YOGEME by JaggedFel

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: YOGEME by JaggedFel

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:31 am

JaggedFel wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 am
Wish I would've found that a long time ago, that's a lot simpler solution than I kept trying. I don't mind the little bit of "stickiness" near the start/stop of the scroll, but at least the loop effect is gone. This'll be rolled into all of the list boxes for the next update.
Yeah, me too. I thought something was wrong with the drawing logic, if something was slowing it down, or if there was some weird property that would change the scrolling logic of the control or underlying form. So I kept trying different things, and nothing worked. After a lot of searching about form control scrolling issues, I found a comment somewhere about the DrawMode.

Anyway I'm currently working on a solution to multi-select. It's actually not that bad, but going through the code, making all the tweaks, and testing to make sure it's working correctly, is a time-consuming process. There's so many properties, especially in XvT/XWA. Everything is a mess right now, but I'm trying to simplify it as much as possible before implementing it for all platforms. Could be another couple weeks before everything is finished.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 am
That one shouldn't be too bad to do, I'll add it to the list.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Posted 1.12, has the fixed list scrolling, grayed out messages, couple other little things. Multi-select for XvT is done thanks to Random, and I've added a Tour editor for X-wing like the Battle/LST editors.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:17 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Posted 1.12, has the fixed list scrolling, grayed out messages, couple other little things. Multi-select for XvT is done thanks to Random, and I've added a Tour editor for X-wing like the Battle/LST editors.
Hurrah, thank you.

I have one possible request, the Map Briefing creation is still one of the most tedious aspects for me in mission making, in particular being able to multi select a line of instructions and give them identical parameters of some sort. For example if I want to set an a ship/station icon, along with its rotation and position, I have to select each instruction individually and set its icon numbers when I wish I could just select all 3 and select their icon number. Would this be possible? It would certainly cut down on some of the instruction tedium. I guess this goes hand in hand with being able to select multiple FGs in the FG list.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:24 am

Once work on the XWA portion of multi-select gets going we can look into making it possible in the briefing as well.
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 am

I have multi-select done for all platforms, just needs another round of testing and double checking the code before it's ready. Should be done soon.

A complete revamp of the formations browser is also almost done too.

Multi-select for briefings was actually something I was working on a long time ago. I never pushed the changes, but I think I still have it stashed somewhere. It was part of a larger theme that included other quality-of-life improvements and features for the visual editor. I'll revisit that after FG multi-select is done.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:30 am

Awesome stuff, look forward to it :)

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Random Starfighter wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 am
A complete revamp of the formations browser is also almost done too.
In the revamp, did you happen to look at the X-wing formations? That was the main reason I finally did the Tour Editor, so I could start testing that easier.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 pm

Might there a way to show formations on the map itself? A toggle feature for example to save on frames or just when you need it to understand positioning of multiple ships in a FG relative to other flight groups or how things might look in a mission.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:32 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:24 pm
In the revamp, did you happen to look at the X-wing formations? That was the main reason I finally did the Tour Editor, so I could start testing that easier.
No, I didn't see that issue. I knew the XW formations were problematic, especially since the browser displayed the TIE formations instead of XW. When revamping the browser, I extracted the formation tables directly from the executables (Xwing95.exe, Tie95.exe, z_xvt__.exe, XwingAlliance.exe). Now it dynamically draws the icons similar to how the map screen does, using authentic data. Which seems to be the best option, because all the games are different in subtle ways, whether the formation data itself, or how they behave exiting or entering hangars. And since it uses real data, it can even handle overflows if more than 6 craft.
AngeI wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 pm
Might there a way to show formations in the map itself? A toggle feature for example to save on frames or just when you need it to understand positioning of multiple ships in a FG relative to other flight groups or how things might look in a mission.
I thought about such a feature when I last worked on revamping the map, but it was beyond my goals at the time, especially when handling multiple game platforms. In order to properly display the formations, extra data is needed. Every craft has their own spacing, and spacing is sometimes also adjusted based on ship class. Currently, YOGEME is only set up to extract craft data from XWA. Now that the formation tables are extracted, it might be possible to include that feature for XWA.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:23 am

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:32 pm

I thought about such a feature when I last worked on revamping the map, but it was beyond my goals at the time, especially when handling multiple game platforms. In order to properly display the formations, extra data is needed. Every craft has their own spacing, and spacing is sometimes also adjusted based on ship class. Currently, YOGEME is only set up to extract craft data from XWA. Now that the formation tables are extracted, it might be possible to include that feature for XWA.
This would be most useful if it can be done, in particular the asteroid chase mission I've been designing, I'm using asteroid groups of 3, but it makes placement extremely difficult to determine because I can only see 1 asteroid field in the map, not all 3, so I have to basically guess and load the game up to see how it looks.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:16 am

