Issue with VR and Dynamic Cockpits

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Issue with VR and Dynamic Cockpits

kylander01
Recruit

Post by kylander01 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello everyone. As a player of the X-Wing series back in the 90's, what this team has done for "X-Wing Alliance" over the years is nothing short of incredible! I discovered this project just a few weeks ago and have been blown away by the content and dedication of this community. Keep up the great work!

Now to my issue. In VR, I do get the responses from the Dynamic Cockpit reticle to adjust a setting and the appropriate response happens from the given input graphic. However, it seems the "box" that the inputs are registered to is significantly lower than where the inputs are presented in the cockpit graphics in all of the ships. To put it simply, if I want to adjust the shield level, I cant just press the space bar on the button presented in the cockpit. I have to look an inch or two lower to get the input activated. I've looked for a solution or a setting adjustment, but cant seem to find one that can adjust this "box".
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm using Oculus Rift headset through SteamVR
XWAU Craft Pack v1.6
XWA Hooks Setup
May 8th release of the DDraw files
Effects by Blue_Max's Version 1.1.3.2
Rebel Dynamic Cockpits Version 2.1
Tie Fighter Dynamic Cockpits Version 2.0 (Including the TIE Advanced fix I found in the forums)
Super Backdrops Version 3.0
Crew Quarters Upgrade Version 1.0
All updated ship installers

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm

kylander01 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 pm
However, it seems the "box" that the inputs are registered to is significantly lower than where the inputs are presented in the cockpit graphics in all of the ships. To put it simply, if I want to adjust the shield level, I cant just press the space bar on the button presented in the cockpit. I have to look an inch or two lower to get the input activated.
Hello kylander01 and welcome to the forums!

I'm going to need your help in figuring this one out. There's two parts to this question:

1. Is the Active Cockpit cursor working properly?
2. Is the active region in the cockpit defined properly?

Since you say that this happens with all the cockpits, I assume it's a cursor problem. When you look around you should see a small white circle over the cockpit, this is the cursor I'm talking about. It becomes green when your gaze hovers over an active element. What I need you to do is check that it goes green on the right areas. For instance, if you see a button, it should go green when hovering over the button and it should go white again when moving outside the limits of this button.

BTW, the cursor works even outside of the VR mode, so you can test this with mouse look as well.

This cursor can be moved a little bit with respect to the center of your gaze. I did this intentionally because I found that I had to bend over a little too much to reach buttons near the bottom of some cockpits. You can change the position of the cursor and re-center it if you want by checking the settings in Active_Cockpit.cfg. However, I am aware that this feature may not be working properly at the moment because of the work I've been doing to fix the metric of the cockpits, so I'm going to double-check that too.

BTW, I believe you're not running the latest beta update. If I remember correctly I published something about 2 weeks ago.