Background elements stuttering

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Background elements stuttering

CypressFX
Recruit

Post by CypressFX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:51 pm

Hi guys!

I saw that some user has a similiar problem like I, but the thread derailed I think in a different direction, so I hope this is OK to make a new thread.

When playing, most of the time (not always) the background (planets, galaxies, ships, especially the background elements) move in a certain direction in and go back to their initial position.

The weird thing though is, that when looking around the ship (not moving the actual fighter) everything stays as it is. This occurs ONLY when moving the fighter. Is there any fix to minimize this effect?

I also tried the unmodded XWA version, and it seems that it has a similiar effect, although not as obvious as the modded version.

Tie Fighter Total Conversion also shows this to some degrees, but way less than the XWA mod.

Thanks for any help!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:11 pm

CypressFX wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:51 pm
When playing, most of the time (not always) the background (planets, galaxies, ships, especially the background elements) move in a certain direction in and go back to their initial position.

The weird thing though is, that when looking around the ship (not moving the actual fighter) everything stays as it is. This occurs ONLY when moving the fighter. Is there any fix to minimize this effect?
I think what you're describing is the Gimbal Lock problem and there's a hook that fixes that. Go to the Downloads section in the forums and then look for XWA Hooks Setup. This is the direct link:

https://raw.github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaH ... sSetup.zip

Unzip the tool and run it. It will download the latest versions of the hooks. You need to copy the hook_gimbal_lock files to fix this problem.

CypressFX
Recruit

Post by CypressFX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 pm

blue_max wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:11 pm
CypressFX wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:51 pm

I think what you're describing is the Gimbal Lock problem and there's a hook that fixes that. Go to the Downloads section in the forums and then look for XWA Hooks Setup. This is the direct link:

https://raw.github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaH ... sSetup.zip

Unzip the tool and run it. It will download the latest versions of the hooks. You need to copy the hook_gimbal_lock files to fix this problem.
Hi blue_max!

Thank you very much!

So I copied all of the files in the XWA directory, but I encounter still the same issue. Furthermore that hook_d3d on = 1 is never working, since he is forcing me to put it on 0, otherwise the game will crash. Isnt this some major benefit when activated?

Anyway, in this video (sorry for the Zoom, but so you can see the issue in a better way I think). I also look around the cockpit in this video and theres no issue then, only when the aircraft is moving.

https://youtu.be/3HJ8wHL1284

One more thing: I noticed that all videos feel very choppy, could this be something related to this problem? Is there a fix for that also?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:11 pm

CypressFX wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 pm
So I copied all of the files in the XWA directory, but I encounter still the same issue. Furthermore that hook_d3d on = 1 is never working, since he is forcing me to put it on 0, otherwise the game will crash. Isnt this some major benefit when activated?
It's OK to have [hook_d3d] section set to 0. It's an old method for rendering and now we have a much better way to do it.
Anyway, in this video (sorry for the Zoom, but so you can see the issue in a better way I think). I also look around the cockpit in this video and theres no issue then, only when the aircraft is moving.
https://youtu.be/3HJ8wHL1284
This does not look like the gimbal lock issue. It looks like the "jump" that the background planet is experiencing is rather subtle. We're aware of this issue, but we don't yet know why this is happening.
One more thing: I noticed that all videos feel very choppy, could this be something related to this problem? Is there a fix for that also?
I'm not sure about this one, but I've heard people work around this issue by changing the process affinity of xwingalliance.exe so that it only uses one core. Take a look at this link to see how to change a process affinity in Windows:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processo ... ty-windows

CypressFX
Recruit

Post by CypressFX » Thu May 25, 2023 7:33 pm

Hi guys!

I wanted to give some feedback, maybe this issue can be fixed someday:

I noticed that the issue got better. In most mission objects doesnt shift anymore, but rather (I think because of the framerate, that the screen stucks) - in summary it feels way better than when objects are shifting.

The shifting occurs still sometimes, but not as frequent and not as noticeable as before, but its still there. This happens especially very often when the background is like a greenish space.

Is there any attempt to fix this?

Thank you very much for all of your effort!