CBM Editing help

Need help editing the game? Check for help here!

Moderators: Darksaber, General_Trageton, Forceflow

CBM Editing help

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Is there a topic or guide to CBM Editing?
I see there's a new Explorer and Editor but can't find details on these while searching.

I wanted to dabble in it again, in particular the Medals etc.
What were the limits or set requirements that have to be followed again please?
Is there a reason for example why things are to one side in the image when saved, like this with a black section to the left?
Poster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

Rich C
Lieutenant
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Rich C » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Not sure it's what you're after, and is going back a bit, but JM's site still has a quick guide on them over at DS':

XWA Expansion Guide

It's in the "Miscellaneous" section.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Rich C wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:48 pm
Not sure it's what you're after, and is going back a bit, but JM's site still has a quick guide on them over at DS':

XWA Expansion Guide

It's in the "Miscellaneous" section.
Brilliant, thanks Rich. That's partly it.
Anyone know if there's still a 256 colour limit on the BMP file?
Don't know what improvements there's been over the years
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
JeremyaFr
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Hello,

There is still a limit of 256 colors for CBM images.

The limit has been removed for DAT images.

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:17 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 pm
Hello,There is still a limit of 256 colors for CBM images.
The limit has been removed for DAT images.
Thanks Jeremy. Is there a topic that discusses CBM Explorer and Editor in more detail?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
JeremyaFr
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:45 pm

No, there isn't.

User avatar
Trevor
Ensign
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Post by Trevor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Rename this topic and we will have one :P

Trev

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 pm
Hello,

There is still a limit of 256 colors for CBM images.

The limit has been removed for DAT images.
I've been using CBM Editor to replace pics. It's really clever and simple. Great job :)
Am I right that we can't edit the small pictures in front of MK yet? Or has that been found.
Otanna.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
Darksaber

Fleet Admiral (Administrator)
Posts: 10852
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Darksaber » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:47 am

ual002 made a started Imperial Quarters Remaster but seems to have disappeared, which is a pity as it was shaping up really good :(
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 am

I have been summoned. What doth you require my liege?

Been heavy into Bannerlord and Arma3, but I'm still around.
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:23 am

ual002 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:03 am
I have been summoned. What doth you require my liege?
Been heavy into Bannerlord and Arma3, but I'm still around.
Darksaber linked to your Imperial mod. It looks amazing!
I hope you finish it and move onto new stuff too :)

I'm messing around with the Family Transport medals again.
Is there a way to edit the small pictures in front of MK that represent the trophies yet?
I know it didn't used to be possible but I'm nit sure where the images are stored.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:05 pm

I would have to see if I addressed that in my mod. In taking my long break, I sorta forgot all the details. I'm not even sure if my download link has the most up to date version of my progress. But if I changed it, it would be in there. Don't worry it's not fully abandoned, sometimes, I take a break to allow the other modders to make progress in thier own time and hope someone finds a way to do the stuff I need done, or gets a fire lit to address it.

I hit a sort of wall, because what I envisioned is a hook, made by some of the more talented modders here that would allow me to configure when and how the different medals show up in pilot quarters. So instead of the items being hard coded to showing up on certain missions, I would rather have a CFG file that allows me to either set these items showing on certain missions, or after completing some sort of stat requirement. Hours flown in a specific fighter, or number of kills of a certain type, etc etc.

I'm on discord, hit me up any time. ual002#6312
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Darksaber

Fleet Admiral (Administrator)
Posts: 10852
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Darksaber » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Nah you didn't update the files mate :)

I might be wrong but I thought the medals where determined by Medals.txt which is in Frontres/Medals Folder

Code: Select all

15
21
28
34
41
47
52
The Family Awards like the Key to Harlequin Station are determined by the FamilyAward.txt

I don't think it's hardcoded
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm

The medals aren't hard-coded and can be changed except for the kalidor or whatever, the doodads like the key are hardcoded (and thats the biggest hurdle), even though there is a txt file for it... If I remember correctly. Even still, that's not all the functionality I want. Ultimately I want freedom to configure everything for an official mod pack and then also anyone who wants to make a personal install (for pirate or civil/whatever).

I could make a whole bunch of custom imperial doodads like I did, and hand those over, but ultimately I'm open to what the community wants too, so if they want to see specific things I'm by no means strangle holding this. I just think having more freedom for what triggers them to show up will allow me to create a whole plethora of stuff and it make sense why those things show up when they do. Same could be done for a non-azameen rebel or new republic install too. The group work would be laid and people could just use my work as a guide, since I'm no rebel expert.

I'll take a look at what I have and see if I can make sense of it and upload it in its current state. Maybe if people can play with it, then they might be inspired to do the backend stuff I need eventually.
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 07, 2020 4:24 pm

ual002 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm
The medals aren't hard-coded and can be changed except for the kalidor or whatever, the doodads like the key are hardcoded (and thats the biggest hurdle), even though there is a txt file for it... If I remember correctly. Even still, that's not all the functionality I want. Ultimately I want freedom to configure everything for an official mod pack and then also anyone who wants to make a personal install (for pirate or civil/whatever).

