WIP: Black Scorpion & Barracuda Remake

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

WIP: Black Scorpion & Barracuda Remake

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:50 pm

OK a while ago I started reworking various of my older models to a) add more detail and b) revise some illogical parts. For a while now these also include my favorite personnel transports and combat yachts: The BRX-7 series, namely the famed Barracuda and Black Scorpion. You may have seen snippets and updates on my workbench page but I thought I'd post something here, too.

So for these models, my main focus is on fleshing out the overall low-poly fuselage and improve various bits:
- The cockpit windows were my biggest concern as they were huge and totally impractical for a ship that is likely to see combat. I've drastically shrunk these down and added additional support beams and protective padding.
- Next are the modular engines, which just look like a pair of wind pipes taped to the hull. For the Black Scorpion I've completely reshaped them to look more streamlined. For the Barracuda I'm sticking with the old shape for now, tho I've added a lot more detail and am likely to flesh out bits here and there.

So here's a first glimpse, including the old model for comparison.

[EDIT] Updated shots on page 2!

On a side note: I'm deliberating whether or not I'll move the forward weapon mods to those newly added "boxes" above the modded engines. This would tie in nicely with the prefab-mod support the series is known for.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Nice

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Interesting, you going to be taking advantage of the new limits and weapon colors? hehe.

Also is there a possibility to do the textures in a way it could be integrated into a "custom luxury yacht" type SW setting? Maybe like your Predator Destroyer? Or are your TBP ships going to be vastly different? Or does it matter? I can't really remember your plot theme and whether or not it was stand-alone or semi-integrated already.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:16 pm

Well the plot started off independently, however, many of the fleshing out took place as part of our battle threads with countless intersection to SW fanon that are virtually impossible to cut out for the sake of independence. By now, and this is the first time I'm posting this, I am seriously considering of having it being semi-integrated in legends/infinities-fanon. Especially since the story's original design was already very SW-inspired.

That being said, I'm sure I can find a way of making it integrateable, tho not necessarily as a "luxury" yacht.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:04 am

I'd love to see more light transport variations with animations/s-foils and turrets.
Image Image Image Image Image

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 pm

OK I need some oppinions here:

As I wrote above I'm deliberating on moving the forward weapon mods from the main fuselage to the extensions below the wings, where the modded engines are attached to.
Here's a rough prototype of how I might do that, though I'm not fully satisfied with it yet.

Pros:
- All the modded weapons installed in one place and not just stick out of the hull.
- Weapons are below eye level, i.e. less obstructing and blinding

Cons:
- Weapons are further from the center which might diminish accurracy (then you have that turret on top that does the job for you...)
- Not sure what looks better those "boxes" as engine intakes or weapon bays

Any other thoughts?

Left is the new version, right is the way it used to be so far.
WIP_Weapons2.jpg
WIP_Weapons1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:06 pm

I think weapons. Gunboat, blastboat, storm trans are good examples of when it works.
Image Image Image Image Image

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 am

Great. I like the TBP integration idea into SW universe. Would be nice to see new allies/enemies for the Resistance/Rebel Alliance and vice versa for the First Order/Galatic Empire et al.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:03 am

Am I wrong or the new version (left side) allows for a different range of cannon convergence adjustments, since weapons are installed farther from the cockpit and below it?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 am

I'm not even sure if the convergence option is available for transports. So far I thought it was only applying to fighters. It will definitely be different, as they are now further away from the center. However, since it's not a fighter in the first place, I didn't have too much of intense fighter dogfighting in mind and even if, the turret can do most of the heavy lifting :)

Small update: I've redesigned the launchers. I kinda felt uncomfortable with the missiles being all exposted. In theory one well placed shot with shields down could blow up the whole magazine and the ship with it. So I "hid" them behind some protective covers, as you would find with contemporary missile launchers, too.
WIP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Update time! I've done some remodeling of the main fuselage to better support its modular design and also better adhere to the general design language of its manufacturers. In doing so, I've basically made way for a whole bunch of different configurations beyond the two most aforementioned ones. For example I'm thinking of a version that has a quartet of small engines but not the big ones at the wingtips, which makes it a lot more compact.
BRX700.jpg

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Nice

DTM

Post by DTM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:38 am

Wow!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:23 am

Great detail.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Update time!

It's been a while and I've been busy on my various remakes. Today I finally madee some headway on the BR-7 Shuttle series.
- Added a few more details to the fuselage
- Beefed up the wings a bit more, as they were still to flimsy for my taste. Those supports between the primary and secondary engines could be extended along the entire length of the wings. I may do that for one of the modified versions.
- Added landing gear and fleshed out the boarding ramp at the rear.
The idea for the Boarding ramp is to behave like landing gear, opening and closing when triggered.
BarracudaRemake1.jpg
BarracudaRemake2.jpg
BarracudaRemake3.jpg

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 pm

No progress on the actual model but a sort-of Proof of Concept, to test, whether the actual ship size was in any way reasonable. With Space Engineers' recent update introducing hinges and small grid doors, I could actually recreate the Black Scorpion in game and take it for a spin. I did have to make some compromises regarding the shape, obviously as the unusual angles of the original model aren't supported by the game's block system. Also, due to block thickness limitations, I'd have to tweak the cockpit: Instead of two pilot seats next to each other, it's only got a single seat in th center.

The current WIP already works nicely on any planet. Features include
- Inward folding Landing Gears
- Boarding Ramp and Airtight Airlock System
BlackScorpion_SE1.jpg
BlackScorpion_SE2.jpg
BlackScorpion_SE21.jpg
Some interior shots
BlackScorpion_SE3.jpg
BlackScorpion_SE4.jpg

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 pm

That's looking great so far!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 pm

This will be one of the greatest ever made!
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Thx! Only problem with Space Engineers is its realism. Unlike Star Wars and other SciFi Fantasy franchises you actually need thrusters in every direction to be able to properly navigate. Apart from that you'll need to add to add enough thrusters to lift its weight and overcome G-forcs. Not to mention fuel and reactor capacity. I'm happy to report that, with this one, everything checks out nicely.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:46 am

Curious, would that hatch with drop steps work with the S-Foils patch ? Thinking of how the shuttle lands in hangar... and replacing it... if you set it's rotation speed to really slow then theoretically it would open after the model has landed on the floor, if it's possible. That might be an idea for the Shuttles and other craft too. :-) Looks great b/t/w.
Last edited by Bman on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 am

That was my plan for it, yes :)
The cockpit canopy on starfighters could work the very same way.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm

OK, while I'm currently busy working on 'something else', I haven't forgotten about this one.
Here's a first glimpse of the OPT in progress.

My plan is to finish the basic BR7-Shuttle first and then add the modifications speciffic to both the Barracuda and Black Scorpion.
BR7Shuttle_WIP.jpg

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Vince T wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm
OK, while I'm currently busy working on 'something else',
I checked your site and wow! Looking forward to your new OPTs.
Here is a little reference...
Image4.png
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Shhhhh! :D