[HELP] Seemingly 1FPS in Menus and Game

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

[HELP] Seemingly 1FPS in Menus and Game

adamboye
Recruit

Post by adamboye » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi all,

I just recently found out about the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade, and have been having a lot of fun with all the new stuff. However, one of the biggest reasons I downloaded was for VR support. It is working per say, its just giving me what looks like 1FPS in the menus and in game (when I managed to get to it). I've messed with some of the settings with little luck, used deferred rendering, etc, but I'm not sure that's the issue. I'm using Windows Mixed Reality with SteamVR to power the headset. I'm fairly certain my PC is beefy enough to run XWA in VR (16GB of RAM and an RX 5700). I assume it's just some setting I overlooked, if anyone can help at all, that would be cool :)

Steam Version
Windows
XWAU 2020 Mega Patch

Thanks.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:21 am

Hello,

Please make sure the game is running using hardware acceleration. Run the game without VR and press Esc, then open the Video Options and check that the game is using your RX 5700. Some PCs come with an integrated graphics card (usually Intel or similar) in addition to a discrete graphics card. Also make sure that "3D Hardware" is set to "Yes".

How does the game run without VR? You should be able to get ~90fps on simple skirmish missions without VR. Let's focus on getting the performance right on the regular game, then we can add VR into the mix.

adamboye
Recruit

Post by adamboye » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 pm

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quick. I checked all the settings, everything checked out, performance is great in flat screen, no hick ups or hitches anywhere. What else should I try poking around with next?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 pm

Alright, have you tried the tips on this thread:

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12490

Let's start by changing the resolution settings. Set your desktop to 1920x1080 and then set SteamVR's resolution to 960x1080 (or thereabouts). Set the in-game resolution in XWA to 1280x1024. Also, to play in SteamVR mode, please run SteamVR on its own before you run XWA. For some reason, if you let XWA auto-launch SteamVR you'll get very low performance.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 pm

adamboye wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 pm
I'm using Windows Mixed Reality with SteamVR to power the headset. I'm fairly certain my PC is beefy enough to run XWA in VR (16GB of RAM and an RX 5700).
As far as I know, the SteamVR mode has only been tested during development with Oculus and PSVR headsets. I know some other users mentioned using HTC Vive and running correctly. However, I don't remember anyone having tried with WMR.

I saw strange differences in behaviour when using the Oculus SteamVR driver compared to OpenVR documentation, so I wouldn't be surprised if WMR driver behaves differently...

Has anyone tested successfully (playable framerate) with a Windows Mixed Reality? (for example HP Reverb which is quite popular lately).