I could make a whole bunch of custom imperial doodads like I did, and hand those over, but ultimately I'm open to what the community wants too, so if they want to see specific things I'm by no means strangle holding this. I just think having more freedom for what triggers them to show up will allow me to create a whole plethora of stuff and it make sense why those things show up when they do. Same could be done for a non-azameen rebel or new republic install too. The group work would be laid and people could just use my work as a guide, since I'm no rebel expert.

I'll take a look at what I have and see if I can make sense of it and upload it in its current state. Maybe if people can play with it, then they might be inspired to do the backend stuff I need eventually.
So your stuff is amazing. I've taken a look at it and the artwork is brilliant. I would love to have a proper Imperial and Rebel conversions eventually. If I can help get your work released then please let me know. :)
I want to clarify a few things with you as you've been working on it longer than me and my Crew Quarters Upgrade.

So I know we can change the helmet picture. Just needs to look good.
The purple swoosh (white circle) is the Rank. Jedi Master, Commander etc. I know where the pic is and how to look at changing it or maybe moving it.
Do we know how the ranks are calculated so what levels you get promoted? I assume it's down to score kills etc.

The little circles (green highlight) are like kills marks? Again I know where the images are but we don't know at what stages they are triggered do we?
I assume in my image they are maxed out. Do people like having new marks appear or is it better to leave them off?

Which key is hardcoded you mentioned?
As you have said it would be great to work out the smaller areas of the game not being looked at as much
Helmet Room.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 am

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:01 am

I think he meant the key to Harlequin Station, and all the other mementos that appear in your quarters over time.

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Ok, so the white circle image is calculated by several factors. Its basically your skirmish rank. I have no control over it, but I think its basically a function of your score in the combat chamber, but maxes at a certain level unless you play PVP. (which probably should be unlocked at some point.)

The green circle marks show up after every successful rebel mission I think, and it seems hardcoded, excluding the family ones. Those would also be fun to unlink from those rebel missions because its basically hardcoded to several specific missions in the mission list. Its not relevant to people playing custom campaigns because they would probably have no family style missions at all, or maybe do but on different mission numbers.

All of the other random objects are hardcoded to specific mission completion, (see earlier in my Imperial quarters thread). There is a text file for them but changing the missing numbers seems to have no affect. The only thing that we can seem to change is the missions the medals in the medal case show up, but its in a specific order, all you can do is specify which mission they show up in. I think that's medals.txt
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 10, 2020 3:59 pm

ual002 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:10 pm
Ok, so the white circle image is calculated by several factors. Its basically your skirmish rank. I have no control over it, but I think its basically a function of your score in the combat chamber, but maxes at a certain level unless you play PVP. (which probably should be unlocked at some point.)

The green circle marks show up after every successful rebel mission I think, and it seems hardcoded, excluding the family ones. Those would also be fun to unlink from those rebel missions because its basically hardcoded to several specific missions in the mission list. Its not relevant to people playing custom campaigns because they would probably have no family style missions at all, or maybe do but on different mission numbers.

All of the other random objects are hardcoded to specific mission completion, (see earlier in my Imperial quarters thread). There is a text file for them but changing the missing numbers seems to have no affect. The only thing that we can seem to change is the missions the medals in the medal case show up, but its in a specific order, all you can do is specify which mission they show up in. I think that's medals.txt

That's good info that I haven't seen thanks. Skirmish ranking, ok. I was wondering if a different pic would be better. I think the current style is shown on some Rebel helmets.
What about a rebel or imperial sign which changes colour? Or maybe a little TIE killmarking?

The successful rebel mission marks I had an idea to move them and maybe change the images. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. I suppose the images can be made bigger but would need more tweaking.
I see in your Imperial room you moved the medal case. Does that still work the same way when you click on it?
What could be handy is a graph with the offsets showing on it. To help get an idea which settings apply to roughly which height and width.

Been reading JM's old guide and it's quite useful.
https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/XWA_Ex ... index.html
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 am

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:30 pm

Oh, so those helmet marks are the direct successors to the tour ribbons? Good to know.

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah, man moving that case was rough. I had like a paper doll layered image in photoshop with the background as it would be in the game and I found the tool that shows me what pixel I'm hovering over and used that to eyeball stuff then hop out and make small adjustments.
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm

ual002 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm
Yeah, man moving that case was rough. I had like a paper doll layered image in photoshop with the background as it would be in the game and I found the tool that shows me what pixel I'm hovering over and used that to eyeball stuff then hop out and make small adjustments.
Yeah sounds a nightmare lol That's why if a lot of altering is going to happen we kinda need a rough graph showing 0 100 200 480 etc.
I might move the rebel marks but could be so frustrating I may give up lol
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Can the hotspot for the door be moved? So that in theory the door can be on the other side.
Had more ideas jump into my head but the door might get in the way
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:29 pm

I made no attempt to change the door, It might be possible but I saw no need.
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Commander
XWAU Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 11, 2020 10:40 pm

For your project and the normal stuff no. I'm just having things pop into my mind for new projects and the door maybe a pain where it is lol
Thanks for the reply
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

User avatar
ual002
Lieutenant JG
Galactic Empire
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 am

Keep in mind, Justagai found an offset for another "container" in the officer room, so its entirely possible to have a "page 2" in that room. Decorating it is another thing because I'm not sure if new entries for those items can be made.
For the glory of his majesty Emperor Palpatine! Image Image Image Image

Post Reply