Recovering OPTs--The craft of the DSUCP and elsewhere

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Recovering OPTs--The craft of the DSUCP and elsewhere

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi.

I feel like enough time has passed that we should discuss as a community what should--or can--be done with some of the OPTs created by the community over time, and making them available. While I understand that specifically Darksaber's OPTS cannot be distributed with out his consent--it was his work, after all-- There were also a ton of archived OPTS in his craft pack from a lot of very talented artists that have since been lost to time, with the removal of his page. In thinking of building a Clone Wars Era mission, I realized that while DTMs site still exists--which is a bunch of fantastic quality ships--There's quite a bit missing from the list. Notably some of the great CIS capital and star-fighter ships. I know that there was an ARC-170 in the DSUCP, but it's not longer available in any format that I can see.

Outside of perhaps stumbling across a DSUCP installer hidden away in an downloads folder somewhere, how can we preserve and make available some of these legacy vessels that helped sustain the community?

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am

Hallo!
Yours is a good observation. There is a short answer to your question and also a very long answer. Now I'll give you the medium-long version.

XWA is experiencing a period of revolution. OPT vehicles that looked wonderful until last year are now in need of an upgrade to take advantage of the new technical resources deployed by JeremyFr and Blue Max. Installing the latest version of Darksaber's DSUCP today might seem disappointing compared to the current standards, Darksaber has also withdrawn, blocking any possible development of his extraordinary creature. This is why the XWAU 2020 has definitively abandoned that way of making mods, and has opened a new path.

Multipacks are being developed, able to exploit the potential of Palpatine Total Conversion. Three Multipacks are currently being worked on: High Republic, Empire and First Order. The first (Empire) will be out within a few months. We hope to publish the other two by the end of 2021, but they will probably be ready in 2022. Other Multipacks will then be created, perhaps including spaceships from different eras, to carry out "ad hoc" campaigns.

To make these Multipacks many spaceships are upgraded to the XWAU 2020 / XWAU 2021 standard, so it's not an easy job.
I can anticipate that none of the OPTs created by Darksaber will be included in the new Multipacks, at the specific request of Darksaber. Some important spaceship, which had been created by Darksaber, will be redesigned to create a new OPT.

We hope these multipacks will become the basis for many custom campaigns. If anyone is interested creating campaigns based on these Multipacks, they can contact me privately and I will be happy to provide the information necessary to start editing the missions (choice of OPTs, OPT slots, etc.)

To pass the wait, you can still take advantage of the archives and download the old OPTs. Use palpatine Total Conversion feartures to create custom shipsets.

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Good to hear! I'm excited to hear that new shipsets are in the works! I was able work on recovering some of the ships from X-Wing station, and have been slowly working on generating new SHP files for them for easy use. If you (or anyone else) has a particular ship they remember fondly and would like to get a hold of, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I feel this important for preservation of work (But also because there are some very clever ships that are no longer available in any format, save for digging through the archive). It's also proven to be a fantastic learning experience--figuring out the inns and outs of how opts, opt indexes, spec.rci and the shp files all work.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm

I see this craft: "Lando/Nein Nunb Millenium Falcon Cockpit" here:

https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/

but the download link seem broken.

Do you known some informations about this cockpit ?

Actually the millenium falcon is not remastered in XWA.

If work will be very interested ...

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:19 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm
I see this craft: "Lando/Nein Nunb Millenium Falcon Cockpit" here:

https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/

but the download link seem broken.
Do you known some informations about this cockpit ?
Actually the millenium falcon is not remastered in XWA.
If work will be very interested ...
All 3 versions of the Falcon have been included in the XWAU installers for years now.
The Lando/Nien Nunb Falcon Cockpit is the default one you fly in Battle 7 Endor missions.
You can select the other 2 choices in the Babu Frik Configurator but you will always be Lando in the campaign.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi Ace,

You have right sorry, I meant the millennium falcon in the first xwa missions (family business) that actually is not remastered.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:46 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm
Hi Ace,
You have right sorry, I meant the millennium falcon in the first xwa missions (family business) that actually is not remastered.
If you mean the YT1300 that Ace first flies, then sorry you are mistaken again. It is a variation of the same Falcon with a modified cockpit using Han as Azzameen.
All the standard ships on Darksabers page are already in the XWAU.

Can they be improved upon many years later with all the new techniques? Yes, maybe one day that will happen but they are new opts and not the originals.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm

Probably there is a update that I don't known.

Is this the last YT1300 update ?

If yes don't seem remastered ....
millenium.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:44 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm
If yes don't seem remastered ....millenium.png
I think there's a misunderstanding here and a language difference. :)
Yes that is the XWAU opt. Compare it to the original to see the changes.
That was made 15 years ago now so it looks dated as I explained.

If by remastered you mean you want a Dynamic Cockpit version then no that has not been made yet but we want it to happen.
Things take time and with the pandemic and several members even having had Covid it takes longer.
Someone else made a DC version and showed it off but as of yet hasn't released any work to the public.

Sorry for the confusion but what I think you want hasn't been made yet

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:05 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:44 pm
marcop000 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm
If yes don't seem remastered ....millenium.png
I think there's a misunderstanding here and a language difference. :)
Yes that is the XWAU opt. Compare it to the original to see the changes.
That was made 15 years ago now so it looks dated as I explained.

If by remastered you mean you want a Dynamic Cockpit version then no that has not been made yet but we want it to happen.
Things take time and with the pandemic and several members even having had Covid it takes longer.
Someone else made a DC version and showed it off but as of yet hasn't released any work to the public.

Sorry for the confusion but what I think you want hasn't been made yet
Thank you for confirm, I hope this could be a way so that someone else can consider working on it.

I hope a day to see it reborn like the other crafts ...

P.S.

The last damage effects of the rebel/imperial crafts are excellent !!

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:32 am

I would like to make a clarification: we are working to replace the Darksaber opt files, not because we don't like them anymore, or because we are angry with Darksaber for what he did with the XWAU installer files. In XWAU 2020 Darksaber's X-Wing and Y-Wing are still present and can be selected via Babu Frik. We weren't forced to do this. This was a tribute from the Team to Darksaber, for his wonderful work. We are working to replace them simply because he denied us permission to update them to the new standards. Without the ability to update the OPT files that are part of XWAU, this site would no longer have the sense of existing.

I'm sorry that a person, whom I considered a personal friend, does not understand this need. I am personally sorry for Darksaber's retirement, who has done so much for this community and has taught me so many things. I'm even more sorry for the way Darksaber left this community. Unfortunately, we do not have the power to convey our emotions into the hearts of other people, so in the world there will always be misunderstandings, that will lead people to distance themselves from a community. This community is genuine and made up of wonderful people, who work not for their own personal profit ( this site is free and ad-free), but only out of pure passion.

I had written in my post above the link from which you can reach the archive of the Darksaber site. By doing this, I thought I was doing something good for Darksaber. In fact, I don't think Darksaber deserves a "damnatio memoriae". Apparently I was wrong and Darksaber doesn't like his site to remain as an archive. For this reason, I deleted the link from my post.

Master Qui-Gon
XWAU Member

Post by Master Qui-Gon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Well what ever I have done in the past is free to be used as the team seems fit. I may have some old archives and working folders somewhere if need be.
Your focus determines your reality.

PunkFriday
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by PunkFriday » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 pm

Thank you for all who are working on this, I am excited to see the future of XWAU and the new shipsets. I miss the DSUCP, but dang, XWAU as a whole went above and beyond my expectations.