SOLVED [Help] Game CTDs when entering a mission.

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

SOLVED [Help] Game CTDs when entering a mission.

Fegelstation2
Recruit

Post by Fegelstation2 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:57 pm

Hello! I recently discovered XWAU and decided to give it a try. Sadly, when I enter a mission (i.e. in-flight as the game calls it?) I get a crash directly to desktop with no error.
This only happens in the most recent add-on pack in the download section: v5.6.2 XWAU works fine with just the 5.0 fix, however I need to completely re-install the game to get back to that point. Any thoughts on how I can remedy this so I can use the add-ons? Am I missing something? I'm using the GoG version of the game.

Anny help is appreciated!

Edit:
Problem solved! Looks like my Anti-Virus was removing key .dll files from the install.
Specifically it was putting the files Hook_Diag.dll & Dinput.dll into quarentine. Thankfully I was able restore them and add exceptions for their use.
I guess that warning on the download page was really no joke!
Last edited by Fegelstation2 on Thu May 18, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu May 18, 2023 5:30 am

In the games folder should be a crash dump file. our need to upload that to a filehosting site and share the link here. Then @JeremyaFr can hopefully figure out what the issue might be.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Fegelstation2
Recruit

Post by Fegelstation2 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:43 pm

I can't seem to find the crash file. Any idea what the file should be called?

As a quick aside; I did follow the beginner's guide and other help materials here. Thanks to you guys for making this as easy as possible to set up, despite my current issue.

Edit; I'm going to try installing the add-on pack while my anti-virus is off and see if that works. I think it's caught a few of the pack's .dll files as trojans.
Last edited by Fegelstation2 on Thu May 18, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu May 18, 2023 2:57 pm

The files should have a .dmp ending I believe. Just check the newest files in the games folder. But yes, an overly protective Anti-Virus could also be the cause.

Fegelstation2
Recruit

Post by Fegelstation2 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:34 pm

Okay, after checking a bit, my problem is my ani-virus removing key .dlls from the install.
Specifically it was putting the files Hook_Diag.dll & Dinput.dll into quarentine. Thankfully I can restore them and add exceptions for their use.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu May 18, 2023 9:39 pm

Fegelstation2 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:34 pm
Okay, after checking a bit, my problem is my ani-virus removing key .dlls from the install.
Specifically it was putting the files Hook_Diag.dll & Dinput.dll into quarentine. Thankfully I can restore them and add exceptions for their use.
Great, thanks for getting back to us with the fix :thumbs: