RiftS performance

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

RiftS performance

0rcablue
Recruit

Post by 0rcablue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:48 am

Anyone using RiftS getting good performance?

I've got:
H/W: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Nvidia 2080, 16GB Ram, SSD
S/W: Win10, SWAlliance GOG version, Oculus Tray Tool

I'm using SteamVR to play this.

My FPS at the hangar (where hitting spacebar will get you launched) is a steady 20. Theres a slight jitter when I look around, but the experience is too good to let that bother me. The first few missions where you pilot the correllian transports are pretty okay. However it gets bad once capital ships or space stations come into view. Probably due to the polygon thing. Enemies seem to notice this and deliberately position themselves with capital ships in background so its almost impossible to shoot them down. THEY KNOW.

I've tried the stuff mentioned in the forums (Low latency, High priority, Disable active cockpit, lower resolution for oculus, etc) but this is so far the best i can muster.

Anyone with RiftS having better experience? Care to share your setup? Does anyone have some instructions on how to use it in DirectSBS mode instead (if that helps?).

Shout out to Blue_max for making this even possible. Playing on regular screen just doesn't cut it for me anymore after trying VR. Also played Squadrons but I prefer XWAlliance flight mechanics more.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm

@0rcablue : What resolution are you using (both desktop and SteamVR)? Are you running with the Deferred shader (you can configure this in the Babu Frik configurator). I'm not very familiar with the RiftS, but is that one of the wireless headsets?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can run the DirectSBS mode unless your headset is recognized as a monitor by Windows and you can display side-by-side images on it.

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm

@blue_max Rift S is the successor of Rift CV1. It has more resolution and inside-out tracking, but still wired. In terms of software/drivers it's similar to the other Oculus headsets.

@0rcablue can you try DirectSBS VR mode with SteamVR tracking in CockpitLook? See if the performance is better, then we probably can hope to get things to run better some day...

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:42 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm
@0rcablue can you try DirectSBS VR mode with SteamVR tracking in CockpitLook? See if the performance is better...
Good idea! @0rcablue : just be aware that if you do this, you won't see anything in your HMD headset. This would just be a performance test.

Also: what's the performance when you run the game without VR?