Once your OPT is complete there's the small matter of getting it in the game, which . This is mainly done using one of two programs:
- MXvTEd is the easier to use of the two, though it's missing a few tweakables that the other has.
- BinHexEdit, while slightly more complex than MXvTEd, allows you to make more in-depth modifications and modify aspects such as S-Foil behavior, Engine sound etc.
For an OPT to properly work ingame the following information needs to be installed.
- Info for craft library (name, manufacturer, description, etc.)
- Installation parameters (slot, ship type, OPT file, etc.)
- Performance stats (speed, maneuverability, shield rating, etc.)
- Weapon settings (weapon type, firing configuration)
- Cockpit POV
This information is in parts, included in various txt and list files as well as written directly into the XWINGALLIANCE.EXE.