Yogeme Mission Editor

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Yogeme Mission Editor

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 am

Red_Leader wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:47 am
I can't be the only one excited for gray Y-wings! It was so cool seeing Red 5 instead of a generic X-wing during the Suprosa mission.

For the X-wing I picked the Azzameen setting, and for the Y-wing I chose the standard with Gray and Pirate groups. If I wanted to mess around with Allied, how would I get Wedge and Luke's X-wing, and the Gray and Pirate Y-wings? Allied only has Red, Gold, Blue and Green options.
The Mission files have been setup for certain ships as you mentioned. Options past 4 use the INI file to alter them,
So you will see Pirate Y-wings on 1 mission for example.
YOGEME will let you chose FG colours above 4 so that's something you can use.
In the INI file you can use this code. Check a mission like the Suprosa one for examples.

Code: Select all

[Mission_Tie]
fg, 2, markings, 5
FG numbers start at 0 for the code but Allied starts at 1 so deduct 1.
#4 = Wedge
#5 = Luke

YWING
#4 = Grey
#5 = Pirate

You can view FG colours in Opt Explorer. And be sure to give Spyder a massive thumbs up :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:28 am

AlliEd is basically obsolete now, YOGME is being updated to accommodate new patches and uses more of the engines capabilities.

Its a bit like Optech vs Jeremys Opt Editor (though the difference here is that Jeremy is also updating Optech)

Trev

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:30 am

I prefer Allied for messages management, Allied put the messages in grey when they are not transmitted to anyone
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm

I've been on and off on these boards the past few months so thank you for letting me know about YOGEME. I downloaded version 1.8 and its pretty straightforward, it helps having experience with Allied. However I am getting an error message when trying to edit and save anything. This is the message I get:

Access to path C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\Missions\1B7M1W.TIE is denied (happens on any mission I choose)

I hit ok, then a second error message pops up:

Verify executable path is not valid

It was close to midnight when I was messing around so I figured I'd try today but I'm still not figuring it out.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Run Yogeme as administrator, if you let the game get installed in Program files instead of another folder it will ALWAYS required administrator permissions to be able to edit it (install XWA in C;\games\XWA instead)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 pm
Run Yogeme as administrator, if you let the game get installed in Program files instead of another folder it will ALWAYS required administrator permissions to be able to edit it (install XWA in C;\games\XWA instead)
Ah, silly me! I didn't even think of that. Thank you. My only problem is I still get the Verify executable path is not valid error message though. :?

Other than that everything is working great!

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Red_Leader wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm
Ah, silly me! I didn't even think of that. Thank you. My only problem is I still get the Verify executable path is not valid error message though. :?
Open the options dialog, and on the first "Overall" tab check the path to MissionVerify.exe at the bottom. The default value should be "<YOGEME_install_path>\MissionVerify.exe", and also confirm that MissionVerify.exe exists in the same directory that YOGEME is located in (if you ran YOGEME from one location then moved it somewhere else, this value may no longer be valid).

MV is a small external utility that performs some error-checking for common errors that can yield interesting or breaking issues within the mission. If you wish that check can also be skipped by unselecting "Verify mission on save" on that same options tab.

EDIT: I'm creating a fallback to the default value so moving YOGEME won't cause this issue, and at the same time noticed the bundled copy of MV is quite old. Next release will be sorted, might be best to just disable the check for now at least. I imagine most people do, anyway.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:21 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:40 pm
Red_Leader wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm
Open the options dialog, and on the first "Overall" tab check the path to MissionVerify.exe at the bottom. The default value should be "<YOGEME_install_path>\MissionVerify.exe", and also confirm that MissionVerify.exe exists in the same directory that YOGEME is located in (if you ran YOGEME from one location then moved it somewhere else, this value may no longer be valid).

MV is a small external utility that performs some error-checking for common errors that can yield interesting or breaking issues within the mission. If you wish that check can also be skipped by unselecting "Verify mission on save" on that same options tab.

EDIT: I'm creating a fallback to the default value so moving YOGEME won't cause this issue, and at the same time noticed the bundled copy of MV is quite old. Next release will be sorted, might be best to just disable the check for now at least. I imagine most people do, anyway.
Thank you kindly, all set!

