Reshade for X-wing Alliance

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: Reshade for X-wing Alliance

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I just picked the zip 1:1 like Kampher provided it, didn't do anything else.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Doing a bit of research on these post fx filters someone would really need to go through everything in the game and make sure that all colour luminosities are brought into a smaller range (say for example 32<luminosity<224)

This would allow the post fx filter to only apply bloom to 'bright' images. ( 224 - 255, eg, the whites of engine exhausts)

The dark areas will appear to have more detailed shadow effects, without normal dark areas being too dark in 'normal' light.

The reason for this luminosity compression is because XWA does not have real HDR so we need to simulate it.

Without doing this, anything past 224 in luminosity will bloom, even text in the hud which is bad.

I applied a similar filter to Delta force Black hawk down but while ingame looked awsome, the text was a huge dissapointment.

Im loving the screenshots though.

Specular highlighting would concentrate the bloom to shiny areas only, but thats only if someone like Jeremy is able to hack that in.

Trev

Rends
Recruit

Post by Rends » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi,
I've installed Reshade and got it working creating my own shaders.
Did only something subtile with bloom and 2 other shaders.
Have now an aura/corona around planets wich looks great and somewhat more glow around engines and lights.
I tried to record in game using raptr but this seems not to work for unknown reasons?
Did anyone succsessfully record in game using adifferent software?
Need to check if i got screenshots working.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:19 am

I did some short low-res recordings years ago using Fraps, if that's any help.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Xoriss
Recruit

Post by Xoriss » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:30 am

Haven't posted here in forever and a half, but I saw this thread while lurking and wanted to share some more screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/egTRP

I couldn't get Kampher's settings to work either (got the same aforementioned 'wall of text' error), but I managed to inject some shader settings of my own. Dunno why his wouldn't work (Running DirectX11, GTX760, Win7 64bit), but I'm new to Reshade and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing with it. That being said, I'm loving the results so far. This plus the UCP and Backdrops shaves a good 10 years off the aesthetic age of this game easily. :D

Rends
Recruit

Post by Rends » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Reshade settings please! Or a file download would be also welcome :-)

Looks great

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

I agree, presets please
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Nice Stuff. I've played around with the presets. And I'm very happy now. Just a bit of Bloom, not too dark / overshaded. You may test it:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=xwingall ... -s3kry.png
http://abload.de/image.php?img=xwingall ... -b0kvz.png
http://abload.de/image.php?img=xwingall ... -6hjnv.png

FR4GGL3 Settings download

Oh! And I got a workaround on the flickering menues. On my System there is no flickering as long as I dont't run XWA elevated. As soon as I run it elevated (as Administrator) it starts to flicker. So give it a try.

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:13 am

Would anybody mind explaining how to use FR4GGL3's files? I tried to install Reshade but I get the "wall of text" error another user reported above. I just dropped the files from the original post into the XWA directory. I'm completely unsure what to do with FR4GGL3's files because there are no instructions and I'm a newb :(

Any help would be appreciated!

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:17 pm

If anyone has trouble with my configs:
- Install Reshade
- go into the reshade Directory (e.g. E:\GOG Games\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\ReShade)
- save all original config files (maybe you create a .zip file or something)
- copy the downloaded config files into the ReShade Directory

Now you should have the Settings as soon as you fire up XWA. Plz give me feedback if this doesn't work

Freebeard
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Freebeard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Has anyone been able to get this working with the new release, version 3.0.1? I tried using the config files a couple of people have uploaded, but it says it couldn't compile the effects. Plus, I can't seem to access the menu in game.

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:35 am

Hello, the configs are only for the 0.95 Version including sweet fx. It seems that reshade 3.0 is completely redone. I didn't habe the time to dig into it. But there have to be new configs.

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Not fully sure how this reshade works, but I've found a site that has lots of presets for various games. I notice that in the download from OPs post, the .dll file is a dxgi.dll if I find other games that utilize this same dll file, and download the presets for those and load them into my folders. Would that allow me to use that preset in XWA?

