[Help] Running X-Wings Conversion in XWAU 6.0.2?

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!
Post Reply

[Help] Running X-Wings Conversion in XWAU 6.0.2?

Voyager
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Post by Voyager » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:03 am

In the process of getting the X-Wing conversion campaign running on XWAU 6.0.2, so I can use the speed mod hook with the Y-Wing, as well as the updated Joystick commands.

So far, I have determined that I need to keep the 6.0.2 XWAGMC.EXE to get it to launch, but I've found that the XWAU 4.0 and XwC 5.0 ship list have a lot of multiple X-Wings and other ebel fightser: i.e. XwingA, XwingDS, XwingDSG, XwingDYS, etc. These jsut are not there in the XWAU 6.0.2.

Does anyone know what these are for, why they are that wasy, and if they could be consolidated down to the single X-Wing, in the XWAU 6.0.2?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

Voyager
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Post by Voyager » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:46 am

Ok, so now I seem to be able to launch missions, with the exception of the Death Star runs. So far I've done the following:

From XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\FLIGHTMODELS
Copy all the DeathStar parts. Do not copy the SPACECRAFT0.LST

In
FlightModels\SPACECRAFT0.LST

Replace lines 155 - 160 with
FlightModels\dssurface.opt
FlightModels\deathstar.opt
FlightModels\
FlightModels\
Flightmodels\exhaustport.opt
FlightModels\DeathStarTrench.opt


Copy shiplist.txt from XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance

Copy all files from the \XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\MISSIONS folder

From either
XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\Wave\Frontend
Or ACKBAR\Frontend

Copy the folders to your Wave\FRONTEND folder. The default ones have Dodanna's voicing, while the Ackbar ones have Akbar. Take your pick

Copy all
XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\Wave\MissionVoice files over

To test the DS run, I set the first mission in the Mission.lst file to be the Death Star run. I'm thinking I've missed something on adding in the Death Star Opts. Will have to look into that further tomorrow.

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

User avatar
Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)
Posts: 7207
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 1999 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Forceflow » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:40 am

Voyager wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:03 am
In the process of getting the X-Wing conversion campaign running on XWAU 6.0.2, so I can use the speed mod hook with the Y-Wing, as well as the updated Joystick commands.

So far, I have determined that I need to keep the 6.0.2 XWAGMC.EXE to get it to launch, but I've found that the XWAU 4.0 and XwC 5.0 ship list have a lot of multiple X-Wings and other ebel fightser: i.e. XwingA, XwingDS, XwingDSG, XwingDYS, etc. These jsut are not there in the XWAU 6.0.2.

Does anyone know what these are for, why they are that wasy, and if they could be consolidated down to the single X-Wing, in the XWAU 6.0.2?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager
Lately due to the ability to have a much larger selection of different ship skins (using skins and not the FG settings directly in the mission) we have consolidated akt of the crafts into a single OPT and add the FG colors of the ships into skins. The skin will be triggered in the mission's ini file and not with the mission editor. So for most of the crafts missing it's most likely simply the issue to find the proper skin and set that in the ini-file and you should be good.

It could however also.be that the XWC added ships or variants itself. Those would have to be added back in as well. Though except for the DS trench run all models used in both XW and XvT should.be included in XWA.

Unfortunately I don't have any good old vs. new list. What I would suggest is to have two installations of the game. One with the latest XWAU and one with the last working XWAU version. Then use Jeremya's profile viewer to check which new skin matches the old crafts. But admittedly that will require an edit of most if not all missions and is a tedious process since you not only have to set the proper skin but also possibly change the crafts itself in the mission. Not sure how that worked in the XWC.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Voyager
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Post by Voyager » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:04 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:40 am
Voyager wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:03 am
In the process of getting the X-Wing conversion campaign running on XWAU 6.0.2, so I can use the speed mod hook with the Y-Wing, as well as the updated Joystick commands.

So far, I have determined that I need to keep the 6.0.2 XWAGMC.EXE to get it to launch, but I've found that the XWAU 4.0 and XwC 5.0 ship list have a lot of multiple X-Wings and other ebel fightser: i.e. XwingA, XwingDS, XwingDSG, XwingDYS, etc. These jsut are not there in the XWAU 6.0.2.

Does anyone know what these are for, why they are that wasy, and if they could be consolidated down to the single X-Wing, in the XWAU 6.0.2?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager
Lately due to the ability to have a much larger selection of different ship skins (using skins and not the FG settings directly in the mission) we have consolidated akt of the crafts into a single OPT and add the FG colors of the ships into skins. The skin will be triggered in the mission's ini file and not with the mission editor. So for most of the crafts missing it's most likely simply the issue to find the proper skin and set that in the ini-file and you should be good.

