Improving overall performance?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Improving overall performance?

ben1
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ben1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 pm

I am aware that XWA is built on an ancient engine and that the CPU does the vast majority of the work, however is there anything that "the community" can do to improve the performance of XWA? I guess what I am asking is that is there some genius out there who can shunt some of the engine's workload onto a 2nd CPU core (extremely difficult I am sure / impossible?) or to in some way make it more efficient.

Its something of a dichotomy as these amazing moddelers are doing these fanastic looking new ships but they are all a higher polycount, thus only making the load on the CPU increased due to the complexity of the models.

The majority of the time when I play its fine in terms of frame rate, but as soon as the ship count gets high, the game chugs and I am on an i5 @4ghz and have a 1080ti, so its no slouch in terms of performance (but not cutting edge either any more).

Erd
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Erd » Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 am

I had atrocious performance in hangars but managed to gain some frames by going to taskmanager > xwingalliance.exe > go to details >set affinity and then disabling core 0. This means the game no longer shares its single processor with one running operating systems, anti-virus et al. I found this to be a pretty good salve, at least for the time being.