AngeI wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:23 am
This would be most useful if it can be done, in particular the asteroid chase mission I've been designing, I'm using asteroid groups of 3, but it makes placement extremely difficult to determine because I can only see 1 asteroid field in the map, not all 3, so I have to basically guess and load the game up to see how it looks.
Hmm... asteroids don't use formations, they're spawned in randomized locations around their start point. Even their spawned types are random. I suppose I could try replicating the random number generator algorithm they use. Maybe it could work?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 am

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:16 am
AngeI wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:23 am
Hmm... asteroids don't use formations, they're spawned in randomized locations around their start point. Even their spawned types are random. I suppose I could try replicating the random number generator algorithm they use. Maybe it could work?
I should clarify the asteroid field OPT I'm using is a custom one used in a shipslot so it's treated like a normal flight group. This way I could control the creation of the field I was making.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm

I just had another feature idea. Waypoints. Its very tedious currently in either editor to copy waypoints, particularly if you want waypoints to match from previous orders. Would it be possible to add a feature say 'copy previous order waypoints' to simplify things?

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:01 pm

AngeI wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm
I just had another feature idea. Waypoints. Its very tedious currently in either editor to copy waypoints, particularly if you want waypoints to match from previous orders. Would it be possible to add a feature say 'copy previous order waypoints' to simplify things?
Well right now if you copy/paste the Order itself all of the waypoints come over with it, so that's halfway there. Adding the ability to copy/paste just the Waypoints should be easy enough, I would do it as C/P buttons near the Waypoints > Order drop-down similar to the buttons near the Orders > Order drop-down to catch the whole set.

Edit: Done! Will be in the next release, which should be pretty soon.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:55 pm

Aweseome, thanks! :)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 pm

Hey there, it's me for a change :)

There's one thing I stumble about every now and then: Would it be possible to add a "lock" function to the map editor?
The background is this: Once I have a FG positioned, I may not want to move it anymore. This holds especially true for Backdrops. The top and bottom parts of a skybox are located at XY = 0,0, which is also where new FGs or waypoints "spawn". When I then try to drag and drop those objects right on the map, I end up picking up the backdrop. Therefore a "locked" checkbox, which makes a FG unselectable, would be great.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:27 pm

v1.13 is out, with multi-select for all!

@Vince T, you posted while I was typing, but an easy way to get around that is when you have a FG where they need to be (especially the skyboxes), you can Hide them so they're not visible in the editor, then you can't select them on the map itself until you unhide them again.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:45 pm

Ah ok, that'll do then, thx for pointing this out :)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:52 pm

Being able to multiselect FGs and apply things to all of them at once is a small thing but you've no idea how much of a welcome one it is for me. This has honestly been the one big reason I've stuck to AlliED for much of the time, the quick ability to manipulate multiple flight groups at once in their settings or position order in the FG list (as well as just being stubborn in using what I know best). I will now be actively trying to design exclusively from YOGEME now, so I apologise if you suddenly get a barrange of questions or feature requests from me :P

Still I want to thank you for the hard work, hope to see multi-select applied to the Mission Briefing instruction list next :)

Now perhaps a pop-out window for the fight group list I can maximize to see the full list better as a 'would like' feature? :D

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:31 pm

So already I have a lot of comments (feel free to curse me).

Request: Would it be possible to multiple select waypoint coordinate rows? Example if I set Waypoint 1 to -0.50 Z plane, I want to then copy those settings to the subsequent Z-plane waypoints without either entering it manually or copy pasting to each row. So if I could select multiple rows like in Excel and just paste the number in is what I'm asking for essentially.

Bug?: When defining Teams in AlliED, it allowed you to set the IFF for the team, I'm not seeing that in YOGEME unless it was moved somewhere else?

Bug?: I can't get YOGEME to read the TFTCPlanet.dat file for backdrops so I assume I might be doing something wrong here perhaps? (Error reading DAT file from RESDATA.TXT). I have tried to put the file in Resdata but the error still happens. Normally I just define this file in a specific mission.INI file rather than through Resdata. When I click on backdrops actually, it triggers several DAT read errors, not just this.

Bug?: When I add a new flight group in the map, any object that's hidden or faded becomes unhidden/unfaded again. Not sure if this is intentional.

Bug: In Pre/Post Briefing tab under WAVs, there is nothing for Hints/Loss text. The naming format is the same as the others but defined with L at the beginning (instead of S or W). It also only plays a single file so it would be L010101.wav for example.

Observation: Start Point 3 is exclusively used for the Rendezvous order based on my previous testing. When this order is used, the ship will go to the coords specified under Start 3. (who knows what Start 2 does still???). Perhaps update Start 3 to say Rendezvous?

QoL: I do find the dropdown box for Region/Orders under the Waypoints section a little difficult to read. I think having displayed like you do in the map mode (two separate boxes to define order and region) would be better for readability. I notice this is the same on 'Skip to Order' under Options as well.