It could however also.be that the XWC added ships or variants itself. Those would have to be added back in as well. Though except for the DS trench run all models used in both XW and XvT should.be included in XWA.

Unfortunately I don't have any good old vs. new list. What I would suggest is to have two installations of the game. One with the latest XWAU and one with the last working XWAU version. Then use Jeremya's profile viewer to check which new skin matches the old crafts. But admittedly that will require an edit of most if not all missions and is a tedious process since you not only have to set the proper skin but also possibly change the crafts itself in the mission. Not sure how that worked in the XWC.
So it looks like it just works without the bunch of variants. Looks like the problem I was having was I needed to import the Death Star parts using MXvTED

Now the current instructions look like this:

Code: Select all

List of changes to get XwC to work

From XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\FLIGHTMODELS
Copy all the DeathStar parts. Do not copy the SPACECRAFT0.LST

Using MXvTED, open the Alliance.exe and one by one, open up all of the *.shp files from the XWC5.0_XvT(rebel)\XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\SHP folder. When it askes if you want to locate this craft at its original slot, click 'Yes', then Click on 'Write Craft' for each, to add them to the game.

Copy shiplist.txt from XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance

Copy all files from the \XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\MISSIONS folder

From either 
XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\Wave\Frontend
Or ACKBAR\Frontend

Copy the folders to your Wave\FRONTEND folder. The default ones have Dodanna's voicing, while the Ackbar ones have Akbar. Take your pick

Copy all 
XWC5.0+XvT (rebel)\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\Wave\MissionVoice files over

Now, you should be able to start up the game in the X-Wing Conversion campaign.

Why am I doing all of this? To get the classic X-Wing's Y-Wing power profile. To do that, the next steps are to open up Alliance.exe, click 'Tool Menu', click "XWA Hooks Updater', then go to your \XwaHooksSetup\Setup\ folder, and copy everything into the main directory.

Now you can go into the \FlightModels\Ywing.ini file and add the following lines:

[EnergyStats]
SpeedFactor = 6

That will make the Y-Wing power profiles behave like the original from the original X-Wing game.
I'm going to start playing through the missions to see if everything else works, and see what else needs to be fixed.

User avatar
Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)
Posts: 7854
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2000 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:27 pm

There is only one X-wing now.
So make anything XW say that only.
The other ones were just FG colours essentially.

It's all these compatibly issues is why we haven't attempted to look at it. Hopefully you should be able to solve most
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost
Image

Voyager
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Post by Voyager » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:51 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:27 pm
There is only one X-wing now.
So make anything XW say that only.
The other ones were just FG colours essentially.

It's all these compatibly issues is why we haven't attempted to look at it. Hopefully you should be able to solve most
Well, working on it. Had a good bit of fun getting all the controls set up for pure VR but that's sorted now :)

Did find the first broken mission: X-Wing training mission #3: Imperial Satellites.

Is there a way to tell in the mission editors which ship or backdrop is missing? Or a spot in the 200mb dump file that I could find it? I'm pretty sure it's just one of the ships or back drops that's not set right but it's not very obvious to me which it is.

I've checked with Yogeme, and will download AlliEd tonight and see what it says.

Timbo8504
Cadet 4th Class
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:59 pm

Post by Timbo8504 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:12 pm

Voyager wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:51 am
Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:27 pm
There is only one X-wing now.
So make anything XW say that only.
The other ones were just FG colours essentially.

It's all these compatibly issues is why we haven't attempted to look at it. Hopefully you should be able to solve most
Well, working on it. Had a good bit of fun getting all the controls set up for pure VR but that's sorted now :)

Did find the first broken mission: X-Wing training mission #3: Imperial Satellites.

Is there a way to tell in the mission editors which ship or backdrop is missing? Or a spot in the 200mb dump file that I could find it? I'm pretty sure it's just one of the ships or back drops that's not set right but it's not very obvious to me which it is.

I've checked with Yogeme, and will download AlliEd tonight and see what it says.
Ship, yes, it will appear as a backdrop craft type rather than the one it should be. Backdrops I don't know of an easy way. I recently did bug hunting for the Emperor’s Hammer in normal XWA and just had to process of elimination find the "bad" backdrop

Voyager
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Post by Voyager » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 am

Aaand... now it works, and I didn't change anything in the file, that I am aware of.

So, yeah. Aren't unreproducible intermittent bugs just the best?

Post Reply