[Help] SteamVR issue

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

[Help] SteamVR issue

delastone
Recruit

Post by delastone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:02 am

Hi all,

I am having an issue with SteamVR. So I first start steamVR, launch the game via the exe XwingAlliance or Alliance .

So everything will run on my computer screen. But... it seems my VR is being detected because when I move it the view in the cockpit also move. But the game in only display on my computer monitor, not in the VR. Sound and tracking movement are correctly recognize by VR but not the display.

Also note the concourse is not VR. I am not sure if that part is supported anyway.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here...

I have got that log text from CockpitLook.log

Cockpit Hook Loaded
Using SteamVR for tracking
Yaw multiplier: 1.000
Pitch multiplier: 1.000
Yaw offset: 0.000
Pitch offset: 0.000
External tilt: -1820
Parameters loaded
InitSteamVR()
VR_Init --> g_pHMD: 0x63ee6020, error: 0x0
VR runtime loaded

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 am

Did you install the latest Effects (1.1.4) from the Downloads page? If so, open VRParams.cfg and make sure you have:

VR_Mode = SteamVR

in there, then restart the game. Tracking is also enabled in the Concourse.

Also make sure you've got the latest Effects beta.

boglyft kerensky
Recruit

Post by boglyft kerensky » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:46 pm

Hello! First off let me say I'm in awe of your work. The amount of love and dedication on display here is incredible.

I'm also having problems with SteamVR. I've tried the stable and beta of SteamVR and downloaded the 1.6 XWAU files and installed them in the recommended order + latest Effects beta.

The concourse is fixed in space and usable by looking around. The mouselook emulation/hook works in hangar, but in flight head tracking doesn't work. Pushing scroll lock activates mouselook, numkeys and joy POV hat also work, just not head tracking. Some 2D hud elements float in space and move relative to the HMD.

So this is looking down to my left, HUD moves and the nose remains centered in view:
https://i.imgur.com/W2hBEjx.jpg

What's stranger still is the roll axis seems to work, just nothing else (inc. positional):
https://i.imgur.com/6GBQjAD.jpg

I installed with defaults+SteamVR and haven't fudged with the files, both VRParams.cfg and CockpitLook.cfg use SteamVR

CockpitLook.log:

Cockpit Hook Loaded
Using SteamVR for tracking
Yaw multiplier: 1.000
Pitch multiplier: 1.000
Yaw offset: 0.000
Pitch offset: 0.000
External tilt: -1820
Parameters loaded
InitSteamVR()

^ should there be a line about "VR_Init" or "VR runtime loaded" there?

boglyft kerensky
Recruit

Post by boglyft kerensky » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Darn, now I found Wiiplay123 having the same problem in June http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 32#p169932

I'm also running Win 7 64-bit so I guess that's the dealbreaker...

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:31 pm

boglyft kerensky wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm
Darn, now I found Wiiplay123 having the same problem in June http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 32#p169932
SteamVR seems to have some issues running on WIn7. Most people get it to work on Win10 without problems, though.

I believe you mentioned that you have "tracker_type = SteamVR" in CockpitLook.cfg. Yes, you should see a line that says "Using SteamVR for tracking" (or something to that effect).

Silly question: how are you running XWA? Try running SteamVR first, and then run xwingalliance.exe directly (do not use the launcher).

boglyft kerensky
Recruit

Post by boglyft kerensky » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm

I leave SteamVR running in the background. I tried running the Oculus software, Steam, SteamVR and xwingalliance.exe all as Administrator, same issue. Other SteamVR games like BallisticNG, Subnautica, DCS and RBRvr work fine.

I do have a Win10 laptop with a non-Ti 1050, wonder if it could actually run a Rift CV1 :crazy7:

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Quick question: how are you testing? Skirmish or campaign mission?

boglyft kerensky
Recruit

Post by boglyft kerensky » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:33 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:11 pm
Quick question: how are you testing? Skirmish or campaign mission?
Tried simulator skirmish, simulator TOD mission and ongoing campaign mission. Also tested one of the ships with a non-dynamic cockpit (first screenshot)

If it makes any difference I'm running the GOG version.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:56 am

Just want to say that I'm aware of this problem and I'm not ignoring it. I don't have access to a Win7 machine that would be capable of running SteamVR, so debugging this is a bit difficult for me. From the symptoms that people have described, it sounds like the problem is that SteamVR does not allow 2 simultaneous connections. In this case, both ddraw.dll and Hook_CockpitLook.dll need to connect to SteamVR and for some reason, only the connection from ddraw.dll is successful, even though Hook_CockpitLook isn't logging any errors. So, I'm not even sure this is the problem and fixing it isn't trivial. Sorry, but at the moment I'm not sure how to proceed here.

boglyft kerensky
Recruit

Post by boglyft kerensky » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Please don't feel the need to apologize! I'd rather you enjoy developing this mod and not burn out so you'll keep at it longer :D

Oculus themselves are liable to drop Win7 support any day now, can't really expect mod makers to bend over backwards to support tech that's on it's way out