Website Relaunch: Vince T's X-Wing HQ 2020

Where the bad guys get their gear! Check here for updates on the Blue Phantom Project or awesome new star destroyer designs!

Website Relaunch: Vince T's X-Wing HQ 2020

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Alright, not the grand reopening I had planned for. Had too much stuff going on to make it in time for a May 4th launch. But since it's there and functional, I figured I'd open it up anyway.

Vince T's X-Wing HQ is now live

So what's it about this site?
Well I was sort of unsatisfied with range of functionalities my provider offered for my curent/old website, especially stuff like system elements not being translated into English. Also, the idea of creating a wiki for my Blue Phantom content seemed nice at the moment but here, too, the result didn't live up to expectations, especially given the load of advertisement they shove down your throat.

So I decided to move to a new framework and consolidate all the content from both the old modding site and the wiki under one roof. Plus as the name suggests, I'm turning my focus back to my original passion which was XWA modding, with Space Engineers being a side aspect.

The site's structure stands, though some of the content still needs moving over, which I'm constantly doing. As soon as all the content is in place, I'm going to close down the old site and redirect the link vince-t.com to the new website.

So what's new?
A lot more detail to the individual ships. Basically every OPT or model that I've made will have a wiki-like page of its own, featuring both screenshots and renders as well as stats, background info and dev notes. I may also add fun things like comparison charts etc. The Blue Phantom section will further be expanded by characters, locations, history etc. like it was on the old bluephantom site. In the end there will be one site to contain everything. One site to rule them all! Mwhuahahahahaha!

Erm .... enjoy :D

UPDATE 2020-06-09: Re-routed the website-URL to https://vince-t.com. The other domain will be re-routed to that adress, once it's available for redirect.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Looking pretty snazzy, man! :D

Also, that latest VSD shot looks amazing! :applaus:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Nice site, GT.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Wow GT that site looks impressive!
You have really raised the bar for my efforts now as they will look total crap lol
I'll be coming to you for help, or stealing ideas ;)

Bug report :P On the May the 4th be with you! new is says this at the top.
This is a subtitle for your new post

Amazing job mate
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Whoops! Still learning the ropes on that one.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Looking good!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue May 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Good work

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 am

Just taken a look at your website GT and it's a great one. I guess the slideshow is still under construction as it does not include the new Victory Destroyer.

Only a minor suggestion about the Inquisitor-class Battlecruiser
Originally this ship would be about 20 km long, but for the sake of reason I decided to drastically scale it down, so now it's about 7-8 km in length, somewhere in between the Warhammer and the Dominance / Sovereign.
I think 20 km is the right length.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu May 14, 2020 9:20 am

Lol well if you‘re ok with it taking another 5 years to finish ... XD

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm not in a hurry. It takes so long to travel without hyper-drive...

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Fri May 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Looks awesome! Glad to see a revamp of one of the classic sites!

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 am
Just taken a look at your website GT and it's a great one. I guess the slideshow is still under construction as it does not include the new Victory Destroyer.
The slider is working, I just hadn't made a separate post for the VSD, as it was included in the May 4th post. Buut I guess a bit of self-advertisement can't hurt. Done that now :)

Speaking of self-advertisement, I've updated the TIE Revenant, formerly known as TIE Reaper, to version 1.1. The OPT itself hasn't changed (yet) but I've made a number of tweaks and improvements:
1) I've changed the name. With Disney introducing a canon TIE Reaper Troop Transport in Rogue One, I wanted to keep this ship distinctive. And after some deliberation went for the name TIE Revenant.
2) I've added some material files, so, if you're using Blue_max' effects patch, you'll no longer have bump mapping on glass elements or cockpit screens.
3) I've tweaked the ship's stats to better match its considerable size. While it's still faster than your average TIE fighter, I've reduced its speed from 120 to 110 MGLT and dialed its maneuverability down to be somewhat on par with that of an X-Wing.
4) To compensate for the nerfed stats, I've added a SLAM system, which will boost the fighter up to 220 MGLT (330 for short bursts, if you transfer all power to engines)
5) Finally, thanks to Darksaber you'll now be able to choose between two laser color configurations:
- Green lasers / Purple Ions
- Black-white lasers / Purple Ions

Big thanks go to Darksaber for making the installer and being patient with me whie working towards the release :D

That's all for now. Now get out there and have fun!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Glad you finally got all the issues sorted in the end :)
Does the name and look for the TIE Revenant have any origins in the SW universe or just totally made up?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat May 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Heh there's actually a bit about that on the ship's Info Page, even containing a rough image of the original design (minus the original wings)
The ship's design started off as a Blue Phantom-themed Dhilani Fighter. Instead of the TIE's solar panels, the original Reaper had a number of forward facing claw-like appendages, which I ditched fairly soon. In the end I fleshed out this one and left the "original" Reaper in a semi finished state.
Some part of the TIE Revenant's final design were inspired by the TIE Phantom V-38. from Rebel Assault 2.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 am

General_Trageton wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:36 pm
Heh there's actually a bit about that on the ship's Info Page, even containing a rough image of the original design (minus the original wings)
The ship's design started off as a Blue Phantom-themed Dhilani Fighter. Instead of the TIE's solar panels, the original Reaper had a number of forward facing claw-like appendages, which I ditched fairly soon. In the end I fleshed out this one and left the "original" Reaper in a semi finished state.
Some part of the TIE Revenant's final design were inspired by the TIE Phantom V-38. from Rebel Assault 2.
As I have already told you I've seen that ship I think so many times over the years I've become accustomed to it. Plus with so many TIE designs now I get lost lol
It's really a great update and I hope a lot of people try it out :)

Also this XT-1 Viper looks amazing. I can't believe this is a screenshot as it's HD looking.

Also is Judge Dredd flying it? lol I like the look of the pilot :)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 am

Well it's a HD screenshot XD

The textures do need some updating, The Normal mapping effect can cause some really weird visuals on low-res textures. and those wing textures for example are actually really old D:

As for the pilot, nah not Judge Dredd, it's the standard UPMF pilots' uniform. Pilot mesh needs updating, too. That one looks really clunky up close. :D

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 am
Originally this ship would be about 20 km long, but for the sake of reason I decided to drastically scale it down, so now it's about 7-8 km in length, somewhere in between the Warhammer and the Dominance / Sovereign.
I think 20 km is the right length.
I just found the original sketch of that very first design. Turns out I was wrong about those 20km

It was 30km :shock:
Myeah well I was still in my early teens when I made that :D

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm

30 km is OK anyway, though I don't know if it is doable.
In the Modding Wiki, Constraints section there is:
Model dimensions ~27 km

Is this the upper limit for the length of an opt?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 am

I know, I wrote that section.

That being said, I wasn‘t joking when I said I‘m shrinking it down.