[Help] Joystick Roll issues

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Help] Joystick Roll issues

dsolo730
Recruit

Post by dsolo730 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 am

Hi, I'm new here and I'm trying to play X-Wing alliance for the first time, and I'm having an issue with rolling and yawing. For some reason, even with "enable rudder" switched to off, my ship will only be able to yaw left or right when I move my controller left or right. If I try to change my control axis to rolling in the control settings, it will simply make the craft roll as well as yaw when moved left or right. Please help! Thank you for your time.

I'm using an old wingmaster attack 2 if that helps.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:22 am

By default, all crafts in XWA will yaw if you move your joystick left-right (except for a few ships like the Falcon and other YT class ships). If you want to roll instead, you'll have to fiddle a bit with the joystick configurator (XwaJoystickConfig.exe). However, I've never used that utility, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here.

dsolo730
Recruit

Post by dsolo730 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:26 am

I've been trying to set it up with the Joystick Config, but when I set it up that way it still yaws anyways, which is my problem.

It's okay, thank you for trying to help though!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:02 pm

dsolo730 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:26 am
I've been trying to set it up with the Joystick Config, but when I set it up that way it still yaws anyways, which is my problem.

It's okay, thank you for trying to help though!
Move Hook_Joystick_Ff.dll from the XWA directory to the desktop and try using the default XWA setup options.

Otherwise try ticking "Use the POV as regular buttons" in the configurator.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

dsolo730
Recruit

Post by dsolo730 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 pm

Alright, I tried both of those options but neither of those seemed to work for me, unfortunately.

Is there anything else I can do to help describe my problem better, or if there's other things that might be affecting it that I might not have described originally?

sorry for taking up your time, but thank you for deciding to help me out!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:08 am

dsolo730 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 pm
Is there anything else I can do to help describe my problem better
So, you're trying to make the ship roll when you move your joystick left-right, correct?

Another thing you can try is move "Hook_Joystick_Ff.dll" out of your XWA directory, as Ace said above. Then open DDraw.cfg and find the line that says "SwapJoystickXZAxes = 0" and change that to "SwapJoystickXZAxes = 1". If you don't have that line, just add it at the end.

If that doesn't work, there are still other options, like vJoy. However, I don't know how to use those tools very well. You could also join the TFTC Discord server, they have a joystick channel where you might be able to get more help.

dsolo730
Recruit

Post by dsolo730 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Thank you very much, but that also did not work. How would I join the TFTC Discord so I can potentially get more help in that joystick channel?

Also, thank you both for the help, and I'm really sorry for not getting back immediately!

syncopic
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by syncopic » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:27 pm

Maybe installing the newest xwa_hook_joystick_ff.dll works.
Download the XWAhooksetup-Tool from download area, get all newest hooks and use the newest version (it´s just copying the new files of the XWA_hooks_joystick_ff folder into the installation folder of XWAU (without the readme).

After that start the joytick config from launcher and set basic settings. By closing the settings are stored.

Good flight ;-)
It´s not a bug - it´s the user.

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:29 am

In the DDraw.cfg file there is an option to switch the X and Z axis

; Set the following to 1 to swap the X and Z axes when JoystickEmul is set to 0.
; This will allow you to fly in XWA as if it were a real plane: the X axis will
; roll and the Z axis will yaw.
SwapJoystickXZAxes = 0

I can't recall for certain if this also affected when you were in the gun turret or not as I haven't opened XWA for a while. It is possible that it makes the change but you just have to remember to use your rudder pedals for moving left and right.
May the Force be with you all.