20 Years ago... X-Wing - Space Combat Simulator

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

20 Years ago... X-Wing - Space Combat Simulator

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 am

Oh man... 20 years ago, that is one freaking long time. Still can remember playing that one. I used to play that game at my neighbors due to a serious lack of 'having-my-own-PC' when it came out. Was my first game I bought as soon as I finally had my very own PC 2 years later. (I bought it together with Tie Fighter and the expansions)

Boy do I miss it, I really can't understand why there was never anything real after X-Wing Alliance :(

Sadly besides this there's really nothing new to report. (As the few regular visitors certainly know) It's been awfully quiet here for quite a while again. But, we are still here, and the models are still for grabs!

May the force be with you!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm

ForceFlow... Just to let you know... since I've joined XWA way back in 2000, I stop and take a peek almost every day, I may not post but I'm here.... :D I have not givin up on XwaUpgrade yet!!!! ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

CWarren411
Recruit

Post by CWarren411 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

And to think I just got the original floppy version of this game working again...

TomJeffJones
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by TomJeffJones » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I remember when X-Wing was released, I was twelve and would make eyes at the box at my local game shop. I knew I wanted to play it but was intimidated by the package's stately design, plethora of screenshots and extensive feature list. Took a year to get up my courage and gather the soundcard and 2-button CH Flightstick to tackle the thing.

I was still scared so I bought Rusel DeMaria's excellent guidebook.

And yeah wtf is up with the lack of Star Wars space sims since XWA. Such wasted potential.

CWarren411
Recruit

Post by CWarren411 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:09 pm

We will no doubt get more games as we get close to 2015 but they will probably be for the consoles. :-(

Lucasarts website was pretty much dead when I checked it last week.
TomJeffJones wrote:I remember when X-Wing was released, I was twelve and would make eyes at the box at my local game shop. I knew I wanted to play it but was intimidated by the package's stately design, plethora of screenshots and extensive feature list. Took a year to get up my courage and gather the soundcard and 2-button CH Flightstick to tackle the thing.

I was still scared so I bought Rusel DeMaria's excellent guidebook.

And yeah wtf is up with the lack of Star Wars space sims since XWA. Such wasted potential.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm still here! :D

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm trying to pin down a more specific timeframe from people that were around it that I know, but I do know that not long after the release of X-Wing, Peter Simmons thought of what became the Rebel Alliance on the FSCOMBAT forum of the CompuServe Information Service. The squadrons that formed that Rebel Alliance are thought to be the first computer gaming clans.
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Kirejara
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kirejara » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi,

I am also still here. ;)

And I have got all X-Wing missions converted and adjusted to my X-Wing vs. TIE-Fighter installation a long time ago.

I did take some some liberties in my missions... (Han delivers with the Falcon a Wookie Commando to board an imperial Transport: "Help! Here are Wookies... ARRGH!" :D ).

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 am

still here, and still want to see the project come to fruition, even if I know that it won't happen anytime soon
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Fader
Galactic Empire

Post by Fader » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 am

Greetings to XWAUPDATE, even if people are a bit less present by now, this project is still great :)
Work in progress: Clone Fighters, the Rise of the Empire campaign XWA mod
Trailer on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BI8afj13sg
Download the pre-release: rev.0.6 at
http://www.maxgames.it/xwa

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I remember playing it and never getting into it because it was so bloody hard :D . Maybe I should give it another go for old time's sake.

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I got X-Wing just after I got married and we bought our first PC - my wife used to refer to it as 'the other woman'.......happy days !

I still blow up a few TIEs from time to time, but the old reflexes are not quite what they used to be.

Old_Jedi - nearly 50 and still X-winging...just :-)

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Still alive, althought i'm only playing solo now :kopfwand:
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Still alive, too, testing my countless WIPs every now and then.

I'm currently working myself into Unity Engine to support full FPS exploration of some of my ships.