QoL: Under Active Sequence for goals, I would suggest a tooltip or a small description to tell people what each active sequence number does as it takes some digging if you're unfamiliar with the editor on how that actually works. For reference its:

0: Goal is visible on mission start but will be ignored by subsequent sequences.
1: Goal is visible on mission start.
2: Goal is visible when all Primary Goals with active sequence 1 are completed.
3: Goal is visible when all Primary Goals with active sequence 1-2 are completed.
4: Goal is visible when all Primary Goals with active sequence 1-3 are completed.
5: Goal is visible when all Primary Goals with active sequence 1-4 are completed.
6: Goal is visible when all Primary Goals with active sequence 1-5 are completed.
7: Goal will be invisible until it has been completed or failed.
All Secondary Goals have by default active sequence 0 and they are visible only after completion.

Questions:
What are these greyed out checkboxes for? RDV at least seems to imply rendezvous but doesn't seem to connect to the Start 3 order (see above). But what is BF1-8?
yogeme1.png
Does Voice ID do anything above the End of Mission messages under Teams?
yogeme2.png
I noticed Leader Spacing above FG spacing, I assume this puts the leader at a different point from the rest of its wingmates or does it have another function?

How does the Snap to: Grid/Self thing work in the Map interface or rather what does it do exactly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 pm

AngeI wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:31 pm
Bug?: When defining Teams in AlliED, it allowed you to set the IFF for the team, I'm not seeing that in YOGEME unless it was moved somewhere else?
IFF and team are separate values in the main craft tab. You can have something displayed as a friendly IFF (which is really just color in the CMD and sensors) that's actually on a hostile team. There's no formal way to link them. I presume AlliED recycles some unused bytes to store that info. It's been a suggested feature in the past, but personally I haven't looked at it yet.
Bug?: When I add a new flight group in the map, any object that's hidden or faded becomes unhidden/unfaded again. Not sure if this is intentional.
Currently intentional since the map technically uses a different craft list. It can't infer which items have been added, deleted, or moved on the main form, so it uses the "easiest" solution of re-importing the entire list, which wipes the current selection and current visibility controls. I'll see if I can make this better.
Questions:
What are these greyed out checkboxes for? RDV at least seems to imply rendezvous but doesn't seem to connect to the Start 3 order (see above). But what is BF1-8?
YOGEME is able to edit XWING, TIE, XvT, and XWA, and the same map interface is shared by all four platforms. Those greyed-out checkboxes are used by TIE Fighter and XvT. BF1-8 are the briefing waypoints for XvT, since that game allows up to 8 unique briefings for each multiplayer team, and the BRF points are stored with the flightgroup itself, since it doesn't use independent moveable icons like XWA does.
I noticed Leader Spacing above FG spacing, I assume this puts the leader at a different point from the rest of its wingmates or does it have another function?
I don't think leader spacing does anything.
How does the Snap to: Grid/Self thing work in the Map interface or rather what does it do exactly?
It constrains items when you move them, rounding off their position to the nearest snap position, relative to Grid/Self.
For example, if the snap distance is 0.25km, and something is positioned at X:0.35km, and you move the item left or right:
If relative to grid, it would snap to X:0.25 or X:0.50
If relative to self, it would snap to X:0.10 or X:0.60

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:19 am

AngeI wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:31 pm
Bug: In Pre/Post Briefing tab under WAVs, there is nothing for Hints/Loss text. The naming format is the same as the others but defined with L at the beginning (instead of S or W). It also only plays a single file so it would be L010101.wav for example.
Ah, thank you. I couldn't find any examples when I was building that and couldn't get the audio to play when I was testing, so figured it just wasn't done. I'll get that in there.
Observation: Start Point 3 is exclusively used for the Rendezvous order based on my previous testing. When this order is used, the ship will go to the coords specified under Start 3. (who knows what Start 2 does still???). Perhaps update Start 3 to say Rendezvous?
Works for me.
QoL: I do find the dropdown box for Region/Orders under the Waypoints section a little difficult to read. I think having displayed like you do in the map mode (two separate boxes to define order and region) would be better for readability. I notice this is the same on 'Skip to Order' under Options as well.
That's fair, I can break that out.
QoL: Under Active Sequence for goals, I would suggest a tooltip or a small description to tell people what each active sequence number does as it takes some digging if you're unfamiliar with the editor on how that actually works...
Yeah, I should put something in there. I didn't even cover it in the file format spec, just mentioned its existence.
Does Voice ID do anything above the End of Mission messages under Teams?
Nope, that's a reference note, mainly a reminder as to which voice actor is reading those lines.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:53 am

Thank you both for the quick answers! Only thing that wasn't addressed here was the Waypoint multiselect copy/paste but for now at least my questions are satisfied :)

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:09 am

v1.13.1 is out, which was mostly for fixes Random did, but I also threw in the SP3 > RDV and splitting up the Order Waypoint selection real quick.