What can you mod in XWA
in the 3D engine:
- 3D Objects (Ships, stationary objects, objects in space)
- Ship info (General info, statistics, weapon configuration, etc.)
- 2D elements (Cross-hairs, effect sprites, explosions etc.)
- Scene Backdrops (Planets, Nebulae, etc.)
- Sound effects
In the 2D frontend
- Background imagery
- 2D objects (Cursors, Icons, trophies, etc)
- In-game mails
- Campaign structure
Before you do anything, make sure your game is patched to version 2.02. For digital editions (Steam, GoG) that shoudld not be an issue as the Framework will keep them up-to-date automatically.
As for the classic CD version (you remember CDs?) you'll need to install the patch manually. [add link here]
Next you'll want to get some tools, depending on what you want to do. All tools and programs can be downloaded from Darksaber's X-Wing Station.
For Mission Editing
- AlliEd [add link here]
For Creating custom ships
- a modelling program, e.g. Rhino3D, Blender, etc.
- a painting program, e.g. Fireworks, PhotoShop, Corel Photo Paint, Paint Shop Pro
- an OPTing program
For installing OPTs and/or changing statistics
For FrontEnd editing