For example: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/5179/

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:21 am

Yes, that should work. But it won't turn XWA into Star Citizen. Because there are a lot of Effects built into the Star Citizen Engine which won't need a Change or a ReShade Effect to be enabled (e.g. there is already Depth of Field, or Bloom, or Ambient Occlusion). So you could end up with a nearly not noticable change in XWA. But it might be a good start point. So give it a try and maybe show us some Screenshots.

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Good point, it might be best to find an older game to work with the presets from. Thanks, I will post screenshots as soon as I've tried some out.

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:20 pm

I've been fiddling with the Reshade, and I am getting close to what I think are some awesome settings. I've even found a way to make the explosions sort of 'flash' and for the moment white out a fair part of the screen based on their size, which kind of hides some of the ancient sprite explosions and definitely makes for a more spectacular display. I'm using a lot of imagery and still shots from the Battle of Endor to try and emulate that bluish tinge, and higher contrast, without making it so dark that you could never finish the Death Star tunnel run when the lights go out. Will post screens/video and settings here soon when I get it like I want.

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 pm

While everybody is waiting for thicks preset, I grabbed his Idea and looked for working presets from other space games. I'm quite impressed of a preset that was made for X3 Terran Conflict. You can find it here: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/4570/

credits to "Gethema" who made this preset!

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:45 am

Okay, after much tweaking and tuning, I think I've got a decent shader setup. Here's an imgur album with some screenshots of it:

http://imgur.com/a/FSUuG

Here is a link to the Sweetfx_settings file, just overwrite your existing one with this. Keep a backup copy of your own though, if you need to revert.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15-qN ... E1ZlU/view

FR4GGL3
Recruit

Post by FR4GGL3 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Wow! Thatcher Loks really good. Weich reshade version doch in need?

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Good question... how exactly am I able to check the version I'm running? I want to say it's 2.0, but will want to check to be sure.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 am

I've recently upgraded to 3.0.6 and not only does the GUI editor flash so badly it's unreadable, but the game slows down on startup and mission load. Additionally while the GUI loads fine in mission, the mouse function is basically running at 1fps and I can't really use the menu at all.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I'm giving up the reshade at this point since it seems to hamper performance too severely to be worthwhile, especially since I can't make any edits.

bulico
Cadet 1st Class

Post by bulico » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I've been messing around with Reshade to squeeze some performance out of it, as I am running Windows 10 on a VM. I don't think there is a way to eliminate the flickering in the GUI, but I have been able to get some decent visuals. I'll keep messing with it and post my results here if anyone is interested.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah, but you can call me cookie.

bulico
Cadet 1st Class

Post by bulico » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Ok, so for reshade 3.07 I created the following config files, be sure to update the paths as needed in the dxgi.ini:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... W8xdTNWRXc

I installed 3.07 as a direct x 10 version.

You guys can install the full shader suite or the ones used by the config file:
AmbientLight
Bloom
Levels
LumaSharpen
HighPassSharp
SMAA
SurfaceBlur
Vignette

Please note, 'print screen' enables/disables the effects, so you can navigate the menus/concourse without all the flickering.

This should serve as a good start for others to play around with. Enjoy.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Wed May 03, 2017 11:04 pm

This looks great bulico. Thanks very much for sharing your settings.

It's too bad we can't hook Ambient Occlusion and other advanced effects in.

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Kampher wrote:Hey guys,

I've been working on updating my config to make things a little less dark, fix up the bloom, and do some of my own color correction. I added a shader from Watchdogs that adds a bit of a blue tint, but it looks really great in-game, in my opinion. I've zipped up the files again. Just drop them into your Root folder and it should work.

I suspect you may need to have a directX11" card in order to be able to use this. That, or changet the dxgi.dll to opengl32.dll and see if that works. That forces the renderer to use OPenGL instead of Directx11, but it may have some impact on certain shaders.

I've been having a really good time playing this game with all of these new effects, models, backdrops, etc. It's probably the closest thing we're going to get to a modern Star Wars flight sim for a good long while.

Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!bAtm2SBS!Yqo3RQe8c ... bu1yuPZLOA
Thank you for this! I was playing XWA last night, wishing for DX11 and reshade support and voila... found this today. Awesome stuff!