BUGS with DDraw

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

BUGS with DDraw

MetisC
Recruit

Post by MetisC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi erveryone! First I want to thank you for your amazing work.

I have two issues with the Ddraw;

First, with the 1.6 version installed (before patch); everything seems fine BUT the backgrounds appears like 3D boxes in the spacefield. It's weird to see a box floating nowhere with half planet and other beatiful backgrounds.
After I installed the patch (or the last XWA Wrapper, same result) when a battle begins you just can see the space. You can't see your cockpit, backgrounds and any starship. You can move and hear the blaster sound but JUST a big and empty spacefield.

I tried reinstalling changing the resolution with same result; nothing. I tried several ddraw but I need the d3d11 because I want to use steam input. By the way my version it's Steam, I have too GOG version with same result.

Any help, please?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello and welcome,

You can try that:
Open hooks.ini and/or hook_d3d.cfg and set:

Code: Select all

IsHookD3DEnabled = 1

MetisC
Recruit

Post by MetisC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks for the answer, the hooks.ini already has the IsHookD3DEnabled = 1.

Same result with your last ddraw.dll. It just draws something in 3D with the "default" ddraw included in the 1.6 XWAU.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Can you post a screenshot?

Are you using the Steam or the GoG version?
Do you launch XWA via the launcher (Alliance.exe) or directly with XWingAlliance.exe?

MetisC
Recruit

Post by MetisC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:35 pm

After reading your post I tried several things and now I know why this happened; I renamed the XWingAlliance.exe to Alliance.exe to be able to use the Steam's DirectInput (I want to copy the Squadron's controller layout) and launching it from desktop it shows a message about the FPS.
It was 60 FPS's patch from XW Hacker fault. If I set the game to the standar 30 fps draws everything fine again.

If I reinstall everything same result; I don't know why it seems the hook for the 60 FPS isn't doing his job.

Sorry for wasting your time and many thank you!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 pm

You're welcome

MetisC
Recruit

Post by MetisC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 pm

So the problem it's launching directly the XWingAlliance renamed to Alliance. I do this because it's the only way to use the Steam Overlay, there's some way to launch it with Steam Overlay and working the 3D drawing?
I can't launch directly the XWingAlliance.exe from Steam because it just opens and closes.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm

MetisC wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 pm
So the problem it's launching directly the XWingAlliance renamed to Alliance. I do this because it's the only way to use the Steam Overlay, there's some way to launch it with Steam Overlay and working the 3D drawing?
I can't launch directly the XWingAlliance.exe from Steam because it just opens and closes.
I am not on my PC to try this, but couldn't you create a non-steam game entry and have that point to the xwalliance.exe? I am not sure but this might enable the steam overlay and still let you launch the game directly.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

MetisC
Recruit

Post by MetisC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm
MetisC wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 pm
I am not on my PC to try this, but couldn't you create a non-steam game entry and have that point to the xwalliance.exe? I am not sure but this might enable the steam overlay and still let you launch the game directly.
Almost every other game allows this but sadly not XWingAlliance.exe; if you add it like a non-steam and try to launch the game just doesn't start. That was the first I tried.

I had to uninstall the XWAU because it's the only way I can use the controller. And of course I have to play it at 4:3 but at least I can play it.

Thanks.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Try Jeremy's new Joystick tool that is being worked on. That may help with controller setups
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 33&t=12446
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 am

Hi Blue Max, I haven't updated my machine since late May with all of the latest hooks and your special effects v1.1.4. until few days ago. I just added your latest Beta .zip release Oct 13, today. Looks great, especially holograms. When I launch the game .exe I get this dialogue box that pops up. If I click the OK button, the game resumes fine. Do you know why this might be happening related to ddraw ? Are there certain .dll hook files modified from Jeremy's branch that I might be missing or overwrote by mistake? i.e. Time Hook .dll etc....
Error.png
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am

Bman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 am
When I launch the game .exe I get this dialogue box that pops up.
I'm not sure which hook is that one, but you can try the following:

* Update the hooks to their latest versions. There's been a few changes in the past 2 months.
* Remove or disable Hook_60FPS.dll (rename it to Hook_60FPS.dl_, for instance). I'm *guessing* that's the hook that may be causing trouble.

Another question: does this happen with Jeremy's ddraw too?

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes. But I don't have Hook_60FPS.dll. I might be missing something else. Thanks
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Did you try updating the hooks? You can also disable other hooks, like hook_time.dll to see which one is causing this problem.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:20 am

Yes. I had an outdated dinput.dll and/or a hook_time.dll file. I believe the latter, because it was 78.5Kb file size and is now 70kb. Just used XwaHooksSetup and it's working fine now. I thought your Special Effects package might have used a modified version of Jeremy's file. I know the ddraw.dll's are different. Thank you.