New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:30 pm

I talked with Spyder and he gave me permission to share this modded version of his cockpit as long as there's due credit in the installer. So, I'm going to add a readme file, run it by korek, and then I'll upload again. It's all good now.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm

That's good blue_max, glad that's cleared up.

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am

@Trevor I combined all cockpits and came to me what is below. Of course, everything needs further work, but the beginning is already there.
@DTM Thank you.
@Blue_max Sorry for the mess, but thank you for the clarification with Spyder.

I'm still working on the new version of the cockpit.
Next version below.

Thank you all for inspiration and tools.
KW
Last edited by korekwerner on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Do like!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Korekwerner awesome, very nice X-wing Cockpit..... :cooler:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 pm

I really like the XW/XVT look

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm

I do like the new cockpit, its very x-wing 93 and nicely laid out (having instruments on the side panels makes you look round the cockpit)

Trev

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:07 am

korekwerner wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am
@Trevor I combined all cockpits and came to me what is below. Of course, everything needs further work, but the beginning is already there.
@DTM Thank you.

Next version below.

KW
Amazing :shock:

labc133
Cadet 1st Class

Post by labc133 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 pm

korekwerner wrote:
@DTM Thank you.

Next version below.

KW
That's the starfield I was talking about! Korek, Do you have a link where I can get it?

Thanks!

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am

korekwerner wrote:
@DTM Thank you.

Next version below.

KW
Love it, but if I could make a could of constructive observations:

1. You don't need the labelling of the for and aft sensors, it's very simple - forward it on the left, aft on the right. Neither the player nor an in-universe pilot would need that labelled, even if it wasn't a standard I'd expect a pilot to know his sensors. Having them labelled is a bit distracting and it takes up real estate that could be used for a bigger sensor image that's easier to see. The current placement is growing on my but I wonder if we could also see what it looks like with them suspended as holograms as with the X-Wing and A-Wing in the earlier games.

2. Very much prefer the old X-Wing style gunsight, although the current version appears to not actually have the bulls-eye in the middle (maybe I just can't see it in the static image). I would point out that as we can't see the pilot's perspective the presence of a holographic gunsight can't be proved either way, and it's part of the old X-Wing canon (as are speakers to simulate the sounds of battle, so there you go). Anyway, overall the XWvTF version of the gunsight is the most ergonomic to actually use, so I really like that.

3. The purpose of the post-Tie Fighter CMD is to allow for better target recognition and orientation - which it's very good for. It allows the pilot to engage the enemy beyond visual range and is especially useful when, for example, engaging assault gunboats at long range. If they're facing away from you they can't get a missile lock. With that in mind I'd want to preserve the information the XWA version provides. Chiefly, that's locating a component like a generator or hatch even when you can't see your target, and also being able to identify all the weapon emplacements on a ship by targeting one - useful for wild weasel runs. With all this is mind, would it be an idea reduce the intensity of the shader applied to the image? The effect looks great but making the image that grainy has ergonomic implications

I like the implementation of the targeting computer underneath the main display but I'd probably prefer the "modern" CMD there with the option to switch between the two views a la X-Wing. The upper display could then be a message log/MFD. Just an alternative option that might be nice.

Really like the way the ELS is laid out in the X-Wing, remind me of the old game where "engine power" was a number.

OK, I think that's everything. :D
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm

@BattleDog your advices are really are in point. Thank you.
Here is new version.

and here is video with the new version of the HUD.
link - https://youtu.be/g6nq6eSZYPk

back to work :-).

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:28 pm

I absolutely love this. Outstanding work so far.

The only thing I'm not that big on is the messages. I feel they might be difficult to read in its current spot, especially if it involves a mission with heavy dialogue.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:09 pm

nice

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 am

If Im not mistaken, you can still bring up the HUD element if you want the full window.

trev

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:45 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm
@BattleDog your advices are really are in point. Thank you.
Here is new version.

and here is video with the new version of the HUD.
link - https://youtu.be/g6nq6eSZYPk

back to work :-).
I prefer those sensors but I'd like to make two more points.

1. The sensor scopes are easier to see with a black background and there's plenty of precedent for that in Star Wars - the targeting scopes on TIE Fighters for example. If you are going to go with blue scopes I'd again suggest making the filter "flatter" so it's easier to track the various dots. I'd also point out that if the scopes are blue they will actually emit light and therefore shouldn't have any shading on the screen.

I'm not a huge fan of the way the laser charge indicators look right now, whilst they look very like the lights in the movies they're not very functional with all those boxes and some of the lights under that piece of piping. I much prefer the layout of laser indicators from the 29th December version - I think the original X-Wing was actually a good compromise in this regard, functional whilst evoking the movies.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:45 pm

OK, that was three points, sorry.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 am

Alright, here's the previous content, from Dec 2019. I've added a README file crediting Spyder and a few instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/koq3fb33qv553 ... 9.zip?dl=0

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up this time :)

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 pm

blue_max wrote:
Hopefully I didn't mess anything up this time :)
blue_max for accuracy …. after putting info from folder FLIGHTMODELS_SPYDER XWING NEEDED, when you finally 'click' on XWING-D-COCKPIT.shp in Mxvted shouldn't it be T-65B X-wing in the Concourse library, instead of T-65C A2 X-Wing? for accuracy...since it is Spyder's X wing.... ;) I could be wrong.... but I thought I put that out there.

Sincerely, Rogue518

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

If i'm not mistaken, the C A2 model was in used starting shortly before the Battle of Yavin, although it was probably put in prominence only after it (we know that the B model was used at the battle of yavin, no question about this)

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks Rookie_One1.... for that info, it just threw me off looking at the model number of Spyder's X-wing in the Concourse library... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Noprob.

And to add : it's plausible to says that most B models were upgraded to the C A2 model afterward, at least once they manage to flee from Yavin

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Rookie_One1 good point.... :D Like I said I could be wrong.... ;)

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 pm

The T-65B was indeed the model of X-wing present at Yavin. However at least based on the old canon, the C A2 NEVER appeared on screen:

According to the production charts for RotJ, the X-wing is explicitly the same as those used in the original film. However at least from the old WEG RPG, the C A2 is faster than the B (8 Space for the B vs. 10 for the C A2). The speed given for the X-wing in RotJ is "100 MGLT," which means that the conversion from WEG to ILM is 12.5 (this actually holds up fairly well across the board. The Y-wing is the main outlier...because WEG made the Y-wing too slow. According to those charts, the Y-wing is as fast as the X-wing and TIE fighter). So if the X-wings in ANH are T-65Bs, and the X-wings in RotJ are the same, then the T-65B has a speed of 100MGLT. Therefore we CAN'T have ever seen a T-65C A2 on-screen because under the same conversion would have a speed of 125MGLT (same as the TIE Interceptor and TIE/ln. Note there's also a standard TIE fighter with a speed of 8 ).

However I've got no idea what's going on with Nucanon.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Looks like someone gave me the wrong classification for the X-Wing **cough**Rookie_One**cough**, Eventually it will be renamed back to T-65B X-Wing instead of T-65C A2 X-Wing in the craft packs
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Darksaber….. lol ;) when I read you post I laughed out loud....wasn't trying to start nothing...…

Sincerely, Rogue518