*ducks*
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

baggy
Recruit

Post by baggy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm

HI XWAUP, Longtime lurker cant believe I never joined the forums before! I Missed out on X-wing first time around! I cut my teeth on TIE Fighter and the expantions, tried x-wing when the 95 version came out but I got stuck rescuing Ackbar (Although now I've said that I seem to remember destroying the DS but cant remember if that was before Ackbar is rescued).

Anyway I'd just like to say its good to know that there are others who are still obsessed with XWA and I'd like to say a massvie thankyou to all the fella's who've worked so hard producing OPT's, editors, DATS, Anything that has been produced for this game!

PS does anyone know how or where to get hold of old OPTS etc, I'm well aware of Astellios etc etc. I'm trying to find a way onto an old harddrive atm, could be some cool stuff on it like gringlas sssriii thing battle carrier and who knows what else.

Word Dudes!

yaglourt
Recruit

Post by yaglourt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm

20 years already...
It's funny because it's also 20 years already of VR disillusions...
And now the Oculus Rift is coming with all its great VR promises...
And the community is trying hard to make as most old games as possible compatible with the Rift...
Yeah even the very old ones running on prehistoric Direct3D 5... You see what I mean :)

See at the official Oculus Rift forum :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 66#p104801
(I'm the one who posted XWA screenshots there, little Unity dev for the Rift and big fan of the XW serie since 20 years)

It was time for nostalgia... and now it's time for a new hope ! :D

Cardif
Recruit

Post by Cardif » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Really great to see still people interested in the good old games. X Wing was also my first pc game and X Wing Alliance became an obsession - sometimes good, sometimes bad. Anyway, as said at the start: Great to be not alone with the love for these games! :-)

Roboto
Recruit

Post by Roboto » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:21 am

All of the X-Wing Series just keeps getting better and better... like a good bottle of brandi or wine. To think that 20 years have passed so fast... like the blink of an eye. Anyways keep on the good work. I´m going to try and see if I can play The X-wing Series on my new windows 8 Laptop. Wish me luck :D

P.D. Is always good to know that there are a couple of guys who still enjoy this fantastic game xD

Adam Mieter
Rebel Alliance

Post by Adam Mieter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 am

Yeah, I remember that I was sooooo excited whenever I finished a mission and got a new ribbon on my uniform! I absolutely loved how the uniform got fancier and fancier, it was simply a masterpiece! Too bad they refuse to remake that game... it would take them probably a month or two with the team they have, and could sell well over a million copies. But oh well.
Proud officer of the Rebel Squadrons.

WedgeAntillies
Recruit

Post by WedgeAntillies » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 pm

First I'd like to express my gratitude towards all the XWAUP team for their exellent work. Seriously, pure enthusiasm makes what no money can do. I've been keeping an eye on the project now and then since 2007 and I'm really surprised and happy seeing how the project persists for so long. I've never cared much about computer games but I've always liked old Star Wars movies and X-wing series. It's so nice having all these great ships.
I've never really played the original simulator and my first X-wing (and Star Wars) game was X-wing versus TIE-fighter. My cousin got the disc from abroad in the end of 1990s. I've never finished all XvT missions and we've only played skirmish flights in turn (couldn't even dream of LAN or on-line flights back then) on the days-off but it was so much fun. As for XWA, I've got it by 2003 and it was an un-playable one-disc pirated version as it was allmost impossible to find legit software in my country back then. Plus, XWA had been already considered "old" and no one sold it anymore. This one-disc version lacked all English text (it had really awkward auto-translated text instead), videos and it was only possible to play combat simulator missions for some reason (the game freezed in tour of duty mode). I've played around with it and forgot about it untill 2007 when I've bought a legit version on the Internet (and also found XWAUP). Also, the X-wing series were a major inspiration for my model hobby.
The XWA still is a very decent game and it's nice to replay a mission or two at least once a year just for nostalgia's sake.