XAU Install for Humble Bundle Trove Version?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XAU Install for Humble Bundle Trove Version?

Crowley65
Recruit

Post by Crowley65 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:06 am

Star Wars Rebellion, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance have all recently been added to Humble Bundle's DRM-Free game trove. However, the install wizard doesn't recognize HB's version after attempting to install using the three options available (CD-ROM, GOG and Steam). Is there a workaround to this? Any help is appreciated.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:26 am

Hi I make the installers,

Sorry but Humble Bundle is currently NOT supported, like the installer says they are for CD-ROM, GOG or STEAM not Humble Bundle which I didn't even know about.

A future release may support it, but I'm not promising anything.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Crowley65
Recruit

Post by Crowley65 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 am

Ah, that's what I feared. Anyways, thanks for the quick response!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:23 am

I've looked into this further, and what you have actually purchased is the STEAM version of X-Wing Alliance so selecting the STEAM version from the XWAUP or DSUCP installers should enable you to install them

can you tell me what message your receive when you try to install please.

EDIT: I've just deleted and reinstalled X-Wing Alliance from STEAM, tried installing the DSUCPv2.5 and everything installed as it should.

Can you tell me more about the problem your having please
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Crowley65
Recruit

Post by Crowley65 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 am

I've since gone and just bought the GOG version (and on sale to boot) and successfully installed the XWA upgrade, so at least that's "solved".

What would occur, though, is that once finished with selecting the options (optional files, XWA media version, cockpit resolution) it would begin the install setup, display that it is searching for the Steam XWA location, and then a pop-up would occur saying "You may have selected the incorrect media version..."

jackalopefeet
Recruit

Post by jackalopefeet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Getting these to work on Humble Trove version is still relevant.
I don't want to buy XWA yet again.

I've tried to manually install DSUCP2.5, but can't get it it right.

@Darksaber
Can you please give source code for the installers? I'd be happy to make install for Humble Trove version, it shouldn't be much different from GOG.
Maybe I could create a Generic "Other Install" to manually select the folder, or an "Automatic Detection" to automate it.
I'm happy to do the work.
Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Humble Bundle are a rip off, you buy the product from them, then your redirected to Steam or GOG to download the product, they are a third party seller of the same products you can buy on either GOG or STEAM, believe me I paid for the full package of X-Wing Games from Humble, then you get a key for you to download them and your directed to STEAM, I bought them thinking they where a different package of the games, when I was redirected to the STEAM site and it said I already own the games. I was more than a little peeved.

Basically I had paid twice for games I already owned, I contacted Humble through Paypal as that's how I paid for them, they replied back that refunds wasn't supported through Paypal, and I had to go through there website to try to get a refund, but if you've every tried navigating the help section on Humble it's like a maze, so I elevated the dispute with paypal, Humble never replied, I got my money back as you probably know, you have to wait so long for the seller to reply, if they don't reply before the given date, you generally get your money back, they never replied and PayPal awarded me the refund!

Sorry, but after that little experience I'm not supporting anything to do with Humble Trove/Bundle whatever you would like to call them.

And Sorry but, I won't be handing over my source code, the only supported version will be the DISC, GOG and STEAM, in future you will be better going to the direct source for your games and not through a third party seller.

I suggest to buy from either GOG or STEAM Direct!

Sorry if you have bought the games already and they don't work with either DSUCP or XWACP, but you've wasted your money with Humble!
- John Lydgate

jackalopefeet
Recruit

Post by jackalopefeet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm

I understand why you wouldn't want to spend time supporting another distribution. That's why I offered to.
Sorry about your experience with the Humble Store; yes, their store sucks, I don't use it.

I've bought XWA twice, as well, both purchases were CD version at full price, now lost.
The Trove version is directly from Lucas-Disney, it's not Steam or GOG, so it's less third-party than either of those.
I didn't have to pay for it.

Yes, their website sucks, their store sucks, and their support sucks. They began as charity focused, which was nice.
I agree that the humble Store is not worth using; go to GOG to buy DRM-free games.

The Humble Bundles are sometimes worthwhile, since they're still charity oriented, and you can give everything to charity (which i do).

If you don't mind my asking, why not release the source code for the installers?
You could get community help with them on GitHub.
No pressure, it's yours and nobody has a right to it, I'm just curious why.
Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Is this trove version an *.exe you can download like the GOG version and you install it manually or is it like Steam version, where it downloads and installs from there site?

If it's an *.exe that can be downloaded perhaps you would be willing to share it so I could add it to the installer

My installers are compiled using NSIS, which is a freeware compiler, so it would be pointless adding it to GitHub, as anyone can make there own installer for anything, it's not particularly a source code but a script, anyone could write one :)
- John Lydgate

jackalopefeet
Recruit

Post by jackalopefeet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

How can I send files privately to you?

Standalone EXE installer, "starwars_xwingalliance.exe", 656 MB (688,129,418 bytes)

The installer file properties show it as InstallShield.
Product Name "Star Wars X-Wing Alliance"
Default install path is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasfilm Ltd Disney\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance"
Doing a custom install lets you change that.

The following are the Registry keys it creates:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\X-Wing Alliance]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\X-Wing Alliance\v1.0]
"Analyze Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Lucasfilm Ltd Disney\\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\\SysCheck.exe"
"CD Path"="."
"executable"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Lucasfilm Ltd Disney\\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\\Alliance.exe"
"Install Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Lucasfilm Ltd Disney\\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\\"
"Source Dir"=".\\"
"Source Path"="."
"InstallType"=dword:00000009
"JoystickID"="1"
"Magic"=dword:00091000
"SoundCard"="TRUE"
"Version"="2.0"
"Language"="EN"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lucasfilm Ltd., Disney]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lucasfilm Ltd., Disney\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lucasfilm Ltd., Disney\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\1.00.0000]
The XwingAlliance.exe file doesn't appear to use any of that, the folder can be copied anywhere, delete the registry keys, and it still works fine.

Even if your installer is just a script, I'd be happy to update it.
I'd love to write a general purpose automatic detection feature for it.
(I love writing automation software)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm

First from your registry settings, either DSUCP or XWACP should install fine, as my installer searches the registry for the install path and everything else is exactly the same as my registry settings

As added security my installer then checks the install path for certain files only present in the GOG or STEAM install, for the DISC it checks if the DISC and certain files are in the drive, if those files aren't present or the XWA disc isn't in the drive my installers will not install, I suspect that's what's happening.

Do you get an error message when you select either of the 3 options?

I can rectify this if you do send me your starwars_xwingalliance.exe, just PM me a link if you would. Thanks

I'll probably combine the checking with the GOG selection

XWA does use the Registry, It uses it for the pilot voices as with the disc version all the wave file where installed on the disc instead of being installed in the directory, probably to save on space 20 years ago, but the GOG and Steam versions now install the waves to the game dir, but is still uses the registry settings to find the source path for the wave files

You see the source path and source dir both point to ".\\" or "." on the dics version they point to the disc drive you installed xwa from

"Source Dir"="D:\\"
"Source Path"="D:"

Delete the registry entry, you'll find you won't hear any sound effects or pilot voices while in a mission.

Plus my installers read from the registry, if you delete the registry entry my installers will only ask you to reinstall XWA

Sorry but there's no need to update my script, it does all I need it to do, and if it does need updating I can do that, as it's evolving all the time.
- John Lydgate

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 am

jackalopefeet wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm
(I love writing automation software)
Ooh, really? Because DTM was looking for a little something in this thread. :D
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

jackalopefeet
Recruit

Post by jackalopefeet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 am

Rich C wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 am
Ooh, really? Because DTM was looking for a little something in this thread. :D
I'm looking into it.

Darksaber wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm
As added security my installer then checks the install path for certain files only present in the GOG or STEAM install, for the DISC it checks if the DISC and certain files are in the drive, if those files aren't present or the XWA disc isn't in the drive my installers will not install, I suspect that's what's happening.

Do you get an error message when you select either of the 3 options?
Yes, error on all 3. It's probably the file check. I'll get the EXE to you.
Thanks for taking time for this!

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am

My $0.02 is: I personally would prefer an option for a little less automation in the installers (not just yours, DS, but DTM's REBCP also). I've made several copies of the installation directory, and I prefer to keep the default one "vanilla" (so that if Steam pushes out an update, it doesn't obliterate any of the mod content; yes, I've got auto-updates disabled, but I've also observed Steam client updates to occasionally reset that option). My preferred process to install the mods would be to make a new copy of the baseline dir for that mod (vanilla for DSUCP; DSUCP 2.5 for REBCP) and install the new mod on top of the copy. But there's no "I know what I'm doing and I promise not to run crying to DS if I break it; let me pick the install path" option in the mod installers, so I have to go through a lengthier process of renaming directories (generally speaking, in the dark, without a backlit keyboard). Beyond that, it sounds like a "I know it doesn't quite look like a (disc|GOG|Steam) install; install it anyway (and I really really promise not to run crying to DS if it doesn't work)" option would help jackalopefeet and others in obscure cases like this.

tl;dr - automation for the 99% of the time that it's helpful; manual options (instead of a brick wall) for the times when it's not and the user promises not to run crying to DS if they break something.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello,

The launcher (Alliance.exe) reads registry keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\X-Wing Alliance\v1.0" while the game itself (XWingAlliance.exe) reads registry keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\X-Wing Alliance\v2.0". In "WOW6432Node" on 64-bit OS.

To init the drive letter, the games searches a drive with the "\wave\rebel_pilot1\A0P1002.wav" file. It then detect the current disk with the presence of the "\alliance\disk1.id", "\disk1.id" or "\disk2.id" file.