WIP: Black Scorpion & Barracuda Remake

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

Re: WIP: Black Scorpion & Barracuda Remake

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 pm

OK, so I just had a revelation.

Right now, there are several ships with different variants - after market modifications, line variants and so on. For the Victory Starfighters Series alone there's 4-5 different variants, meaning I would have to create several different OPTs, or clones of the same OPT with more or less noticable variations. All in all this will bloat up the overall filesize and likely waste ship slots.

HOWEVER

With Jeremy's latest update to the Mission Objects hood, I could actually combine all the variants into one OPT and use the ObjectProfile to configure the mesh Layout for each variant.

There are still a few things to be considered - flightgroup colors, varying stats etc., but I think this is a great spot to start from.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:03 am

Cool. :)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:18 am

Huh, I couldn't shake that nagging feeling that the whole ship was just a bit too small. Already when I had been working on the whole interior, everything felt very cramped. Well I now took some measurements and turns out at its current length of about 25m the ship could accomodate noone taller than 180cm. Also taking into account that the ship needs space for electronics, systems and engineering, not to mention stuff like fuel tanks, energy generator, shield generator, hyperdrive and what not, I've increased its length to 29m. With this in mind, I'll have to take a look at my other transports as well. Since they were all built to scale witht he BR-7 shuttle those might be too small as well.
BR7Rescale.jpg
With that in mind I checked a my other ships and, as it turns out some of those will need rescaling as well.
- BX-8-series(WIP): from 13m up to 16m (or more)
- GT-5000: from 58m to 64m
- Centurion V Transport (WIP): from 47m to 50m
As those are due for 2021 updates anyway, I will make those changes while updating those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Another (hopefully final) update to the model.
There was this spot at the ship's front where one would expect the side windows to continue all the way to the front shield but instead there was solid hull, effectively creating a blind spot for the pilots. While this was a deliberate design choice back then, I now decided to go back on that decision and actually add another window, removing the blind spot and giving the pilots a proper field of view.

Also scaled ship up a tiny bit more, from 29 to 30 meters length.

A comparison, 2005 vs 2021....
BarracudaComparison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Looks great. Big improvement.
It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it!
Then again this ship has been around since 2005 you say, so maybe it's just that :D
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 am

I like it, honestly I'd like to see some kind of SW universe crossover justification so I can use it in my headcanon.

Kthx.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:12 am

Well looking back at the old Battle Threads, there is plenty of crossovers with post-Endor EU and fanon, where the same people who used these also used these ....

Predator_v1.1.jpg

... had lightsabers and used force powers.

so fire away :D.