Also sorry about getting off topic in the previous thread.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:43 am

With the new 2020 install, I understand that the Super backdrops are included. However, going into the YOGEME tools tab, the option to "Apply Super Backdrops" is greyed out and unclickable. What do I need to do to enable that option?

Also, has anyone written a detailed tutorial on how to use the hooks tool in YOGEME?

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm

jmarso wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:43 am
With the new 2020 install, I understand that the Super backdrops are included. However, going into the YOGEME tools tab, the option to "Apply Super Backdrops" is greyed out and unclickable. What do I need to do to enable that option?

Also, has anyone written a detailed tutorial on how to use the hooks tool in YOGEME?
I"ll take a look at SBD, I'll probably need to change the detection when it's installed via the Mega patch. I've got a couple other fixes going already, I'll work this one out then post an update.

For the hooks, what I've included is only for mission-specific settings. Really the idea was for the user to be familiar with the hooks themselves prior to touching it, and instead of messing with the INIs manually (which you'd still need to do for global changes, anyway) provide a more convenient access method. Obviously that form is packed with stuff, and as time goes on I'll probably redo the layout into tabs, but it's pretty much a map of what goes into the INI. So I would say for now at least, look at the documentation for the particular hook you're interested in then come back to the dialog to see if it makes more sense.
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:14 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm

I"ll take a look at SBD, I'll probably need to change the detection when it's installed via the Mega patch. I've got a couple other fixes going already, I'll work this one out then post an update.

For the hooks, what I've included is only for mission-specific settings. Really the idea was for the user to be familiar with the hooks themselves prior to touching it, and instead of messing with the INIs manually (which you'd still need to do for global changes, anyway) provide a more convenient access method. Obviously that form is packed with stuff, and as time goes on I'll probably redo the layout into tabs, but it's pretty much a map of what goes into the INI. So I would say for now at least, look at the documentation for the particular hook you're interested in then come back to the dialog to see if it makes more sense.
Okay, thanks!

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Fixed, sees it and can initialize new missions properly again. 1.8.1 is posted at the link.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Downloaded and tried a test mission.

The super backdrop tool is clickable now, but it doesn't generate a useable default starfield. You still have to change the backdrops from 54 to 55 and select the appropriate shadow in order to get the 'effect'. It would be nice if it defaulted to the proper backdrop and shadow. 'Proper' is a bit subjective, though, because there are several options to choose from in the planet2.dat. The default one, currently, does not match any of them. You get the old starfield and 4 big moons spaced out around the starfield.

It is useful for dropping a complete set of six backdrops into the mission, but that can be done from a FGP library as well.What would really be cool is that if on the backdrops button where you can see the picture of the backdrop and various shadows, it depicted the super backdrop starfields where applicable. Maybe that is something that could be implemented at a later date.
Last edited by jmarso on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Is there some documentation somewhere that compares and contrasts the features of YOGEME as opposed to the last build of AlliED?

For example, in YOGEME I cannot find a way to attack a wav file to a msg. In AlliED that is possible.

Aside from the hooks tool, I am curious as to what YOGEME does that ALLiED doesn't. I haven't dug into it too deeply yet, but it looks essentially like the same thing with a changed UI. I'm not too old to learn a new interface, but I'd like to know what I'm 'adding' for the time investment. ;)

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:25 am

jmarso wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:15 pm
The super backdrop tool is clickable now, but it doesn't generate a useable default starfield. You still have to change the backdrops from 54 to 55 and select the appropriate shadow in order to get the 'effect'. It would be nice if it defaulted to the proper backdrop and shadow.
What would really be cool is that if on the backdrops button where you can see the picture of the backdrop and various shadows, it depicted the super backdrop starfields where applicable
?? That's what it does. It loads everything listed in Resdata.txt, then loads whatever the hook points at (which will almost always be Planet2.dat).

As for 54 vs 55, looks like I've got something weird going one with 1-indexed (Allied) vs 0-indexed (YOGEME). Opening an existing file like B1M1 in both it reads the numbers as the same, but in their respective dialogs the images are clearly different. Will have to see where the disconnect is.

