Headtracking Camera Jumping with XWAU 2020

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Headtracking Camera Jumping with XWAU 2020

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:36 pm

With the current XWAU implementation, whenever you press a button on a keyboard or controller, the camera pitch jumps down several degrees for a split second. I don't recall this being present when using the standalone 1.3.2 install using the prior release pack.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:36 pm
With the current XWAU implementation, whenever you press a button on a keyboard or controller, the camera pitch jumps down several degrees for a split second. I don't recall this being present when using the standalone 1.3.2 install using the prior release pack.
There's no release 1.3.2 for the VR mod, did you mean release 1.1.3? Can you tell if the camera is re-centered when you press keys or just pitches down? Can you post a short clip of the problem?

Silly question: Have you done the calibration of your headset in SteamVR?

Have you tried looking forwards and re-centering your view by pressing the period key twice?

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:15 pm

I think this may be related to the new "fake head tracking" from the keyboard arrows.
I saw the same with the latest beta when the joystick emulation was enabled.

Maybe due to this?
https://github.com/Prof-Butts/xwa_ddraw ... 18f86dR625

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:44 pm

I should point out that my case is TrackIR-related, not VR-related, but since this is max's domain I figured I'd post it here.

Incriminating video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntalq-ctScU

It's not a case of not being centered or recalibrated- more like it's resetting to somewhere to or near the Y-axis zero whenever a button is pressed.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:05 am

If I remember correctly, the fake head tracking was for SteamVR, so I'm not sure it's related.

Is there a chance that your TrackIR profile may be mapping some keys to the re-center function? I believe the XWAU 2020 comes with a TrackIR profile as well, have you tried that?

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:49 am

Well, for one my re-centering button isn't anywhere near what I press for XWA, so I know it isn't that. The software has a dedicated keybind that is whatever you map it to yourself, with the default being F12. It's also not actually re-centering here. TrackIR centers based on where you're looking, so if it was actually re-centering it would always be snapping back to 0,0 and then it would be offset to the point of silliness. Here it's just snapping to or just below the 0 point of the Y-axis and going right back, kind of like trying to use the padlock view with TrackIR enabled.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:04 am

Well, next silly question: did you press Scroll Lock before this, or are you enabling "Mouse Look" while using TrackIR? You're not supposed to enable mouse look with TrackIR, it should work without it.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:13 am

Nope, none of that applies.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:32 pm

I should also point out that if one simply sets headtracking to "None" without running the installer to disable it or the tracking camera is not turned on, the camera pitches upwards infinitely. Before it would just be offset by 20 or so degrees down and to the left.

Video here. https://youtu.be/4yQV9UMwZfY

I can move the camera side to side while it's pitching with both the keypad and mouse but it just keeps going. I can also center it, but it just starts again immediately on releasing Numpad 5.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:00 pm

I have no idea what's going on. Setting "tracker_type = None" should stop the cockpit from rotating at all. Maybe you've got two hooks trying to control the mouse? Did you perhaps make a backup copy of Hook_CockpitLook.dll and left it in the same directory?

Have you downloaded the latest beta for the effects? It includes the latest version of Hook_CockpitLook.dll and you can reload TrackIR while flying by pressing Alt+T. You can try that as well to see if it helps.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Hey I just thought of something: what happens if you disable the Hook_CockpitLook.dll (just rename it to "Hook_CockpitLook.dl_") and then you enable mouse look (Scroll Lock)? Do you still get the spinning camera?

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:56 pm

blue_max wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:07 pm
Hey I just thought of something: what happens if you disable the Hook_CockpitLook.dll (just rename it to "Hook_CockpitLook.dl_") and then you enable mouse look (Scroll Lock)? Do you still get the spinning camera?
XWA doesn't launch if that hook can't be found, it seems. The latest beta (by Morgg, I'm assuming) gives me the same pitching as well, and the camera jumping is still there when TrackIR is working as it should. The only button that seems to be unaffected by this is the fire button/combo.

[EDIT] It's even jumping when TrackIR has been turned off via Alt-T...

[EDIT] Ran the configurator and deactivated head tracking. It's pitching uncontrollably again.
Last edited by Luke_Skywalker on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:13 pm

My latest beta needs the hook indeed, and the improvement is only for SteamVR. Please use the previous one from blue_max

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Okay. Using the 11-23 beta: Still pitches. Also pitches when disabled either manually or by using the configurator. Disabling the cockpitlook hook just has everything pitching. Still jumpy when pressing buttons, but doesn't appear to do any jumping while it's pitching. It's hard to tell, though.

Fuck, this is annoying.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 pm

GOT IT. Maybe. With my luck the problem will come back.

@m0rgg, this is for you, maybe. On a hunch I went into the joystick configurator and unbound my joystick's HAT buttons for cockpit look. The view immediately stopped pitching even with TrackIR off and the jumpiness stopped.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:49 pm

We're back to this nonsense though, where if maybe I decide I don't feel like messing with headtracking at that time and don't have the clip in view, I get this, where it's pitched down and not centered.
pitch down.png
center.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:54 pm

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 pm
Disabling the cockpitlook hook just has everything pitching.
Alright, then the problem is probably in the joystick hook. Try disabling that hook to see if your problems stop.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:37 am

Check the spam after that post about the hook. :)

sobeach
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sobeach » Mon May 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Just reinstalled the game with all the updates and Trackir installed and activated. Now when I go into the game, it keeps spinning around. I tried to disable Hook_Joystick_FF.dll per the above suggestion and it still spins. I then disabled the trackir in the Babu config and still it spins. Does anyone have any suggestions?

See attached joystick config file.
JoystickConfig.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue May 18, 2021 8:44 am

Did you try to set Rudder Enabled to No in the in-game config menu?

sobeach
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sobeach » Tue May 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Darn. Such a simple answer to a confusing problem. Thanks. I never thought that was the issue. I had assumed that my CH Throttle Quadrant with 6 axis was the issue and I planned on disconnecting it this morning to see if I was right. However, your answer was spot on. Thanks for the quick reply and solution.