesn't seem to play in VR, it just goes black and you hear the sound. I wonder if it plays such movies differently from the default ones.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:17 am

Alright, so I need to check the tracking, the gun turret and the HD movies. I'll get to all of that, just need some time.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you need to get on that now. Of course take all the time you need be it months or years. I just didn't see that stuff reported and wanted to make sure you knew.

Jorrel
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jorrel » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:14 pm

I got this working before, but I did a fresh reinstall/redownload of the Mega Patch and 3.0. I'm trying to reinstall the Beta effects (from the download page) and I'm stymied because I can't find the installer the Readme keeps mentioning. Furthermore, vrparams.cfg also isn't included in EffectsByBlueMax_beta_v2021-05-18.zip (and, I presume, many other VR-specific files).

What am I missing?

EDIT: Actually, almost immediately after posting this, I found the "correct" Downloads page (not the one linked on the sidebar) with the installers. It looks like the sidebar link is outdated.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:19 am

First I wanted to say, fantastic job with the new Update 4 release. Performance wise has been an excellent improvement over before. Esp while more is going on.

Question though, In Steam VR, is there the ability to move your head on the X Y and Z axises? Right now I can only rotate my head. I seem to remember there being so in the past, but maybe I'm thinking of another game. Or is there some limitation that stops you from having that feature?

Oddly enough, your head inadvertently moves left and right on the X axis when you turn you head while in hyperspace.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm

@darklord: Translational motion was broken in SteamVR a while ago, have you tried downloading the latest Effects beta from the Downloads page?

Also, it must be noted that you won't get translational motion while in the hangar, that's something we haven't been able to figure out yet.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:43 pm

blue_max wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm
@darklord: Translational motion was broken in SteamVR a while ago, have you tried downloading the latest Effects beta from the Downloads page?

Also, it must be noted that you won't get translational motion while in the hangar, that's something we haven't been able to figure out yet.
All Beta downloads are included in the XWAU Update 4.
So there is no need to add them until the next Beta release
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 am

I do have Update 4.

So you are saying other games are effected as it's a SteamVR issue? Unfortunately the only other VR game I have War Thunder, and it seems to work there.

If there is an issue with SteamVR, and shouldn't happen at all, why does it accidentally do it when you rotate your head while in Hyperspace?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:48 am

@darklord No, this isn't a SteamVR issue, positional tracking was disabled by mistake in ddraw a while ago, but I fixed it. That's why I asked if you had downloaded the latest ddraw beta.

Can you try applying the latest patch on a clean install of XWA? Do not wipe out your current install, just create a new one. If you have multiple cockpit look hooks, they may be interfering with each other. By applying the update on a clean install, we can rule that out.

Another thing you can try is downloading the latest ddraw beta -- just in case.

I'm also going to take a look. I don't recall seeing this behavior, but maybe it's broken again!

TIE_Dome
Recruit

Post by TIE_Dome » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi, I am as of yesterday trying to play in VR with TFTC
and I have read on forums that since the XWAU2020update v4.0 the EffectsByBlueMaxv1.1.4.exe is not needed, as now are included on the update4.0... but when I change the CockpitLook.cfg to tracker_type = SteamVR , it doesn't work.
currently it does Start steam vr, when launching the game, but nothing shows on the headset, just steam vr grid , and the game runs on my monitor/flat screen, but nothing going on in the VR headset.
yesterday I did it old school way, installing the EFfectsBybluemax v1.1.4.exe and the game did run in vr fine ( albeit very laggy )
so I'm wondering if for the time being we can't rely only XWAU2020update v4.0 ? as it might not be fully working yet, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

**EDIT! stupid mistake fixed**

I MISSED a basic and crucial step, needed to go to Babu Frik's configuratior for TFTC and set up VR options ON...

before I was trying to edit the CockpitLook.cfg myself on a text editor... do not do that, babu frik's configurator for TFTC is the way to go

thanks,

If there are any optimizations tips ? currently I run an amd 5950 and a rtx3090 and the game in the hangar is very laggy still. Any tips would be appreciated. for Steam VR and valve index
Thanks,

TIE_Dome
Recruit

Post by TIE_Dome » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:47 pm

@blue_max quick question. Is there a way to re-set the position of the VR headset inside the cockpit?

