XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm

So the XWAUP team have spoiled you lately. You've got new cockpits, ships and more. That's not a reason to want more though ;)
Recently team brainiac JeremyaFr released the Reticule hook which allowed us some dream TIE Fighter features and more.
This of course led to the...

XWAUP: HUD Reticles
(working title)

Darksaber took on the challenge and has created 7 new amazing targeting crosshair Reticles for use in your flyable Starfighters.
These replace the standard laser and missile HUD with brand new images that can be used independently from each other.
So now if you want a TIE Fighter HUD you can have one! Plus you don't have to sacrifice your Rebel one at the same time.

Here's some examples of what is possible but not necessarily the final release.

Rebel inspired Reticles - Perfect for Fighters or Bombers.
Image Image Image

Imperial inspired Reticles - For TIE Fighters, Missile Boats or even Sith Lords.
Image Image Image

The even better thing is you can pick and choose elements! So you could have a TIE laser screen and an X-wing missile option for example.
There's only a few restrictions to this but it works amazingly.

It also works with Transports like the Falcon, Gunboats and anything with a flyable cockpit basically.
The Original Reticles have also been enhanced and the little laser indicators are a little bigger. You can still select this to use and mismatch.

The team is discussing which options work best for which ships but ultimately you can make your own as you choose.
The pictures above are just templates and we've scrambled many around for coolness already.

I can tell you Darksaber has done an amazing job on these and it's been a lot of fun testing them. So big thanks to him. :)
Look for a release of these in the not too distant future!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Briljant!

Great job @Darksaber (and of course @Jeremy for creating this and multiple other hooks)

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 pm

AWESOME job, Darksaber, DTM;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Fri May 22, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Looking very good indeed!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 am

Fantastic. How obstructive are the busier ones on an actual dogfight?
Image Image Image Image Image

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 am

ual002 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 am
Fantastic. How obstructive are the busier ones on an actual dogfight?
Can't say I've had any particular issues but then I don't play MP and haven't used them in many missions yet.
I would say there's only 2 laser ones that show less but the beauty is you don't have to use them. Customise it how you wish :)

The 2 on the end I would say are better suited to ships like B-wings and Defenders. Not ships everyone flies all the time.
There's lot of options and scope for anyone with some skills to release more too.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Nice
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Great work.
Thank you.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon May 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Pretty slick!

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 19, 2020 3:57 am

Darksaber took on the challenge and has created 7 new amazing targeting crosshair Reticles for use in your flyable Starfighters.
These replace the standard laser and missile HUD with brand new images that can be used independently from each other.
So now if you want a TIE Fighter HUD you can have one! Plus you don't have to sacrifice your Rebel one at the same time.
Does this mean I can theoretically have a different targeting crosshair Reticle for each flyable craft?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 4:06 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:57 am
Does this mean I can theoretically have a different targeting crosshair Reticle for each flyable craft?
It's not theoretical! I have slight variations for all the main flyable craft I looked into.
AW, BW, XW, YW, Z95 all are using different Reticles. As is the YT1300, Otana and Falcon.

Some share the same setup like TIE Fighters but they don't have to.
So Vader, Avenger, Missile Boat, Gunboat and Defender are all using different Reticles too.
This practise can be assigned to anything with cockpits like R45 and T-wings. For that stuff you guys can have fun working out your own combinations :)

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 pm

I have just finished testing all the variants that will be proposed with the installer. Fantastic! Finally, changing the vehicle, you will always have the impression of piloting something unique! Thank you guys! :D

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 am

AWESOME job, Darksaber,JeremyaFr, Ace Antillies and DTM for testing the variants .... :D

Edit: had to clarify... :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 am

Ok guys see if you can come up with some good suggestions for General Flyable Ships.
Don't worry about Rebels and TIEs. List is below.
That will help us and also yourselves. It can be altered personally when you get the release.

Here's the guide terms. Reticules 1 - 7. So you can pick tops and bottoms from all and match.
Don't worry if they are Rebel or Imperial it doesn't matter much. Plus they can be left default too.
Lasers are the top pic option and Missile launchers the bottom pic option.
Example an T-wing could be Laser 2 and Missile 3.

#1 Image #2 Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 Image #4 Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#5 Image #6 Image
#7 Image

Please suggest good choices to use for these ships and we will take ideas on board. Have fun! :)

CloakShape Fighter -
IRD Fighter -
Pinook Fighter -
Planetary Fighter -
Preybird Fighter -
R41 Starchaser -
Razor Fighter -
Skipray Blastboat -
Slave One -
Slave Two -
Supa Fighter -
Toscan Fighter -
T-wing -
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Thu May 21, 2020 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 am

DTM wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 pm
I have just finished testing all the variants that will be proposed with the installer. Fantastic! Finally, changing the vehicle, you will always have the impression of piloting something unique! Thank you guys! :D
Glad you liked my choices so far. Still hats off to Darksaber for giving us so many options to work with :)
rogue518 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 am
AWESOME!!!, Darksaber, DTM.... ;)
Sincerely,Rogue518
Darksaber built the Reticules. I compiled some lists for tests purposes. DTM has just flown in them that's all lol :P But everything helps the project :)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 am

Also if anyone has any other designs that could be used

They have to be a simple design, nothing too obstructive or complex, as we are limited to what we could use
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Thu May 21, 2020 1:26 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 am

Please suggest good choices to use for these ships and we will take ideas on board. Have fun! :)

CloakShape Fighter -
IRD Fighter -
Pinook Fighter -
Planetary Fighter -
Preybird Fighter -
R41 Starchaser -
Razor Fighter -
Skipray Blastboat -
Slave One -
Slave Two -
Supa Fighter -
Toscan Fighter -
T-wing -
Might be good to know what's being used for the Rebel and Imperial fighters.

