Playing GMID files...

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Playing GMID files...

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:14 am

So I'm trying to access the original TIE Fighter music library, specifically all the inflight stuff. I can only get as far as extracting all the files in the LFD file they're contained in, which are in a format called .GMID

There's little info on the XWAUP forums about this after some searching, except that it is apparently a MIDI file but no player I have will open this filetype and I can't find any info on Google about how to play or convert this file either. I successfully used TIEMUSIC.exe to extract all the other music into a playable format which is contained in TIEMUSIC.LFD but the inflight stuff is in _ADLIB.LFD and that program doesn't work on this file.

So can anyone help on this? Many thanks :)

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm

There are other Lucasarts games that use the .GMID music format like Dark Forces and X-Wing. What I know, it looks like the music files are a standard MIDI format. I've read you may have to delete the first four bytes of the file to read them in a typical MIDI player. I used a program called "GOBREAD" to extract "TIEMUS2.LFD" and "TIEMUSIC.LFD" without any issues but on "ADLIB.LFD" it gave some errors. Here is where I got GOBREAD from (Xentax forums require free registration to see the download link): https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3081
I then used an old program called "Conman" (Dark Forces Container Manager v0.91z) to extract the .LFD files and it successfully extracts everything as-is from the archives without any conversion. http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php? ... )%20v0.91z

Once all the files were extraced I renamed the .GMID file extention to .MID and I could play them in WinAmp/Windows Media Player with no problems.
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:20 am

You sir, are a genius. Took a bit more googling to find what the correct header information was but got there in the end, I used a HEX editor to delete the first few bytes and as you predicted, and once renamed to a .MID, the file now plays properly. Thank you! :)

Vortexyz
Recruit

Post by Vortexyz » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:38 pm

I just wanted to thank you both profusely for posting this thread. Ever since Tie Fighter Collector's Cd was released back in 1995, I have been on-and-off searching the internet for clues as to how to access those beautifully composed inflight music clips and get them playable in MIDI format. You have quite literally solved a puzzle that has been bugging me for the last 25 years (I'm not even exaggerating). God I love the internet. THANK YOU AGAIN.

Also, in the remote chance someone else comes hunting for the same information, here's my little contribution to help assist with the instructions above -- the number of bytes I found I needed to delete from the .GMID file using a hex editor was the first 30 bytes. That's more than what was hinted at above (which was only 4 bytes), but that's what worked for me at least.