Thoughts on the decision for experimental TIEs

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Thoughts on the decision for experimental TIEs

Grub2517
Recruit

Post by Grub2517 » Sat May 06, 2023 12:55 am

I should preface this by saying this is absolutely not a bash against the team or their decision. I'm not trying to move or appeal the decision, just voicing my thoughts.

I know I'm the odd one out here but the TIE Experimental series (especially the M1) has always been some of my favorite TIE fighters, and the fact that you can't fly them anymore in release 5.6 is really sad for me. Suffice to say now I'm really glad I kept a backup of my 5.5 install. In the future I might try to just slap the external models of the new ones into the old, but in any case it looks like I'm not moving to 5.6 anytime soon. The update post says they may be flyable again at some point in the future, but I'll just wait to update until when/if that happens.

On a more positive note, I really do like the new DTM models, really brings them into the 'present age' and makes them look like even more monstrosities than they even were. It would be nice to have an option in Frik's configurator to change to something more akin to their original appearance (like removing the RG wings from the M3), but even if that never happens I really like how they look now. Great job DTM.

Lastly, again don't take this the wrong way, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who actually cares about this. I know I must be in a minority to begin with, someone who hardly ever flies the rebel ships and prefers to just fly TIEs all the time, and an even smaller minority that like the experimentals so... is there anyone else out there that's saddened by their departure? I'm genuinely curious.

Have a nice May the 4th, and Revenge of the Sixth everybody.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 06, 2023 1:28 am

Grub2517 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:55 am
Have a nice May the 4th, and Revenge of the Sixth everybody.
Short answer for now: Install Update 5.6.
Go to backup folder and restore the old opts and Shiplist files.

But there will be future changes that will make this not always work and I make no guarantee of crashes. If so you will need to reinstall.

@DTM can explain more on these ships when he is free
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat May 06, 2023 5:22 am

The Specials cockpits will be back - I'm starting to miss them too! My advice is to install the patch anyway and just be patient for a few months. If you really can't be patient, in the meantime I recommend a separate installation from TFTC, where the Specials cockpits are still present.

Grub2517
Recruit

Post by Grub2517 » Sat May 06, 2023 9:41 am

DTM wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:22 am
The Specials cockpits will be back - I'm starting to miss them too! My advice is to install the patch anyway and just be patient for a few months. If you really can't be patient, in the meantime I recommend a separate installation from TFTC, where the Specials cockpits are still present.
Yeah that's basically what I'll be doing. As a TIE Fighter guy I already play TFTC way, way more than base XWA so no problem here, I still have my modded ver. of XWAU 5.5 as well so if I ever want to fly them in that campaign too I can. I'll just keep my two versions on 5.5 for as long as the experimentals remain unflyable then I'll update, I love all the added stuff you're doing but they're not nearly enough to sway me away from a version where I can fly them.

I'm just really glad to hear that you do want to restore them at some point so these wonderful monstrosities aren't totally dead yet. I do love how the new ones look though, look forward to hopefully flying them some day.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 06, 2023 11:33 am

Grub2517 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:41 am
DTM wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:22 am
Yeah that's basically what I'll be doing. As a TIE Fighter guy I already play TFTC way, way more than base XWA so no problem here, I still have my modded ver. of XWAU 5.5 as well so if I ever want to fly them in that campaign too I can. I'll just keep my two versions on 5.5 for as long as the experimentals remain unflyable then I'll update, I love all the added stuff you're doing but they're not nearly enough to sway me away from a version where I can fly them.

I'm just really glad to hear that you do want to restore them at some point so these wonderful monstrosities aren't totally dead yet. I do love how the new ones look though, look forward to hopefully flying them some day.
It's likely these updates will be going into TFTC too soon.
The old opts are being removed.

I suggest you try the backup restore as I laid out and see if it works.

The ties were never meant to be flyable and it's always been a 50/50 decision on them.
There wasn't time to create brand new cockpits.
There maybe some alternative options, I'm going to mess with and thinking of an interim solution 😉

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 07, 2023 2:28 am

Last edited by Bman on Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 14, 2023 3:26 pm

Grub2517 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:41 am
You will be happy to know your problems have been resolved ;)