I'd say the best bet would be to take a leaf out of Star Citizen's book and assign the reticles by manufacturer for a consistent feel.

So the Cloakshape and Firespray should share a reticle as they're both Kuat Systems Engineering designs. Other groups would be:

R-41 Starchaser and R-60 T-Wing as Hoerch-Kessel.

Planetary Fighter and Preybird Fighter are both SoroSuub designs.

The Supa Fighter and Pinook Fighter are both Joraan Drive Yards

The Toscan Fighter should probably share the Y-WIng's reticle as it's built by Koensayr and uses the same cockpit.

The Skipray should use whatever's being used for the TIEs.

Alternatively, group by role and age. So the Preybird, Planetary, Razor and Supa could share the X-Wing's reticle, as they're more modern space superiority fighters. The Cloakshape, Toscan and R-41 could share the Y-Wing's reticle as older, heavier designs. The Pinook and T-Wing could share the A-Wings as lighter interceptors. The Firespray and Pursuer could share the B-Wing's reticle as advanced multi weapon ships and the Skipray and IRD could use the Imperial designs.

Lastly, if you want to mix and match the reticles, then one way to decide on warhead reticles might be to go with whatever their 'primary' loadout is supposed to be. XWA lets you take any warhead on any fighter, but we know from the background that actually specific fighters carry specific ordnance.

So anything we know uses torpedoes primarily (T-Wing, Pursuer) gets either the X-Wing or B-Wing warhead reticle, anything that's supposed to use concussion missiles (Preybird, Razor Fighter, Cloakshape, Toscan, Planetary, Firespray, Supa) gets the A-Wing's or maybe one of the Imperial style. Anything that doesn't have them stock or is unclear gets a third option (Pinook, IRD)
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

I totally agree with Will T (even if he's Imperial) about assigning reticules by manufacturer.
I also dare something more: the primary cannons targeting reticule in a certain way should match the manufacturer's insignia.
Sienar Fleet Systems (TIEs and Skipray Blastboat, Lambda-class T-4a shuttle) should have #6 (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sienar_Fleet_Systems )
MandalMotors (Pursuer) should have #3 (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/MandalMotors/Legends )

SoroSuub Corporation (Planetary and Preybird fighters) in my personal taste #5 (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/SoroSu ... on/Legends )
Kuat Systems Engineering (Firespray, Cloakshape, Elta-7 Aethersprite) I would go with #2 even if it has nothing to do with the insignia (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kuat_S ... ng/Legends ).

As for Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc. (T-Wing, R-41), Starypan/SunHui Spaceworks (Razor), Joraan Drive Systems (Supa fighter, Pinook fighter) and CSA (IRD) don't know.
I would assign #7 only to crafts having 4 laser cannons though. This is due to the fact that those 4 dots on top of the reticule camouflage with cannon dots in some way.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I agree with targeting reticules assigned by manufacturers, but totally disagree on mixing up reticules for primary cannons and those for warheads.
It's clear they were designed the way they have been proposed.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Or you know... you could just make something look cool and fun ;)
I get where you guys are coming from. Personally I couldn't tell you who manufactured what.
I don't think you can base a targeting hud off a company logo. That's not practical.
All laser huds have 4 symbols on top. They just vary in look.

The reason I didn't reveal which the main fighters are is because not everyone is going to agree on everything.
The team is going to pick the most suitable ones and set them up for you. Then you can use the Readme guide to alter as you wish.
Same with General fighters. If there's not an overall opinion then we'll have to pick the best or leave them standard for you guys to choose.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

I would assign #7 only to crafts having 4 laser cannons though. This is due to the fact that those 4 dots on top of the reticule camouflage with cannon dots in some way.
This is an interesting point: targeting reticules assigned by manufacturer, but with some sort of limitations given by the number of primary cannons.
If this is true, than #6 seems just for TIE Fighters. Works awfully for any craft having more than 2 primary cannons cockpit-mounted.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu May 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Same with General fighters. If there's not an overall opinion then we'll have to pick the best or leave them standard for you guys to choose.
Please, standard (#1) no. We have seen that design for such a long time...
Whatever other choice is better than standard.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:02 pm
Please, standard (#1) no. We have seen that design for such a long time...
Whatever other choice is better than standard.
By standard I meant nothing at all and you can fill in the blanks.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Stardard would probably be best overall, as everyone will always want something different

Just read my signature below ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 pm

You guys had me thinking and worried for a minute so I had to check!
It doesn't matter how many laser spots are showing on the Reticle because the game adds the right ones.
So any laser choice can be used even if the ship has 2, 4 or 6 etc cannons.