Keep in mind that the starfields from Planet2 are much larger than the window, it's going to be cut off. I can likely scale it down with a note stating how much the image is shrunk.

That said, right now I can't seem to get any backdrops to display in XWA, regardless of what I set. I'll have to tinker

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 am

Alright, now the numbers line up, over-sized backdrops zoom out with the size data listed on the side, and stopped loading Planet2 every single time (slow, takes lots of memory), especially since now they're baked into the "standard" DAT files. Give that a shot and see if that's what you're looking for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:07 pm

JaggedFel wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 am
Alright, now the numbers line up, over-sized backdrops zoom out with the size data listed on the side, and stopped loading Planet2 every single time (slow, takes lots of memory), especially since now they're baked into the "standard" DAT files. Give that a shot and see if that's what you're looking for.
Cool beans! Will give it a whirl!

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Looking at the pic below, here's what I'm seeing. According to the Super Backdrops 3.1 readme, backdrop 40 shadow 6 should be the starfield depicted to the left.
In YOGEME, in the middle frame, you can see the selected backdrop is is #40, Shadow 6.
In the backdrops button image on the right, the picture depicted is the planet, not the starfield, and the shadow / variant is listed as 0. Not only that, when you click on the variant in this window it will only go as high as 2, although as depicted in the center, you can select Shadow 6 there.

I guess what I was looking for is for the various starfields to appear on the far right (Backdrops button) when selected. You mentioned in your note above that it stopped loading Planet2 every time; I'm not clear on what that means because the backdrops themselves look like the new ones unless I'm confused, and I don't know anything about coding this sort of stuff so I get confused easily. Is there any way to get YOGEME to show the backdrops when you select the appropriate backdrops and shadows, or is that not possible to include? Again, this isn't a request for you to labor for hours to change something- I'm curious as to whether it's even possible. The work you've done here is pretty swank- far beyond what I'm capable of.
Screenshot (4).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 am

Couple things going on here. The first attempt at "don't load Planet2 every time" used a bad assumption on my part, so it never loaded it in the first place. I spot-checked a couple others backdrops that seemed fine, but didn't check every possible one (side-effect of some of the images just being part of the defaults now). Loading that many high-res images takes up quite a bit of memory (Planet2.dat just the file size is 1GB, once that's turned into actual images it's 2+), and I don't want the usage to continue to climb every time the dialog is opened. I've changed how it works, so now I'm seeing 40-4 and it's only loading it once like I want it to.
backdrop.png
Now, an important part about this, is that when you open a new mission like that, you will not be able to see those backdrops that exist only within Planet2dat. So in that respect, YOGEME is showing you exactly what is available for the mission right now; meaning not all of the super high-res images, so 40 only goes up to 2. You will need to save the mission and activate the hook, adding "Resdata\Planet2.dat" per the SBD readme. Then you'll be able to use the SBD images (YOGEME is not going to assume that just because a mod file exists it will be used).
hook.png
Also, the RC2 attached below fixes that Add button, as I broke it in 1.8.1 and it'll cut off the first "R". :kopfwand:

The quickest way for you to verify that it really is loading the SBD images is to open an existing mission that already has the hook active like 1b0m1 (really any of them, since they all do now). Now, while I won't load the images until a configured mission asks for it, right now at least I'm not going to purge them once it's not asking for it anymore. So if you disable the hook, or then start a new mission, the SBD images will still be available in the dialog even though that won't be in-game. Technically I should clean that out, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:39 pm

:D Okay, downloaded that one and tinkered a bit. Backdrops are showing up as advertised. That is the BOMB! :D

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:37 am

Good to hear. If nothing else comes up with that in the next day or so I'll upload the full release to Github.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:29 pm

1.8.2 is posted. Functionally identical to the rc2 attached above so no need to re-download if you've got that one.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:46 am

hello after megapatch update the option of super bacdrops is not clickeable.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 pm

I've been on holiday, but I'm back now and will take a look.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:53 pm

batuta wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:46 am
hello after megapatch update the option of super bacdrops is not clickeable.
Fixed detection, new release is out.