I have this issue that for TFTC very first mission, start the mission correctly seated in the TIE fighter pilot position, press space bar to leave the hangar and it autoplays a 3rd person view of the tie fighter flying off the hangar, and when it resets you back inside the cockpit to get on with the game, now the pilot view ( ie the vr view ) is like 1 m up and half a meter to the right... like if the pilot stood up and did a step to the right... very odd.

is there a button to reset head position to the centre of the cockpit as it should be ?

thanks!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:22 am

TIE_Dome wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:47 pm
@blue_max quick question. Is there a way to re-set the position of the VR headset inside the cockpit?
is there a button to reset head position to the centre of the cockpit as it should be ?
Look straight forward and press the period key "." twice. The first time it will remove the cockpit, the second one the cockpit will come back, centered.

I'm sorry you're having problems with VR. I'm aware of the jittering issues, and I'm trying to do something about it.

BTW, you _can_ manually change to SteamVR, but you need to modify both CockpitLook.cfg _and_ VRParams.cfg. But, as you said, it's better to use the Babu Frik configurator.

We have the following threads with some performance tips for SteamVR:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12490
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12827

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:47 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:48 am
@darklord No, this isn't a SteamVR issue, positional tracking was disabled by mistake in ddraw a while ago, but I fixed it. That's why I asked if you had downloaded the latest ddraw beta.
Sorry for the late reply. The last Beta is from May 18th. Before the Update 4, Is this correct? Or is there another place I should get it other than the XWAU downloads section?

I tried swapping the 5/18 ddraw.dll from a clean install of Update 4 but no luck, the head is fixed transitionally.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 am

darklord wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:47 am
Sorry for the late reply. The last Beta is from May 18th. Before the Update 4, Is this correct? Or is there another place I should get it other than the XWAU downloads section?
That is the latest release, and it should have the fix. Have you checked that you only have one Hook_CockpitLook.dll? Any DLL files you have in the XWA directory are candidates to be loaded as hooks, and if you have two versions of the same hook, they may interfere with each other.

I've probably suggested this already, but have you tried a clean install?

I'll try to take a look at this soon.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:12 pm

Dang! than I didn't do this right. I had renamed the old dll's so I could switch back to them easily. What you are telling me is that would easily screw the results. My apologies. I won't be able to try again till late tonight. Sorry about that!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:51 pm

No worries. Just to be clear, if you renamed the extension from, say, .DLL to .DL_, then you're safe; but if you kept the same extension, that's when you'll get into conflicts with the hooks.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:44 am

Great news! It was me all along. I had spoken to my brother about the issue, who owned this particular headset, a Samsung 800ZA, before I. He said translation was infact working great for him with XWAU patch 4 with his headset, and that there was a bit of weirdness with the Samsung one where translation would stop working. He said he would use occasionally have to bounce the connection to make it work. And also for me to make sure it was working in Windows Mixed Reality before hand (good advice in general). I guess this explains why I remembered it working in the past XD.

Thanks blue_max for your advice. At least its good to note whatever bug you fixed made it into patch 4 :)

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:45 am

One thing that I'm sure is actually a thing this time and not just user error XD. It seems with TFTC the custom videos do not play on the headset in SteamVR (the totaly games intro does play normally though). But if it's a custom video, the head set will freeze while the movie plays on the regular monitor. This happens with a lot of the UI as you can imagine. Actually its the same thing happened with Ace's HD video pack in regular XWAU, so I bet that is related.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:59 am

I'm glad you figured out what was the problem. I'm not sure what "bounce the connection" would mean, though. Maybe if you could elaborate a little bit on that, it might help others in the future.

Thanks for reporting the video playback issue in VR. I'll take a look.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 am

Sorry, unplug and replug it in.

Kodachrome
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kodachrome » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:25 am

Is there an updated basic steps to get this working?

Tried yesterday feesh install of
XWA steam version, Xwau, patch 4.

In the config tool I set all the Steam VR options on.

On Launch I get (WMR Headset, reverb G2) the VR pop-up "launching xwingalliance.exe, please wait"... But it never takes over the VR screen, the concourse opens in the background on my 2d monitor and runs at 1frame every 3sec.

Im on Windows 11pro (early access, may or may not be the problem), RTX 3090, latest drivers etc.
The failure to launch properly seems like a hook issue to me, I've seen it sometimes happens with Vorpx too.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 am

Not sure it will help but sometimes I have to alt-tab or click on the game window for it to start the display on the HMD.
Do you get any error? Does the game "work" in the background, even at 1/3fps?

Kodachrome
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kodachrome » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:22 am

I did try Alt Tabbing when trying to recover from the near crashed app. The game is running (on monitor only) , just mind numbingly slow at that speed!

Kodachrome
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Kodachrome » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 am

Hmm... Same issue and same usage of WMR as reported here in December 2020. :(
https://xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 36&t=13176