XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Re: XWAUP: HUD Reticles - WIP

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks Rogue518, I appreciate that :D

@Ace posting random crosshairs is great, but my offer is for YOU or anyone besides myself to come up with the ideas, a personnel design, something uniquely to the person posting, just post a image of your designs :)

Like I said at least 2
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 am

I'm not an artist, but here's my (terribly drawn) idea for crosshairs based on the X-Wing targeting computer shown in ANH, the #7 missile crosshair you made would fit the theme as-is but since you said both should be included I tried to come up with something slightly different and went with something similar to what is shown just before Red Leader gets a lock on the exhaust port. If you decide to use either of these ideas feel free to make any and all modifications needed to actually make it look decent, lol, this is only a concept drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 am

The "vertical mid line" of the ellipsoidal crosshair is shifted too much to the left, but apart from that, they are great!

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Tue May 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 am
The "vertical mid line" of the ellipsoidal crosshair is shifted too much to the left, but apart from that, they are great!
It was meant to be centered, like I said I'm not an artist :D I probably could have done better with paper and pencil though rather than MS Paint, lol

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 26, 2020 1:05 pm

evilmark wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:38 pm
Phoenix Leader wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:03 am
It was meant to be centered, like I said I'm not an artist :D I probably could have done better with paper and pencil though rather than MS Paint, lol
I tried to recreate something like that at the start but I didn't do so well lol Also since then a larger image is possible.
I think you did pretty well with your pictures
flightscreen5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 pm

evilmark wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 am
I'm not an artist, but here's my (terribly drawn) idea for crosshairs based on the X-Wing targeting computer shown in ANH, the #7 missile crosshair you made would fit the theme as-is but since you said both should be included I tried to come up with something slightly different and went with something similar to what is shown just before Red Leader gets a lock on the exhaust port. If you decide to use either of these ideas feel free to make any and all modifications needed to actually make it look decent, lol, this is only a concept drawing.
Thanks for participating evilmark :)

I've come up with 3 designs based on your drawing, and I'm sorry if they're not an exact match, but the full on rectangle didn't work for me, sorry so I improvised a little

Reticle8.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reticle9.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reticle10.jpg

I hope you like them

Anyone else????????????????? the offer won't last forever
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Darksaber…. I really like #8 the top right... looks more 'canon'from Star Wars episode IV.... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue May 26, 2020 9:32 pm

I agree with Rogue518. They're all great but #8 takes the cake! That's classic Star Wars right there! :)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Tue May 26, 2020 10:16 pm

Very nice! All three are great, and #8 in particular is absolutely perfect! Thank you! :D

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed May 27, 2020 12:04 am

Definitely #8 for X-Wings. Both the crosshair for cannons and that for warhead launchers come directly from Episode 4: A New Hope.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 am

For Twin Ion Engine Fighters (TIE Fighters) and TIE Advanced x1 I've found this screenshot from Episode 4: A New Hope:
TIE Advanced x1 targeting crosshair.png

This is the crosshair for laser cannons used on TIE Fighters and TIE Advanced x1.

As for TIE Defenders I would still go with #6 as it is the Imperial Crosshair.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 am

You didn‘t by chance check the very first post of this thread, did you? :P
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed May 27, 2020 9:46 am

Awesome work with those 3 new crosshairs. #8 in particular came directly from the X-Wings in the film.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Ok what about this version?

Reticle #11
Reticle11.jpg
Better than #5?
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:08 pm

I'm not gonna lie those are pretty artistically well crafted. I like em, and I am very rarely persuaded to go with the "screen accurate(ish)" option because it stifles innovation. But those would look slick on some of the TIEs.
Image Image Image Image Image

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed May 27, 2020 4:55 pm

#11 Perfect for TIE Fighters and TIE Advanced x1.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Ok what about this version?

Reticale #11

Reticle11.jpg

Better than #5?
Nice one! Good work on them all. I think you nailed the TIE lasers now. That's pretty much exactly what I had when I tried a test one long ago but much better made lol
I think myself I would mix the missile option. I would go with missiles #5 I think.
Correct me if wrong but you can use the top laser options as missiles too can't you? So you can have top 11 for lasers and top 5 for missiles.
This is all cool though to give even more individuality to many Imperial ships :)

We talked TFA before and even #9 has similar elements.
TFA1.jpg
TFA2.jpg

I still think the Lasers of #4 is excellent too.
tie2.png

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:57 pm

Darksaber….. :applaus: Reticile # 11 That's the ticket!!! :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

This is what I think will PERSONALLY do. That's me only, not XWAU, not any of you, me ;)

Will use this for my X-wing. More old school XW crosshairs. The targeting computer look on lasers didn't quite work for me in flight.

TIE FIghter and TIE Interceptor -------------------TIE Bomber #5
Image Image

TIE Avenger and Vader's TIE #4-------------------TIE Defender and Missile Boat #6
Image Image

In the end I rarely fly TIE's anyway except for Testing. But these and the new cockpits have made them fun and it's great they are more unique now.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Ace Antilles.. I am glad that you picked reticles for your personal preference... I was just referring to the TIE FIghter and TIE Interceptor reticles. We all have personal preferences on what we want... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 pm

rogue518 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Ace Antilles.. I am glad that you picked reticles for your personal preference... I was just referring to the TIE FIghter and TIE Interceptor reticles. We all have personal preferences on what we want... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
Sorry rogue. I caused a misunderstanding it seems. I wasn't talking to you or anyone in particular. I was sarcastically expecting someone later to comment later that you couldn't mix 2 as they were made by different companies ;) I have made it more clear now.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Ok one more to make an even dozen

Reticle #12
Reticle12.jpg
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 pm

Why am I so drawn to this thread? The RETICULES :D themselves are relatively simple in design but so satisfying to see. So strange.
Image Image Image Image Image

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Ok one more to make an even dozen

Reticle #12

Reticle12.jpg
Now that is nice. That would be great for any First Order ships ofc but I think it would look great in the Assault Gunboat or something like that.
Brilliant work Darksaber. Give that guy a medal :)

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:44 pm

No apologies...Ace... ;) Your selections are spot on For the Xwing and the selected TIE' Fighters reticles you just posted.. ;) @ Darksaber #12 is good too... :D

Sincerely, Rogue518